PDA

View Full Version : A microtile/tile graph for the planning types

Erratus
10-04-2006, 03:52 PM
Here's a .pdf graph paper with the 1/3 size microtiles that you can print out and use for quickly sketching layouts.

augnero
10-04-2006, 08:30 PM
Thank you!!

ZiRo
10-05-2006, 12:01 PM
Excellent. Now we need an application to drag and drop buildings around

indigo
10-05-2006, 12:33 PM
This is fantabulous! I've been dividing up my graph paper by hand (with a ruler and everything because I am oh-so nerdy like that). Thank you! :D :D

p.s. this completely made my day.

C Franziskus
10-05-2006, 01:43 PM
Good job - Thanks! :)

Printed it out - now I've got to get a pair of glasses, to not get dizzy...:p ;) :D

Erratus
10-05-2006, 02:19 PM
The tricky bit about an application would be the diagonals - especially since the game is rather "loose" about placement diagonally.

Kieas
10-05-2006, 08:09 PM
Great job!! :D Now, with so little time to actually play, I can do some planning.
Made my day also!!

Cartpusher
10-05-2006, 08:40 PM
I've been using Excel. I resize the cells into small squares, then use the draw menu to make, color and label the different buildings.

There's your drag and drop tool, folks. You can also select "snap to grid" to keep everything tidy.

ZiRo
10-06-2006, 06:05 AM
Post your excel workbook please :) I'm too lazy to make my own..

Cheers

vic_4
10-06-2006, 06:15 AM
Post your excel workbook please :) I'm too lazy to make my own..

Cheers
This would be a grat idea.

Barbara
10-06-2006, 06:58 AM
Excellent. Now we need an application to drag and drop buildings around

Do you mean the game? :) Plan everything out while paused but do not play the game. Do a screen capture of your layout. Exit and restart. Use a printout of the screen capture to lay the roadwork and the initial buiildings.

vic_4
10-06-2006, 07:03 AM
Do you mean the game? :) Plan everything out while paused but do not play the game. Do a screen capture of your layout. Exit and restart. Use a printout of the screen capture to lay the roadwork and the initial buiildings.
This is a good idea,but I would like very much a grid overlay or possibility of phantom preplacing of buildings which you could really build when needed.

C Franziskus
10-06-2006, 07:28 AM
This is a good idea,but I would like very much a grid overlay or possibility of phantom preplacing of buildings which you could really build when needed.

Yeah, I've been pleading for that since CIII & Pharaoh at least you could use the water overlay for a grid - now that option is taken away too...:(

Barbara, thanks for the tip - hadn't thought of that yet...:)

vic_4
10-06-2006, 08:06 AM
Yeah, I've been pleading for that since CIII & Pharaoh at least you could use the water overlay for a grid - now that option is taken away too...:(

Barbara, thanks for the tip - hadn't thought of that yet...:)
I always use the grid in CotN and think it is one of the best features.

C Franziskus
10-06-2006, 08:43 AM
I always use the grid in CotN and think it is one of the best features.

Yes, indeed it is.:)

I think the current problem with the grid is the 'microtile structure'.
I found e.g. for what I consider a 'classic' 2x2 building to be 3 variations in size as shown in the attached picture - to be accurate in layout this 'hurdle' needs to be overcome...grid/microtile would be almost unusable...

djp
10-06-2006, 09:24 PM
I tend to use roads to measure out my blocks... Initially I just place squares of road, with a gap of 3 microtiles, so I effectively get a 3x3 microtile grid. This works particularly well since most buildings (all housing, most markets and factories) fit this grid well. A 3x3 grid overlay would be a lot more useful though, even more so if unbuildable terrain was highlighted somehow.

silvrdark
10-06-2006, 11:21 PM
Handy. The most aggravating thing for me is difficulty planning, because of the lack of a grid option. I suppose given the level of control the user is given for placement, it makes a grid overlay a little harder to make practical, but I think it would help. Another overlay I would like to see is one that color-codes tiles in accordance with whether or not they are buildable... I hate thinking I have my space all laid out, and then realizing that there is elevation to the tiles that prevent me from placing a structure. Actually, that in general gets on my nerves... I'd love to see a "grade" tool that would allow users to build on the tiles (for a cost) with minor little hills. It's hard to believe that such a small obstacle would be a hindarance to Roman engineering. Even Greek city-states had structures built onto hillsides...

