Bricks and my Scribes hate me?

If you need any help, or want to discuss strategy, this is the place!
Kayuna

Bricks and my Scribes hate me?

Postby Kayuna » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:43 am

Hello, new to the forum and relatively so to the game. It was gifted to me recently by a friend, but the CD seems to have been devoured by my collection, so I can't patch to the enhanced edition, sadly. Don't know if these problems are fixed in it, but here goes...

I've noticed that with every game my scribes are never happy. I put the tax collectors on the edge of my upper class/lower class areas with my priests (who hardly ever complain, but I do have a metric ton worth of them...) so they have access to my nobles for entertainment and my shops (in both flavors), but still they complain. So far, after exhausting every other technique I could come up with, I've decided to just let them get upset, leave, and be replaced by my multitude of graduates (I have a ton of priests, remember?). Even the scribes I put in the middle of my upper class 'district' are still never happy, even when surrounded by all the things they complain about.

My other problem is the lack of bricks in my city. Starting a scenario is difficult because all of my important buildings take forever to build. I'm busy trying to keep my people happy by building the hospitals and shrines they need, and then my Pharaoh dies while my tomb has only 6 bricks to its name. Is there any way to build up a larger amount of bricks? I've tried adding more brickworks, but that never seems to help.

One more minor problem is papyrus. Is there anywhere to store it? My papyrus makers will make the max amounts and then I have to add another maker just to reach the amount desired by certain cites. Is there any way around this?

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:47 am

Examine the particular needs of your scribes. If they must travel too far to work or buy goods, then they may not have enough time to handle their work and their needs in a given day. Scribes need their usual salaries of bread for eating and to buy goods with so check if your scribes have enough in their stocks and if your bakeries are producing them fast enough; scribes won't collect bread unless there's about 100 units of them available in a bakery. Also, you might want to "follow" your scribes for a day and see what they do.

The speed of brickmakers depend on how far they are from necessary materials and whether or not they have children. Bricks require mud, papyrus, and/or rush. Children assist in gathering raw materials. In the early game, don't build too much too quickly. You don't really need hospitals or shrines or temples in the first two years. Some players start off with several brickmakers and then add more until they have as many as a dozen.

As for papyrus, you just need to build more papyrus makers; there's no other way (unless of course the scenario has a world-level site that exports papyrus).

vic_4

Postby vic_4 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:05 am

After patching papyrus makers store much more papyrus. At the brginning of a scenario, I usually build eight to twelve brick makers according to the number of villagers available and three to six bricklayers. With this numbers usually I get buildings fast enough.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:56 am

For more bricks, built more brickmakers. It´s simply a matter of quantity. Built them near mud digging spots and rushes/ papyrus sources. And built many of then. Personally, I´m a slow builder, and I usually have 6 brickmakers. See the other posts and you know that this is few ;)
For faster building, in the unpatched version the only option is to build enough bricklayers. Place them near the brickmakers. There should be about half as much bricklayers than brickmakers.
In v1.3, there is a building called brickyard. It stores bricks an can be placed near construction sites, which makes building go faster and helps to influence which sites are built faster. But you still have to produce enough bricks at first!

To see the problems of your scibes, it would help if you upload a savegame. It´s not necessary to keep them green all the time, but if they emigrate regularly, there is something wrong.
Have you checked their "complain box"? What services are they lacking? As soon as you find out what service they don´t get, you can follow them some time to see what they do all day. Maybe you see that they constantly stand in front of empty stores, or have to travel all day to a bakery.

Jimaaten

Postby Jimaaten » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:49 pm

Kayuna, about the scribes, the thing I found most useful when I started was to build a bakery (and a papyrus maker) nearby whenever I placed a scribe house. This bakery should be in addition to one needed by other government workers such as brickmakers. Many people have posted about the laziness of the scribe's wife, but with a nearby bakery of prepared food, I've found her fairly hard working. (I build the tax scribes right down by the river among the farmers and never have one get mad and leave.)

One thing about the elites is that they won't go to bakeries until they run out of food. If they have enough for dinner, but not enough to buy goods, they will still wait to go get food. So, a full bakery is a good thing for them; you want them taking food in the hundreds. This means though that you'll always have elites complaining sometime in their career about missed goods, but if they get more food and then goods from shops the complaint will be short-lived. :D

Kayuna

Postby Kayuna » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:08 pm

Alright, I see there's no way around the resource problems, I'll just load up on makers as necessary. As for scribes, I'll plant another bakery right by them and see how that goes. Will update this post later with results.

Thank you all ^^ It's nice to see so many people willing to help.

Edit: Anubis's teeth, it worked!
Last edited by Kayuna on Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frustratedfan

Welcome

Postby frustratedfan » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:26 am

Hey guy welcome to COTN. You might want to just replace your game disc. I've seen the price of a new product around $20. Then you could also download the enhancement pack. Just a thought. (I dont work for Tilted Mill haha)

Jimaaten

Postby Jimaaten » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:35 pm

"Kayuna" wrote:Edit: Anubis's teeth, it worked!
Excellent, and a belated welcome to the forums. :)

Kayuna

Postby Kayuna » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:05 pm

Thanks for all the welcomes and the help, and yeah, I've been meaning to replace it. Once work starts again it's definitely on my list of things to get. Things are just a little slow over the summer.

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”