Problems with Stele/granite site

If you need any help, or want to discuss strategy, this is the place!
Psylocke

Problems with Stele/granite site

Postby Psylocke » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:29 pm

My first overseer at the granite site got home straight away after reaching the granite site, so I kicked him out and replaced him with another overseer. The laborers have managed to make a few steles, but they won't pull them to across the river where I want them!
I have a boat for them to transfer it on, but they prefer to just stand around in their homes and do nothing.

Help! :confused:

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:08 pm

Hi Psylocke,

The solution to this problem depends on the cause. You state that you have a boat for them to transfer on, but what type of boat is it? Laborers require a barge, built by a shipwright, to transfer goods across the Nile.

If you do have a barge, and not just reed boats, and the workers still aren't moving the blocks, then that means they perceive the distance as too great, or their path is blocked by something, or there is no destination for the goods in their city.

I believe that granite and stele quarries will allow an overseer and laborer to quarry objects as soon as a base is placed (but I'm not postive about that), which means the stuff could be quarried, and will then sit there until another (or the same) overseer triggers the laborers to haul the block to the site, by standing there to activate the site. He must be set to Oversee Construction to do this.

Just some ideas.

Psylocke

Postby Psylocke » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:32 pm

Thanks for the suggestions!
I have a barge, sorry I forgot the word for it before. :) And I think that the laborers living on that side of the river should be able to pull the steles from the quarry to where I want them in a day so it shouldn't be about the distance.
However, now the laborers won't even go to the basalt quarry to work or to bring home all the statues.

Should I kick them all out and get me some new laborers?

Because I've tried different settings with my overseers. I've made them go to their quarries (however the laborers won't join them) and I've set them to oversee the construction, but the laborers just remain in their homes. it's so frustrating! :(

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:29 pm

I assume that you have your Overseer set to Construct & at least 8 laborers, Psylocke, & that you actually have placed the propaganda stele bases & got them built from bricks, instead of just a World Map Open/Upkeep triggering the quarrying.

My best guess, w/o your game save, is that one of your Barge Landings does not stick out far enough into deep water & it is probably the quarry side, cuz we usually build multiple on our city side. Try building another landing, one on each side of the Nile, if necessary. They really don't have to be that close in a direct line. Barges should reach the entire map.

If worst comes to worse, you can always build your steles next to the quarry. ;)

EDIT: Please include the city name in problem posts. You will be amazed, how much additional information that gives us. :)
Last edited by MarkDuffy on Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Psylocke

Postby Psylocke » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:50 pm

Yup, everything was ready, I just needed the steles in place.

I deleted all of my laborers and added new ones, and they atleast brought the statues in place, but none of either side of the river touched the steles.

After reading your reply, I placed barge landings wherever I could and most of them got their own barge boats, but still it wouldn't work, so I don't know if it's a bug or something wrong with the map. Sorry I didn't mention before, but the city is Nekhen, the first (easy) one on the campaign. This is my third re-installment of the game (I've actually never finished it! :eek: ) and I've never had a problem with Nekhen before?

I'm moving on to a new city, but it'd be good if someone could figure this out in case it happens again. :)
Thanks for the help so far, I really appriciate it! :D

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:54 pm

Upload your game save by using the Manage Attachments below the Posting Box, Psylocke. Your game save is in your Data Folder.

I will fix it for you & show you how I did it. :)

jensoko

Postby jensoko » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:21 pm

So you need a shipwright to build a barge that will allow your laborers to bring statuary or stele to the other side of the river? I'm about twenty years into Nekhen, and I've had a cult temple standing for about ten of them, waiting for a statue that never comes, while my ten laborers sit scratching their butts. Nothing I do seems to motivate them and I've got barge landings galore. I even bulldozed the temple and rebuilt it. ::headdesk::

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:33 pm

Barges are definite requirements if the needed stele, obelisks, or statuary on the opposite shore. Only the shipwright can construct "local barges."

Miut

Postby Miut » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:28 am

You need to Trade for the cedar wood used for boats. Acacia only builds furniture and maybe some statues.. Same goes for Chariots - cedar. :)

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”