How to play without playing.

If you need any help, or want to discuss strategy, this is the place!
Azeem

Postby Azeem » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:04 am

You can do that in most large maps. You might of course need to adapt it a bit depending on local terrain.

A lot of your early playing will take experimentation on what works and what doesn't. Therein lies the fun of Children of the Nile. The game is pretty forgiving. Even if your people are complaining, they won't overthrow you unless you've seriously done something wrong. ;)

The trick is to centralize the most crucial services. I have my craftsmen and farmers closest to the Nile, my nobility further inland, and a "district" of Shrines, Temples, and healthcare services right in the middle.

When you set up shops, always build them in "sets" (clusters of shops producing each type of good).

Janmar

Layouts

Postby Janmar » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:58 pm

Silver Kitty:

This really helped me a lot. I used it last night for the first time and just loved it. I couldn't quit playing, I stayed up wayyy too late. :D

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:30 pm

I don't think I've ever seen this thread, through I remember its predecessor.

This gives me some interesting ideas. You did some great work here, silverkitty! :)

I think I am going to lab the causes of worship needs. I think they are random, but maybe we'll find a pattern, e.g. Hathor every two years, as was mentioned by Jimaaten.

Jimaaten

Postby Jimaaten » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:39 pm

"Yahya" wrote:I think I am going to lab the causes of worship needs. I think they are random, but maybe we'll find a pattern, e.g. Hathor every two years, as was mentioned by Jimaaten.
You might start fact finding with the in-game help. IIRC, it mentions worship times and events for some of the separate gods. You have to take it with a grain of salt. It mentions Isis has a health event and Bast is hardly ever worshipped. But I've found Bast to be rather widely worshipped (for health) and Isis not so much (at least for health). I think they changed it to Bast late in the game development. One other sign is if you click on someone going to Bast, they will say they are going to pray for the health of a child. The dissatisfaction reading if they don't get to worship says that they wanted to give thanks for a healthy child. Two slightly different reasons. ;)

I've actually wondered if not getting to worship in that case might make it more likely a child could die. One thing I've always wondered is if during the health alerts we actually lose citizens. For example, there is a health alert, one of the parent tries but fails to pray for the health of the child, the child dies and then one fo the parents tries to go to worship Anubis ("death in the family" worship event)? :confused:

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:04 am

Good suggestions, Jim. I'll check that out. Then I will just run with a palace and 10 farmers, and minimum necessary infrastructure, logging every worship and healthcare event.

Then do it again.

And again.... :D

Malandra

Postby Malandra » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:13 pm

"Jimaaten" wrote:if you click on someone going to Bast, they will say they are going to pray for the health of a child. The dissatisfaction reading if they don't get to worship says that they wanted to give thanks for a healthy child. Two slightly different reasons. ;)

hrmmm....

I always interpreted Bast as the goddess of childbirth - and thought they were giving thanks for the birth of a healthy child. I figured that's why farmers wanted to worship her more, since they seem to be babymakers.
________
Avandia recall
Last edited by Malandra on Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:21 pm

According to Game Help;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jimaaten

Postby Jimaaten » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:09 pm

"Yahya" wrote:Then I will just run with a palace and 10 farmers, and minimum necessary infrastructure, logging every worship and healthcare event.
There may be a slight problem. I posted in a thread years ago about the palace and worship alerts. I haven't seen a worship alert in the palace, although clicking on the worship section may show the palace as one that is dissatisfied. Here is a link to the entire thread. It had some other interesting worship stuff in it. My comments about the worship inconsistency is on page 2. You might want to add a noble to get the elite worship events. :)

My point on Bast was that there seems to be a difference in terms between why they want to worship and what they complain about. The worship also seems to occur when there are health alerts. The help says rarely worshipped and I've seen her as one of the more worshipped "lesser gods".

Malandra

Postby Malandra » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:26 pm

"Jimaaten" wrote:The help says rarely worshipped and I've seen her as one of the more worshipped "lesser gods".

Agreed... at least, it seems like a whole lot of people want to worship her if you don't have a shrine to her, whereas Set and Sobek I can skip entirely as long as I don't have a military.

One question - from that thread you linked, there was this statement:
8. Ma?at - goddess of truth, order, balance and justice: You won?t need this shrine unless you are having a problem with crime or have raiders in your city.

I have frequently had cities with zero vagrants and zero raiders that still get the alert about people wanting to worship Ma'at... and clicked on houses to see that they want to worship him. Is this just one of the random events that happens now and then, like the cult temple one?
________
Easy vape vaporizer

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:52 pm

"Malandra" wrote:I have frequently had cities with zero vagrants and zero raiders that still get the alert about people wanting to worship Ma'at... and clicked on houses to see that they want to worship him.

Her. ;)

"Malandra" wrote:Is this just one of the random events that happens now and then, like the cult temple one?

This is new since the patch. Noone ever wanted to worship Ma'at before. Now I think some want to worship her when some people are very unhappy for whatever reason. Note that not the unhappy people themselves want to worship but others.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:35 pm

What makes worship tick is still one of the mysteries of COTN. I believe TM put in the hooks, but either didn't use them or left room for expansion.

As for Ma'at, the old game totally ignored Ma'at even when Raider attacks were huge like in the Original TM Additional Scenario download Akhetaten. However, one of our scenariomakers, via very creative use of the Editor, made Ma'at critical in his scenario. I not only built Ma'at multiple shrines, I also added a Temple!

This was before v1.3 when the World of Ma'at totally changed.

You should notice that most Worship/Health events whether triggered by Major (popup top of screen) or Minor (bottom of screen) or no alert announced at all, causes many people to seek a service. Very seldom do we see only one or two people wanting to do something. They go in waves.

Bast, for example can go for years with nothing then huge waves for healthy children.

My Labs even hinted that the game might pick one god outta three to throw an alert at us. An example would be Isis & Bast. Or perhaps it is Isis/Ra/Bast.

Big years for Hathor are low years for Osiris

Possible Amun/Ptah/Anubis for medium level gods. Possible addition of Horus here to make it a four god group.

What causes & what are the results of god events? Looks random to me, except for Hapi & the seasonals. However, they can be triggered in the Editor apparently.

Malandra

Postby Malandra » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:08 pm

"sakasiru" wrote:Her. ;)

/blush

whoops!

This is new since the patch. Noone ever wanted to worship Ma'at before. Now I think some want to worship her when some people are very unhappy for whatever reason. Note that not the unhappy people themselves want to worship but others.

hrm.

I'll watch for that next time. It seems to happen even when I have very few other complaints, though... with the exception of the early game when I'm still building up basic services, I don't generally have 'very unhappy' people (at least not unhappy enough that their overall indicator changes away from green).
________

Banks

Re :

Postby Banks » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:33 am

Hi ,
Post your gamer griefs and rants on the Griefster.

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”