Kuplo
10-07-2006, 12:06 AM
I also find it hard to sometimes build for the lack of a grid overlay on the map.

Generally i try to eyeball it, but often times it doesnt work and I end up being off by just enough to place a hedge down.

Having an overlay grid in the game would be really really nice for when I want to build the really structured layout areas. I tend to equally build structured areas as well as more organic looking areas, and I think had there been a grid in the game than I'd have a whole lot more structured areas which I actually prefer over the organic layouts because my organic layouts usually stem not from trying to make them organic but because of lack of structure.

Thanks for the graph paper, I may try it although I gave up pen and paper back in my early days when I was still playing pen and paper D&D and making dungeons on the graph paper to transfer to my computer game that was available at the time.

vic_4
10-07-2006, 06:24 AM
Handy. The most aggravating thing for me is difficulty planning, because of the lack of a grid option. I suppose given the level of control the user is given for placement, it makes a grid overlay a little harder to make practical, but I think it would help. Another overlay I would like to see is one that color-codes tiles in accordance with whether or not they are buildable... I hate thinking I have my space all laid out, and then realizing that there is elevation to the tiles that prevent me from placing a structure. Actually, that in general gets on my nerves... I'd love to see a "grade" tool that would allow users to build on the tiles (for a cost) with minor little hills. It's hard to believe that such a small obstacle would be a hindarance to Roman engineering. Even Greek city-states had structures built onto hillsides...
To check "buildability" of an area, Iprescan it passing over witha villa. When I am over unbuildable area, it becomes red.

silvrdark
10-07-2006, 08:08 AM
Yes, I have noticed you can wave the cursor over when you have a build buton selected and determine if the tile is buildable, but I like to plan out most of my cities in advance. Unless I literally sketch things out on graph paper, it's hard to remember where all the silly little patches are that I can't build on. Even then, because there is no grid layout, it's easy to misjudge your space and not leave enough room. An overlay that would allow the user to see all unbuildable tiles highlighted at once would make things much easier to plan.

vic_4
10-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Yes, I have noticed you can wave the cursor over when you have a build buton selected and determine if the tile is buildable, but I like to plan out most of my cities in advance. Unless I literally sketch things out on graph paper, it's hard to remember where all the silly little patches are that I can't build on. Even then, because there is no grid layout, it's easy to misjudge your space and not leave enough room. An overlay that would allow the user to see all unbuildable tiles highlighted at once would make things much easier to plan.
Surely it would, but with some training you can have a pretty good idea.

Matsky
10-07-2006, 01:47 PM
Absolutely a grid overlay would help, especially a grid overlay that marked the unbuildable areas. First rule of Caesar IV for me is that you spend most of your time planning, trying, failing, rebuilding, planning, failing, etc... and without even going off pause.

To go off on a sort-of tangent, I wish the undo button went farther back that one action, because once you make that second mistake, it's a reload baby.

I think I'm definately going to print this grid and just hovering with the hugest building possible mark out the "unbuildable" areas and then sketch myself some fab cities. Does anyone know where you can quickly/easilly find the "range" of each building?

I'm not so concered about diagonals. Because they work out so messy, I try my hardest to remove all diagonal roads and work in strict 90 degree angles. Diagonal building really don't work too well.

Cool.

Cartpusher
10-07-2006, 05:18 PM
Here is my count for building service ranges in microtiles:

Clinic 53
Bathhouse 71
Hospital 89
Barber 47

Shrine 47
Temple 95

School 59
Library 95

Odeum 47
Theater 59
Arena 71
Coliseum 89
Circus - dunno - I think someone said it serves the whole city

Forum 119

These are vertical and horizontal distances. Diagonals only go about half as far. I just looked at PhilW's list. He shows one more tile for each of the buildings. I started counting in the first tile diagonal from the corner of the building.

ZiRo
10-07-2006, 05:23 PM
Circus - dunno - I think someone said it serves the whole city

It does - It's good to build early on if you have the room cos itcovers citywide, its useful to put far away from your housing so you have more room for important things.. You just need some spare timber to build carts..

Zamolxes
10-07-2006, 07:55 PM
I'm wondering who built the GLYPH system for C3, zeus and pharoh, can be adapted for C4? Or vertical snapshots of the city are enuff?