PDA

View Full Version : too buggy and too much lag

renathe
08-31-2006, 08:55 AM
hi iam was pretty upset after playing the demo,ive play zeus , pharoh,and caesar 3 and this upsets me how buggy and laggy this game runs..
iam running a amd athlon 64 3500+
1gb of ram
7600gt nvidia 256mb
70gb hd

i runn titan quest and age of empires 3 on high setting no flaws..this game doesnt seem much better then they are,,i hope this is just a demo issue ,,if it isnt i guess ill spend my $85 on never winters nights 2.
anyone eles have these flaws

renathe
08-31-2006, 09:55 AM
here it is....
next time ill post in the genral sorry for the trouble

Kiya
08-31-2006, 02:02 PM
Too buggy and too laggy you say. Well, I had some problems with my laptop while playing C4 too but in my case it wasn't the drivers or my lappy being too 'weak' for C4, but just it having too much unnecessary stuff in it. My problems were solved 98% just by cleaning and tweaking it.

What come to our 'back-to-the-topic' man, don't take him too seriously. From time to time many of us post things that don't belong to this or that forum. What's the big deal? ;) And besides there is only one we must listen to here, Our Webmaster Jeremiah who is very nice and most tolerant in these things. :) :) :)

Manni
08-31-2006, 06:07 PM
We have not done ANY tweaking! :eek:

renathe
09-01-2006, 06:41 AM
thanx for the heads-up guys but still no difference would u guys suggest that i upgrade,,,wha type of cpu and video card or ram would it take to get this game on high settings and smooth..the guy at the computer store said city builders tend to be demanding on your system specs to get everything on high settings,,and he knows how fussy iam....:rolleyes:

renathe
09-01-2006, 05:28 PM
ok well thanku for helping me with the 1st 2 steps now i need help with tweaking my computer,,,any ideas..mind u i need alittle help with that ..iam just a carpenter...lol:o

Gizza
09-02-2006, 02:11 AM
I do see a couple of things. First being your display settings. You have your screen refresh set to 70Hz, when 60Hz is where it should be and that CAN be part of your problem.

?????
What makes u say that? If anything a lower refresh rate will actually reduce performance (if vsync is turned on). Not only that, a refresh rate of below 75hz can be very bad for your eyes.

If its a CRT monitor your refresh rate should be atleast 75hz, 85 or higher if your monitor allows it. If its LCD refresh rate doesnt make a difference unless vsync is on, and in thta case the higher the refresh rate is set to the better the performnace will be.

So i cannot see why u would say it should be 60hz, I can physically see a 60hz monitor refreshing. Its horrible!

Manni
09-02-2006, 04:48 AM
So i cannot see why u would say it should be 60hz, I can physically see a 60hz monitor refreshing. Its horrible!

Well mine isn`t "horrible".
I run a 19" TFT on 16bit 60Hz and it has a FANTASTIC picture, all others envy me.
You seemed to have an old monitor..........;)

Amenirdis
09-02-2006, 08:16 AM
So i cannot see why u would say it should be 60hz, I can physically see a 60hz monitor refreshing. Its horrible! Thank God I'm not alone! *g* :D
@Manni. Gizza ist talking about CRTs (I think). :)

Gizza
09-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Well mine isn`t "horrible".
I run a 19" TFT on 16bit 60Hz and it has a FANTASTIC picture, all others envy me.
You seemed to have an old monitor..........;)

Yes, as Amenirdis i am talking about crts. LCDs dont have a refresh rate per say. The only reason they require a refresh rate is for Windows and other technical reasons to do with the graphics card sending the information to the display.

I guess ill have to take your word on all that phil, :p. I do have a high end card, tho I still cant see how a lower refresh rate could increase performance. I know some monitors cant handle higher refresh rates, but if you have a computer that is capable of running this game at all, u would certainly have a graphics card capable of refresh rates above 75hz.

renathe
09-02-2006, 09:26 PM
i seem to have got it working smooth and fast with the help of phil,,all on high setting however the second i turn shadows on it shows alot of lag,,is this just a demo issue.i also have it on antialising x2 aa...any more suggestions:)

Avernus
09-05-2006, 11:45 AM
Do not compare Caesar IV to any of the earlier 2D engine games like Pharaoh or Zeus. They are vastly different when it comes to requirements. It's pretty hard to even compare it to Children of the Nile from a technical stand point. Graphics are evolving very fast these days :)

candelarius
09-08-2006, 09:18 AM
Well, I have been a big complainer here, too, about the demos performance, considering I can play most other games and near-max settings on my system, but Caesar IV was VERY laggy....

BUT, I purchased a new video card this week and now the demo plays great! I can play Caesar IV at near max settings with no noticeable lag at all...so, my problem was my graphics card. I had an ATI X300 128mb. Now I have an ATI X1600 512mb, and, everything is beautiful.

I suggest those with powerful systems, who can't run the game well, upgrade your video cards. For only 200 bucks (after mail-in rebate) I totally changed my gaming experience.

Keith
09-08-2006, 02:00 PM
Congrats on the new video card! Enjoy the demo. :)

Alexstarfire
09-13-2006, 11:36 PM
One thing I noted about the game, at least the demo version, is that when some settings are turned on the performance changes drastically. I've noticed that if reflections are turned on and water detail is set to high that performance dropped into the crapper, about a 80% drop in performance. I turned those off and set AA to max and still got about 2x the performance out of the game.

I'm not sure why those two are so demanding, but there is no reason why water reflection should be that demanding, especially if water animations aren't turned on.

Ryster
09-24-2006, 07:05 AM
Another thing that people need to realise is that to get the demo out so soon before the game is released, it is based on BETA code. Beta code is never optimised for performance and this is something that is done towards the end of the beta cycle.

I am an official beta tester for Microsoft and am currently Testing Messenger 8.1, Windows Vista and Office 2007 (amongst other things). Windows Vista only now is getting to a good performance level. Earlier on in the beta the OS was slow and sluggish, but now on build 5728 performance is very good (except for some excessive disk activity, but more ram should cure that).

So remember that the final product will be 200% better than the demo we have seen. I would recommend that Tilted Mill put out a new demo to replace the old one though. Many people get the demos to see what a game will play like on their system before purchasing the full thing. The current demo will most definately put people off buying it.

Amaresh
09-27-2006, 07:57 AM
I have a 7600GT and I was having the same issues till i upgraded to the latest forceware (91.47) and turned off shadows/reflections and lowered the AA & AF. Loving the demo ;)