Nekhen = HELP!!!!

If you need any help, or want to discuss strategy, this is the place!
speysider
Location: Migdol, Osiriskai: Maritis, Sethat-ib: Qadesh, Rasuten

Nekhen = HELP!!!!

Postby speysider » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:58 pm

I just went back onto CotN and played Nekhen. Everyone keeps getting mad at me and my prestige fell because of Pharaoh's death. Can someone give me a step-by-step walkthrough for this level?

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:25 pm

I don't do walkthroughs, sorry. You have to do the work yourself. ;)

I give gameplay help & tips only.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:41 pm

There is no such thing as a walkthrough. You have plenty of options, and everyone has his own style of play.
It´s better to look at your problems one by one.

Pharaoh death:
Pharaoh death won´t hit your prestige until you actually have build some up. By that time, you should have a mortuary and at least a small mastaba dedicated to pharaoh. As your city grows, you can build larger mastabas and dedicate the smaller one to the royal family or nobles. As soon as your pharaoh dies, dedicate a nearby priest to funeral services, and you won´t loose so much prestige.
You won´t lose any at all if your only prestige comes from palace upgrades, so concentrate on those before you have a sufficient tomb.

Mad citizens:
There are several reasons why people get mad. You can tell by clicking on their home and looking what icon(s) are red. You can also click on the different topics in the game overview to see how satisfied all people in your city are about that topic. Once you know what makes them upset, you can work on that.
These are the severest problems that should be addressed:

No food: Build more farmers, nobles and/or evenly distributed bakeries. Build scribes to get more taxes.
No wares: Build more shops of all kinds (note that there are common shops and luxshops, whore need of are mentioned in the house description), build them near the people that have lack of wares.
No worship: Click on the buildings to see which gods they wanted to worship but couldn´t. Give access to such a temple/shrine. It´s best to place a row of all shrines in the center of your city in the first place.
No healthcare: Most of the time, one health center in the city will suffice: One hospital, one apothecary and one healthcare dedicated priest. Sometimes, people will not find time to go to hospital even if it´s running, but that's their problem.

Nobles have a bunch of other problems, like no entertainment, no judge in court or no funeral, but most of the times these aren´t bad enough to cause them to leave (if everything else is okay). Only problem that you should care of immediately are too few luxwares.

Malandra

Postby Malandra » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:46 pm

"speysider" wrote:I just went back onto CotN and played Nekhen. Everyone keeps getting mad at me and my prestige fell because of Pharaoh's death. Can someone give me a step-by-step walkthrough for this level?

I highly recommend playing through the tutorials... multiple times if need be. You can always use the + button to increase the speed if you want to skip ahead. They give you most of the information you need to know.

If you've done that and need additional help, I'd start by looking at this thread:

http://www.tiltedmill.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11759

There's a ton of great information consolidated in that thread.
________
R 51/3
Last edited by Malandra on Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

speysider

Postby speysider » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:50 pm

The citizens keep whining about not enough wares, but they are right near my shopping complex. They also keep whining about not enough bread.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:22 pm

They pay their wares with bread. So if they don't have bread, they can't afford wares. It may also be that the shops are sold out.
Who exacly has no bread? Farmers? Nobles? Shopkeepers? All?

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:26 pm

No wares cuz they don't have prepared food (Bread mainly) to buy them with & perhaps you don't have enough shops. Are the shops filled with goods or empty? If empty, you might need more shops.

Remember shops have hours of operation. Closed between about 10 PM & 6 AM. If your people have to walk too far, the shop might be closed when they get there. In COTN, there is a chase for goods & services. Whoever gets there first wins!

No food, cuz you need more farmers & Scribes to count the fields for double the harvest. You also have to keep your nobles happy or they hit the road & leave, taking farmers with them.

You get more farmers when you place & then evolve nobles & Palace, if you have either villagers or good childbirth going on.

You also need to have enough Bakeries first & then Granaries later to store all of the harvest.

Government Workers also need bakeries to make prepared food outta raw harvest food.

Lastly, you need to watch your food exports or your bakeries can run outta food easily, especially during a failed flood year.

Remember, in this game, a harvest only happens once a year & it must last your people until the next harvest at exactly 7:20 PM Shemu.

speysider

Postby speysider » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:53 pm

I had built a Granary to store food, but nothing is getting stored there. Thanks guys for your help. Sakasiru, mostly all of them are have troubles getting goods. They walk from where my Palace is and go across the Nile to get wares. I'll post tomorrow, Mum's wanting me off my computer. :(

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:09 pm

"speysider" wrote: Sakasiru, mostly all of them are have troubles getting goods. They walk from where my Palace is and go across the Nile to get wares.

