Kids don't go to school

If you need any help, or want to discuss strategy, this is the place!
frustratedfan

put in new thread

Postby frustratedfan » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:05 pm

hey i put a new thread in. Seems to be a problem several people are having

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:22 pm

Just finished a Quick & Dirty Lab. I play on v1.3 (not 1.3.1 yet) with US CD version. I began on Hard difficulty with blank Waset from the Scenario Option. Map loads 2067 BC & Lab ends 9:11 PM Achet 2062 BC, so it ran for 5 years. Imaged is the final playfield. I began with all buildings on pause w/o the papyrusmakers, health & worship. Exception is the normal brickbuilding. After Education Center built, Health Center is added. After Health is complete, Worship is added.

First half w/o papyrusmakers on the map.

Upon Education Center building completion, Education Priest leaves for school 1:10 PM. Teaching begins 2:19 PM & ends 8:40 PM (all times are when I noticed, so +/- 15 minutes?).

Next day, leaves for school 11:52 AM, begins teaching 12:30 PM & ends 7 PM. During these early days, there is some protesting for lack of food & wares & this probably is the cause of the delays.

Next 6 days are the same ~ leaves for school shortly after 6 AM, begins teaching 7-7:30 AM & ends between 1:30 & 2:15 PM.

Conclusion ~ w/o papyrus, Priest begins day teaching & teaching (actual teaching, not counting travel time) lasts 6 1/2 hours.

~ ~ ~ ~

Second half added 3 papyrusmakers waaay far away in floodplain

Somewhere in here, first papyrusmaker makes his first papyrus. Resource Report shows 1(RR=1). From now on, (#P) is how much papyrus Priest is carrying.

2:47 PM Priest leaves to shop for papyrus. goes to maker with 1P & gets it at 7:14 PM. goes home. There are 4 Graduates in the city. 3 Priests (1E, 1H & 1 TG).

6:37 AM Priest goes shopping again (not going to school even though he has 1P). RR=4 papyrus. Buys 1 papyrus (2P)(RR=3) & goes home. After arriving home, immediately goes to teach. Teaching begins 2:26 PM (1P) & ends 9:06 PM (1P). Again, just like above, teaching again lasts 6 1/2 hours. Apparently, Priest uses up 1P when teaching begins.

6:22 AM shopping for papyrus (0P?)(RR=11), gives up halfway there & goes home, never making it to the makers (!?!?!?!).

10:45 AM leaves to shop AGAIN (1P)(RR=10). 2:47 PM buys (6P) & goes home.

6:37 PM Leaves to teach (6P), begins 7:16 PM (5P) & ends 10:23 PM (5P). Teaches only for 3+ hours.

6:08 AM shopping for papyrus. Gives up halfway there, goes home & leaves home to go shopping for papyrus AGAIN!

1:31 PM buys papyrus (6P) & goes home.

7:24 PM leaves to teach (6P), teaches 8:04 PM (5P) & stops 10:28 PM (5P). Only teaches 2 1/2 hours.

6:06 AM shopping papyrus again (5P) buys at 9:52 AM (6P) & goes home.

1:35 PM leaves to teach (6P), teaches 2:13 PM (5P) & stops 9:01 PM (5P). Teaches for 6 1/2 hours.

Conclusions: Again, teaching appears to be a max of 6 1/2 hours each day & shopping for papyrus can decrease the number of hours teaching occurs if distance is a problem. Also, shopping trips for papyrus can be aborted & repeated. Teaching cannot occur past about 10:15 PM. Priest begins each day shopping for papyrus at 6 AM.

Please keep in mind that this is a happy city. Anything else that delays the process can probably result in no teaching at all. Also, periods of short teaching can result in kids never getting to school in time.

This is just one lab & perhaps means nothing in the larger scheme of things. It was just a starting point. & I might have made errors in observations.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

frustratedfan

Postby frustratedfan » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:10 am

very interesting thanks

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:06 pm

Actually, those are very interesting details, Tink.

Well done!

existenz

Postby existenz » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:42 pm

I agree...very interesting and may get me to re-evaluate my layout of my cities. Thanks. :)

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:36 am

Reported.

frustratedfan

how to increase graduates (?)

