List of Useful Forum Threads

If you need any help, or want to discuss strategy, this is the place!
Yahya

List of Useful Forum Threads

Postby Yahya » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:04 pm

Greetings, all!

This thread was started as a central reference to all the really great threads (in my opinion) that have been made over the past two-plus years. I intend to keep it updated as new threads become available.

Basically, the criteria that I am using are that the thread be instructive, and that it either helped me two years ago when I was learning the game, or if I believe the thread will help a new player, particularly veterans of previous city-builder games, due to the differences between CotN and its ancestors. :p

If you see a thread that is not listed here, and think it should be included, please let me know, and I can include it. This is not a dictatorship! :)

And now, the list:
Beginner's Guide to Monument Building, started by Azeem - Excellently detailed message on...monument building! A must-read for all new and old players alike!

Campaign Road Map, posted by TM's David Beebe - This is the list and simple description of each of the original scenarios shipped with CotN, and how they stack up either as part of the original Grand Campaign, or as a sandox. This is a sticky at the top of the forum Game Help & Strategy, but most people (including me) miss it. It is defnitely worth reading.

City Designs, posted by MarkDuffy - A recent forum post by MD that groups several threads / posts about city design into one post, and helps show the evolution of city designs from a community standpoint.

CotN Hints & Tips, by Speedy7th. This is a great post that aims to help out new players and point them in the right directions for help, and some general tips.[/font]

Don’t build on clay sprites by MarkDuffy, This is a great post that explains why we shouldn’t just plop down housing at the edge of the floodplain, and how by optimizing the locations of brickmakers, and avoiding covering the clay sprites, we can use less brickmakers and make more prestige!

Educated Workers / Prestige Table, started by MarkDuffy - chart about the number of educated workers you get for prestige at Normal and Hard difficulty.

Important Things left out of the Tutorials, started by me as an idea to edit the tutorials, but MarkDuffy makes a reply in post #2 that lists a whole bunch of great tips that are missing form the tutorials. Advise reading this if you did the tutorials and are still confused. (We all were! :D )

Laborers, started by Thain - How laborers go to work. Post #4 and #8 solve a riddle that we were curious about shortly after the game's release - that being, that BARGES are necessary to transport any blocks (granite, basalt, limestone, or f. limestone) across the Nile. Very important!

Maintaining a Stable Society, started by Azeem- Great thread on building carefully and strategically.

Overseer Allocation, by Jimaaten. This is a great post that explains exactly how an overseer allocates construction materials to a pyramind. Definitely worth a read.

Sage Advice, started by NanaBanana - Basic CotN philosophy, that will greatly help you if you have played other CB games.

Whats a good build order?, by miscellaneous people. There are several examples of players' build orders. They are all fairly similar, but on closer examination, they differ quite a bit, and show just how versatile CotN is. Try them all!

Added on 23 April 2008:
Gameplay Efficiency Tips, started by Kilash, This was originally a question, but generated many great answers on how temples, shrines, healthcare, and schools work with priests.
Last edited by Yahya on Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:04 pm

Reserved. Just in case. :)

jellyfish

ummm...

Postby jellyfish » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:20 pm

Your work is appreciated, and I must admit those threads are in fact very interesting.

However, I noticed one conspicuous detail. In both of those threads you listed, your name suspiciously appears, whereas certain other names, my own for instance, does not. Mere coincidence? I think not. So this seems to imply, at least upon initial review, that you are suggesting that threads in which your name appears are somehow deemed more interesting than threads in which other names, for instance, my own, appears. So ummm, seriously.... ;)

Could this be discrimination by the 'magnates' towards the 'deputies'? I am now (just recently) fully in support of this kind of behavior being directed towards the 'clerks' ('vagrants' was really a more appropriate term). But come on....against 'deputies'? I am one of you now. How many posts separates me from you? 5...10....Do I not bleed?

Edit: I just checked...Apparently more than 200 posts separate us. So ummm....I guess I will just go hang out with the rest of the plebians and keep quiet.
Last edited by jellyfish on Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:25 pm

:D LOL! That is a total coincedence, and purely unintentional.

I am in the process of adding more, and I suspect I will come across thread with your name in them. :)

I just added those three initially, and went back to reading. I suspect there will be 20 or 30 threads when I am done.

Hmm, now I must find some that have posts from jellyfish... :p

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:27 pm

jellyfish wrote:Could this be discrimination by the 'magnates' towards the 'deputies'?...How many posts separates me from you? 5...10....Do I not bleed?

LMAO. Classic.

jellyfish

Postby jellyfish » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:28 pm

Yahya wrote:I am in the process of adding more, and I suspect I will come across threads with your name in them.

Threads with my name in them...yes.
Interesting threads with my name in them...highly unlikely.

Anyway, keep up the good work.
Last edited by jellyfish on Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:56 pm

Last edited by MarkDuffy on Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:59 pm

Got it, MD. Thanks!

I will have to make a big push tonight, after dinner.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:02 pm

So, I made that big push, and made it back to early 2005 in the forums, and I found there aren't that many more threads.

Unless I missed something. If anyone has anything they'd like included, please advise.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:20 am

I want to bump this, because I just added the MD list of city design threads.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:35 pm

Added the Campaign Road Map.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:29 pm

Added two things brought up to my attention by MD, that I had previously left out.

My bad, MD! :eek:

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:56 pm

Does anyone see any other great threads to add to this?

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:37 pm

One hint though. Could you kindly change the colours so that the thread title and the person who started it have different colours? This way the subject comes more clearly out of the text, while the person's name is a bit less important. (The same thread can have equally important other posts.)

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:59 pm

Good idea. :)

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:05 pm

Looks very nice now, thanks Yahya. :)

AEster

Postby AEster » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:14 pm

Yahya another sticky??!! :D

Great collection...............

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:12 am

I'd like that. We have to petition Reed at TM to get that done, and I suspect not. :(

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:03 am

I hate bumping threads, but I want this one near the top.

Does anyone know if it is possible to have a signature on these boards? I'd like to just include this thread in my sig. I could always copy and paste the shortcut everytime, but that would get a bit tedious, I think. :D

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:55 pm

Updated to add Speedy7th's Hints & Tips thread.

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”