They are doing what? :eek:

You are not experienced enough yet to build on both sides of the Nile. Distances are too great. Start over, my friend! Keep your city tight while you are a new player.

Camera in Nekhen begins on the hilltop plateau, eastern side of the Nile. Palace, Nobles & worship there. Farmers downhill to the NE map corner using that floodplain.

Do not build on the west side of the river in Nekhen, nor the south eastern river side (except for late game overflow a bit when the NE floodplain gets full of fields, cuz it is kinda tiny if you use extra Nobles like these images). Stay up north & northeast on the eastern side of the river.

Also remember to build roads over the mountains to cut down walking distance or your people will walk the looong way around. Especially a road from the basalt quarry to a landing on the western river shore. Your laborers & Overseers will reach that far from your city on the eastern side of the river.

Your people have a lot to do each day, so whatever makes them walk farther means they will not get all the work done.

Good Luck! :)

EDIT: Note you don't need this many Scribes. I just had extra prestige to burn.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:25 pm

Okay.
First of all: Start over. You shouldn´t build on two sides of the river until one runs perfectly alone. Even if you have shops on both sides, as soon as one shop runs out, dozends of people will spend way too much time crossing the river. Nekhen is a very difficult map to build on, so use the spots Tink showed you.

Bread:
Farmers and nobles get their bread directly from the harverst, so if they have too few, you have to build more of them. Each noble has a certain number of farms he can manage, you should always have them maxed out.You can also distribute food to your nobles and farmers through an edict as ling as you have enough in your bakeries and granaries, but that should be an emergency plan.
The palace also has it's own farms, just as nobles. Maximum here, too.
Shopkeepers (common and lux) get their bread from customers. Build them spread out in your city for easy and quick access. They can have a long walk to their ressources, usually if you have enough of them, they manage to keep up. If not, build more. It may be that you have too much of them so they starve, but you have to plaster your city with shops to make that happen. Not likely in your case.
Entertainers, gardeners and servants get payed from the nobles they serve. As long as nobles have plenty of bread to spend, they are fed, too.
All others (priests, scribes, overseers, commanders, soldiers, workers, bakers, stonecutters, brickmakers, bricklayers, weapon makers and shipbuilders) are fed through a bakery. As you see, these are many people, so you have to build enough bakeries to supply them.

So, how do you fill all those bakeries?
Build as much farms as your nobles and palace can manage. This number will rise as the buildings evolve, so keep up with adding farmers. Build them right next to the brown floodplain. Set some (not all) of the nobles on wheat only.
Build one, later two or three scribes near the floodplain and set them on taxes. They will count the fields during planting season and this will rise the amount of food that will go to your bakeries and granaries at harvest.
Build at least all kinds of common shops, maybe one or two shrines (Hathor and Hapi) and a healthcare center near the farmers quarter. The shorter their ways, the more time they have to work.
It will take some years until all farmers have moved in, the bakeries are build, the scribes have beed educated and so on. If you have no failed floods in that time, and still your bakeries run empty before the next harvers, add more nobles and ffarmers.

Good luck. If you still have problems, you can upload a savegame so we can look what's wrong.
Last edited by sakasiru on Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:03 pm

Here's a set of numbered saves I made while playing Nehken that might help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

speysider

Postby speysider » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:49 pm

Thanks. I'll edit this post shortly because I'm using my Grannies laptop which does not have CotN. I've played the Tutorials twice, so I know what happens. I don't start building a new area of people until my recently built area has Adequate supplies in shops. I think I've got the general Idea. People are not grumbling so much now.

Note: Does the palace never get dissatisfied?

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:09 pm

"speysider" wrote:Note: Does the palace never get dissatisfied?

Sure it does. However, the Palace has built-in Retainers who work just like Servants do for Nobles, to help with the shopping. We also have three Royal Princesses to do the shopping, so they can cover a lot of ground if the Palace has food.

Wait for your first raider attack on your Palace. It can get very angry & its prestige that never decays can drop like a rock. Palace prestige comes back when it gets happy again.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:31 pm

"speysider" wrote:
Note: Does the palace never get dissatisfied?

I`ve seen it turn red after being robbed multiple times, but the family never left :D

speysider

Postby speysider » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:59 pm

I managed to complete my first level of the game.

Note: Don't even bother with the Siege of Baris in this level.

I am not a spokesperson for TM and thus my instructions should be taken as arrogant posturing and not be considered authoritative or informative.

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”