campaigns ?????????????

If you need any help, or want to discuss strategy, this is the place!
Jytte

campaigns ?????????????

Postby Jytte » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:48 pm

I just don't get it. My Cotn came with Alexandria and Grand Campaign, both of which I can open and play.
I have downloaded 2 more campaigns (ssa files). At present I have one of them in my 'own folder' where all my other downloaded scenarios are, except of course in the 'campaigns' folder. The other I put in the main game folder, right where Grand Campaign sits. But NONE of these show up in the game.
All I get when I click on 'other campaigns' is "no custom campaigns could be found" ???????
I tried to go to editor to see if it would show them, but it doesn't even have an 'edit campaign'.
What in the name of Set else am I supposed to do???
And with no 'edit campaign' you can make one, but not edit one??? That's really weird.

Can somebody tell me how I get to play one of these campaigns I downloaded ?
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Keith

Re: campaigns ?????????????

Postby Keith » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:08 pm

The Alexandria extension to the game only sold via STEAM. When Installed it moved all the game files used by the now STEAM version of the game to a new subfolder for Children of the Nile created in a folder named Steam. You have to put any files you want to use in the Alexandria version of CotN into the Children of the Nile subfolders appropriate for that type of file.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Children of the Nile Alexandria

In short if you put them in the old DVD version of the game folders the game won't find them They must be placed into the STEAM Children of the Nile sub folder for them to appear on the menu.

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:30 pm

I don't have steam, I downloaded from GOG "complete edition with Alexandria".
I installed it to a folder I created for that purpose C:\@GAMES\Children of the Nile Complete
and the program itself created "..\Users\name\Documents\Tilted Mill\Children of the Nile, where all my saved games, downloaded or self made scenarios etc are placed.
in the main folder where all the data files for the progam are located, are also the scenarios that came with the game, and in that campaign folder is 'GrandCampaign.ssa" and "NewKingdom.ssa". GrandCampaign runs, NewKingdom does not.

Edit:
Having no clue I nonetheless went into 'create campaign' and added a couple of my scenarios to it. As I went to save it, it came up with a list of already saved campaigns: GrandCampaign, NewKingdom and TheThreeHourTour..... and now also MyCampaign....
so it knows they're there, albeit in different folders, but it plum refuses to play them. When I now go to Play, Other campaigns.... only my own just made 'MyCampaign' shows up.

Also, I read a post somewhere here that someone wasn't able to play a campaign, but played the scenarios as stand-alone. How would that be possible unless the scenarios were in fact there. When I downloaded the campaigns, I only got the campaign.ssa file. No other files were added. Whereas, for the Grand Campaign, I have the scenarios (Nekhen, Nubt and Men-Nefer) individually in my scenarios folder. I can understand why the program won't run a campaign without the underlying scenarios, but how do you extract those???
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:39 am

If my memory is right, scenarios aren't contained in a campaign.ssa file.

That file is only a pointer to the individual scenarios, gating them so the appropriate one is listed at the appropriate time. You must have the scenarios as well.

There's a section about campaigns in the editor's manual.

I think another reason you might not be seeing those downloaded campaign files is that they're perhaps not Alexandria-compatible. I think it hides scenarios and campaigns made in the earlier version, but I don't recall. Keith might remember better than I do.

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:58 am

You'd think it would be backwards compatible, wouldn't you?
From manual:
Once the scenarios have been saved in the correct folder, add them into the campaign in the desired
order, give the campaign a name, and save it. Then this file can be distributed to players as a stand-alone
package which includes all scenarios and media files.

Click Save to save the current campaign using the name in the Campaign Name text box. The file is
saved into the ..\data\campaigns directory. Saving a campaign also automatically compiles all the
necessary components of the campaign, such as scenarios and media files, so that the campaign file
is all a user needs to play the campaign (the file must be placed in the ..\data\campaigns folder by the
user to be available).

That's it.
How it's supposed to work, I don't know. But for me it won't.
I don't really care about the 'campaign' as such, but it would be nice to have at least the scenarios.
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:55 am

Yahya wrote:I think another reason you might not be seeing those downloaded campaign files is that they're perhaps not Alexandria-compatible. I think it hides scenarios and campaigns made in the earlier version, but I don't recall. Keith might remember better than I do.

As I recall, only the older version of the game should have problems with files created by the latest version of the game. An up to date game should be able to play any file created by a older version of the game.

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”