Postby frustratedfan » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:22 am

I have found that if I use the edict "release food to estates" and keep my luxury townhouses with high food stores they are more likely to have 2 graduates in the household. I have been able to keep about 45 graduates at any given time even as educated workers retire. Or maybe just coincidence?

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:28 am

That makes sense, frustratedfan. More food, enhancement upkeep & wares equals more kids.

Jimaaten

Postby Jimaaten » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:14 pm

I replayed Nekhen a few days ago and I think they definitely changed something.

I used the starting bricks to build a bakery and then a priest that I set to education. I used my first bricks to build a school. The first three nobles that moved in had no children. Of the six I finally got, I think only 2 had children. (That was probably just the luck of the draw.) When I finally had enough bricks for school, it was slow going getting students. None of the luxury shops had much cash, so their children weren't going to school right away and I didn't have a lot of noble kids. It also took a long time to get the first grads once I did have kids.

I had plenty of bricks to build healthcare and shrine, but no grads. Everyone started getting really mad. 3 of my nobles ended up leaving. I actually thought for a while there I was going to lose the game there were so many brown and red groups. They were all mad about health and religion. So, I wonder if I may have to change my beginning strategy -- placing the first priest initially on all services, with a school, apothecary and an undedicated temple (like in the tutorials). :confused: And then dedicate the second grad to education.

This image has nothing to do with the discussion; I just like the image of the hippo eating his way through the threshing area. That's what it's for isn't it?! ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:30 pm

I love the pic. thanks for sharing. :D

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:54 pm

That's a really weird story, Jim. Now my Education center has always started with a papyrusmaker, so v1.3 is no big deal for me.

Your no/few kids is news to me. Perhaps you just got a bad luck of the draw.

Jimaaten

Postby Jimaaten » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:25 pm

I did notice that the education priest only goes to the school when he has students. But as others have commented, he doesn't seem to teach as long as before. I don't know if they reduced how long he teaches or perhaps they changed how long the students want to stay. They might have also changed how willing luxury shop keepers are to send their kids. :confused:

Before the patch, I actually had a town where there were no noble or luxury shop children for the first year of the scenario. I didn't get the first graduate until one of the shop keepers had a kid. Even then I was able to get graduates and services in place before things got as bad as they did in this Nekhen. :cool:

I'm taking a break to play C4 for a while, but I'm planning to do Bubastis next. I'll use my normal procedure and see if there are similar results. ;)

Something slightly off-topic. I noticed they changed how the Pharaoh's funeral works. I had my first Pharaoh die before I started making prestige. So, I decided to go ahead and make a tomb. When it was finished, I changed a priest to funeral services and started building a mortuary. When it was finished, I expected the coffin to appear at the palace and it to head to the mortuary. That would have been unfortunate, because the priest was off shopping. But the coffin didn't appear. Once the priest started heading to the mortuary to work, the coffin appeared. So I guess there's no more race to see who gets there first. :)

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:38 pm

"Jimaaten" wrote:Something slightly off-topic. I noticed they changed how the Pharaoh's funeral works. I had my first Pharaoh die before I started making prestige. So, I decided to go ahead and make a tomb. When it was finished, I changed a priest to funeral services and started building a mortuary. When it was finished, I expected the coffin to appear at the palace and it to head to the mortuary. That would have been unfortunate, because the priest was off shopping. But the coffin didn't appear. Once the priest started heading to the mortuary to work, the coffin appeared. So I guess there's no more race to see who gets there first. :)

I don't think this is a change, Jim. It is when the Priest actually heads for the mortuary that the coffin appears. You can change a Priest to funeral w/o a mortuary, but nothing happens, except for the typical flickering on the Priest people window, indicating that he really want's to go somewhere, but it is not possible.

Or the year after Pharaoh dies, the coffin will appear anyway if a tomb has been completed, reguardless of Priest setting or status of mortuary being there or not.

I did labbing of 1.3 & didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

Jimaaten

Postby Jimaaten » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:03 pm

"Tinkerbell" wrote:I don't think this is a change, Jim. It is when the Priest actually heads for the mortuary that the coffin appears.
Man, I always hate it when your game behaves differently from mine. :p Prior to the enhancement, when the mortuary was completed the coffin would appear, whether there was a priest headed there or not. At least for me it did. :)

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”