Tilted Mill Community
Tilted Mill / Medieval Mayor /Nile Online / Mosby's Confederacy / Hinterland / Children of the Nile / SimCity Societies / Caesar IV

Go Back   Tilted Mill Community > Caesar IV - Official Forums > Game Help & Strategy

Old 08-02-2008, 07:37 PM
Vagrant

Default housing block strategy?

what kind of housing block strategy would be good for any of us that just started the map? While placing the plebs housing is easy enough, I had a hard enough time trying to find a good spot for equites and patricians.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Noble

Howdy, pheeph!

There are a zillion possibilities, but this is what I use. 6 Insulae are the same size as 4 Domus, you can build back-to-back rectangles with services on the outside.

My initial build is 12-24 Insulae & 8 Domus before I ever come off pause. Patricians much later after I get exports & military up to speed.

Other players prefer services on the inside using a 2x2 Domus = 3x3 Insulae square design. The space in those squares for services.

I also use a 12 Patrician block with a cross road in the middle (2 2x3s) & row of big trees in the middle for enough beautification to go to Grand Mansions w/o needing to plaza the roads. This allows me to only need 1 of most services, except clinic, Odeum & school. Three barbers. Assumes religion handled by temples & not shrines. this Patrician block is guaranteed 100 Prosperity for a city of about 8000+
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ex Decorum Veritas 07-08-07 14-47-02.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	26514  
Old 08-02-2008, 11:42 PM
Overseer

Send a message via Yahoo to aramann

I use Kach's housing blocks, you should be able to find them here:
http://caesar4.heavengames.com/
Old 08-03-2008, 10:52 AM
Commander

Tinkerbell, very nice city there. Love the map, which one is it?
Old 08-03-2008, 10:59 AM
Overseer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatMajik View Post
Tinkerbell, very nice city there. Love the map, which one is it?
where's my publicity agent when I need her? (only kidding A! )
Old 08-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Overseer

Send a message via Yahoo to aramann

This lovely map would be found in the User Created Forum under the lovely title of "Ex Decorum Veritas". Adds a little something to those "ratings" we all labour so hard to try and keep up.
Of course, this particular map and scenario were created by the omnipotent Hieronymus.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:12 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheeph View Post
what kind of housing block strategy would be good for any of us that just started the map? While placing the plebs housing is easy enough, I had a hard enough time trying to find a good spot for equites and patricians.
While doing the campaigns, the thing I found was to try to give full coverage of services to all houses from the beginning. Getting in the habit of doing that makes it much easier when you get to the final scenarios where they want really high ratings.

To do that, I ended up putting all the structures with the smaller ranges at the center of the houses -- shrines, barber, clinic, odeum, school. (Look at my first attached image.) This is done in 2 12x18 spaces (a shrine is 4x4). I add a road between the shrines, barber and the school clinic to extend the range of that pesky barber. The remaining spaces can be filled with fountains, prefects and engineers, not to mention some aesthetic things if you want.

On either side of this, I have 2 18x18 areas that can fit either 4 domus or 8 insulae for a total of 4 blocks of houses. Around these, I place the other services. The theatre, arena and bathhouse have to be placed with care to ensure full coverage. I can also mirror the block around the coliseum to forum axis which will share these services; all I need to do is add the services in the shrine blocks and the theatre. I can place markets around the exterior and even a few patrician houses. People will walk to the market, but I tend to keep the plebes closer to the food market side of things.

I don't tend to build seperate blocks for patricians, but add them into my "typical" block. (See my second attached image.) If I need more patricians, I can push the markets out further and add more patricians around the exterior. (There are 7 total here. With a mirrored block it would be 14.)

I find I tend to use the center shrine blocks as a starting point, but I mix things up on the exterior, just making sure that I keep that perfect coverage for services.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Djedu 07-08-05 22-41-10.jpg
Views:	968
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	26528  Click image for larger version

Name:	Djedu 08-01-10 23-19-42.jpg
Views:	837
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	26529  Click image for larger version

Name:	Twelve Days 08-01-07 09-48-56.jpg
Views:	940
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	26530  

Old 09-01-2008, 07:02 AM
Craftsman

I ususally mix the domuses in with the plebs. It makes it easier for the market ladies to keep the food supply steady. you only need 1 luxury shop and wall in both plebes and domus for them to evolve too.

Patricians are build seperate ofcourse, though sometimes I plunge in some workers too if I can't fit anymroe in to my working area.

If you got a flat land and need high ratings, you can use one of the suggestions above, but for ratings of 75 culture or less, you don't really need to plan anything.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:43 AM
Vagrant

Default kach-block

I 've tried the kach-block, and I was really amazed. You can't do better!
Old 09-16-2008, 04:50 PM
Vagrant

I've been hunting around Heavengames for the Kach Block. Can't find it

Can someone point me to the location? Thanks.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:50 PM
Vagrant

Here try this link of kach's Carthago walkthrough. It has a mini map of the block and pics.

http://caesar4.heavengames.com/downl....php?fileid=57
Old 09-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Vagrant

Excellent. Thanks, Waterhill