Prestige grows & grows educated limits do not...

If you need any help, or want to discuss strategy, this is the place!
ckinsobe

Prestige grows & grows educated limits do not...

Postby ckinsobe » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:37 am

So I have been working on increasing my prestige because I want to keep expanding my first metropolois (laret) but I have been stuck at 35 max educated for ages and my prestige has gone up almost 60 points. I am at 320 or so at the moment. MY max 35 have been since the low 200's

Is this normal? Have I maxed out at 35 educated? No point in continuing the buildup then since I will not have enough priests/scribes/ etc....
I am finished on the world level as well want to keep building and improving, the laborers have just started laying the stones for my Large Pyramid.

Not ready to move on...

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:51 am

Howdy, Ckinsobe!

Yes, that is correct. Prestige of 200 is the top of the Educated Worker Tables. 35 Educated slots for Normal & 25 for Hard.

Educated Workers / Prestige Table

ckinsobe

Postby ckinsobe » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:23 am

Wow, that is so disappointing! I really wanted to go nuts builidng a megalopolis but how can I possibly do that when educated cuts off at 35?

I hope that is changed in the updgrade.

I was just getting started fine tuning my city. I already killed of all commanders except one, so I could add more of the others but I was hoping to keep building temples, adding nobles, and farmers but will then constanly end up with health care and worship complaints since there will not be enough to keep everybody happy. It was already becoming harder since I added tons of people in the lasf few years.

Should I also start getting rid of soldiers and weapons makers as well, since my military forays are finished...that way I can have the resources available for others. But won;t they turn into vagrants if I kill them off? I already have quite a few of those, all appearing in the last few years.

I have started other cities, but kind of feel attached to this one and want to grow it till I run out of room!

Davus Antonius

Postby Davus Antonius » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:43 am

Well here's a file I just worked up for you to play with. This file only alters the normal difficulty level, giving you 4 times the regular number of educated workers.

Remember to back up the original file before you overwrite it with this one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ckinsobe

Postby ckinsobe » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:57 am

Wow! Thanks!
Pardon my ignorance but where do I actually download it into and what file do I back up?

I have been trying to figure it out but am at a loss. This is my path to the game:
C:\Program Files\SEGA\Immortal Cities

Are the additonal educated workers spread out according to prestige levels as in the regular game or will I get them all in one go?

Davus Antonius

Postby Davus Antonius » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:10 am

"ckinsobe" wrote:Wow! Thanks!
Pardon my ignorance but where do I actually download it into and what file do I back up?

I have been trying to figure it out but am at a loss. This is my path to the game:
C:\Program Files\SEGA\Immortal Cities

Are the additonal educated workers spread out according to prestige levels as in the regular game or will I get them all in one go?

Your Welcome. :)

For your installation path you would place the file here

C:\Program Files\SEGA\Children of the Nile\data\db

I would also create the following folder to store a copy of the original file in;

C:\Program Files\SEGA\Children of the Nile\data\db\Original Files

Yes, you constantly gain 4 times the normal amount of educated workers for your prestige level, so you gain 16 workers to start with and finish up with 140.

frustratedfan

thank you

Postby frustratedfan » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:10 am

i've been playing greenland for months and was really inhibited by the 35 cap. downloaded your change and now my cap on educated workers is140. The file also seems more stable(?). thanks again. big improvement.

ankhtifi

Postby ankhtifi » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:23 pm

I was running into exactly the same problem. I installed the file and now can have up to 140 educated workers. Seems to work perfectly here. Thanks :)

Boomer

Postby Boomer » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:53 pm

"Davus Antonius" wrote:Well here's a file I just worked up for you to play with. This file only alters the normal difficulty level, giving you 4 times the regular number of educated workers.

Remember to back up the original file before you overwrite it with this one.

Hey all! I realize this is a necro-post of epic proportions, but can someone help me get this file downloaded or else modify the relevant .db file as needed? When I click on the attachment, I just get sent to a blank page. Thanks in advance!

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:44 pm

Hi Boomer,

Unfortunately all the downloadable files have been removed from the board due to some attacks from last year, I believe, so this file can't be downloaded from here.

You can, however, download a .zip file from CotN Heaven that gives you double the number of educated workers per prestige level, but it also doubles the amount of prestige needed in advance a prestige level in the game.

It is edited in the .DAT file, and I don't remember how to edit that presently. I'm sure someone will come along that either knows the way, has the file, or both.

Boomer

Postby Boomer » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:31 am

Thanks, Yahya! Shame to hear about the attacks. That file would have been awesome to have. I'll look for that mod from CotN and hope someone can reveal how the .DAT files may be edited. I've been trying to find out how, but my Google-fu is lacking here for some reason. Thanks again :)

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:14 pm

I'm sure someone will come along who either remembers how to edit them, or has that original file and can upload it somewhere.

We'll get it. :)

ankhtifi

Postby ankhtifi » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:11 pm

That's a blow! I've just been getting back into COTN and really miss that file. If anyone out there has a copy of the patch, I'd be super-grateful if they could upload a copy somewhere :)

Boomer

Postby Boomer » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:44 am

Hey all, I'm back :) Any word on whether or not that file can make a comeback, or exactly what file and value is supposed to be edited so I can make a stab at doing it myself?

I was fortunate enough to have briefly emailed someone involved with COTN but was still unclear on what had to be done, and then I ended up changing computers and losing all access to the game for a bit. I'm coming back to it now and would love to play it without that bottleneck. That cap was the only thing I really disliked about the game.

Thanks greatly in advance--

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:08 pm

Hey Boomer,

It seems that .zip file download is working now, so you should be able to download it. (That's an interesting development because I see no indication that the post was edited, so maybe the old files have come back.)

You will need to find the file dbprestigelevels.dat on your installation. It will be in the ..\Children of the Nile\data\db folder, so the location just depends on where you installed CotN (C:\Program Files\Tilted Mill for example).

You will want to back up the original file there. I do like Davus Antonius said; create a folder in that db folder called "Original Files," and copy and paste the file to that folder as a backup.

Then you just extrac the file from the .ZIP file to that folder. Or extract it to somewhere simple like Desktop, then copy and paste it to the folder.

And then you should be ready to go. You'll need to restart CotN for it to take effect if you already have it open, however.

Good luck! :)

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”