Tilted Mill Community
Tilted Mill / Medieval Mayor /Nile Online / Mosby's Confederacy / Hinterland / Children of the Nile / SimCity Societies / Caesar IV

Go Back   Tilted Mill Community > Children of the Nile - Official Forums > Game Help & Strategy

Old 04-12-2012, 03:34 AM
Vagrant

Smile Sanctuary, Kharga Oasis. Little bit of help?

Just when I thought I was becoming good at COTN I am now on the excellent Kharga Oasis and realise I have a lot to learn. On my fourth attempt now.

Please don't get me wrong, I am not asking for a walk through but just some pointers.

I can arm my soldiers, build up stocks of weapons, mine gold etc and keep the population relatively happy, 32 farms but never get above 2000 food. Trade food for gold and Emeralds but its never enough. Trade for Statues but run out of resources

Should I ignore building an Army and let the raiders get on with it and just concentrate on food and weapons? Then perhaps slowly start mining Gold etc to trade as at the moment I think my city is too big to feed itself. Three nobles and ten educated workers, plus 30 labourer's and 15 weapon makers. Not forgetting 36 Soldiers and the farmers, brick makers etc.

There must be a way to do it, as I think I am approaching it wrongly.
Perhaps somebody can prevent me from totally cracking up!
Old 04-12-2012, 09:53 AM
Luminary

You don't want the raiders to keep raiding your city. This upsets the nobles.

A city guard commander, city guards armed with at least clubs or better, and some guard posts near the the likely entrance points to your city for the raiders so they can be intercepted before they can do much damage.

You want an army to attack their camps and to supress the raiders. The raider camps will keep returning after a while and you just have to send out your army again to deal with them.

Don't trade away all of your food. You may have to close a trade route for time to allow your food stocks to build. You can always turn the trade route back on later.

A granary in the palace as one of the upgrades will help at first.

All I can say is if you think your city is too big, try building more carefully and smaller or more compactly to get the most out of fewer people. Try hard to maximize the number of farms. Remember upgraded luxury townhouses control more farms than ordinary townhouses. So provide the things nobles want to get them to upgrade. Raids don't help with this.

Have several scribes counting fields to ensure that the maximum amount of fields get counted each year. This will help maximize your food supply.

Other than that just be persistant and keep trying.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:13 AM
Vagrant

Thanks Keith for your help and advice. I was missing building enough Granaries and being a little too impatient.
Would recommend anybody who wants a different challenge to download it. All credit to its creator.
Thanks again.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:08 PM
Commander

It's been a while since I played, and I don't remember the details of this scenario but 3 Nobles and 32 farms isn't many.

Think 8 or more Nobles and maybe 100 farms or more.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:22 AM
Vagrant

Yes, I agree. But you are only allowed 3 Nobles and no Scribes. Virtually all food has to be imported, and to win you must accumulate 20.000 food among other things. Trade Statues for food but you have import the statues in the first place. Challenging.
My problem was feeding the populace and mining all materials, producing all arms and keeping an army going. Needed an army as the raiders cut off your trade routes unless contained.
Built too big, played it as you would normally but soon ran out of food and patience. Patience is a virtue, (so they say) so at my fourth attempt succeeded.
Going to play it again to prove to myself that I can do it.
If not, probably be back moaning that I am having problems!!!!