Walls

If you need any help, or want to discuss strategy, this is the place!
Janmar

Walls

Postby Janmar » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:07 am

Can someone explain to me about constructing walls? How do you get a gate or can you? I thought I had seen pictures of walls with gates on some scenarios people posted.

Malandra

Postby Malandra » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:52 am

From what I have seen (I make no claim to be an expert), gates are formed just by leaving a gap in the wall. You click a spot and drag to where you want the wall to end - the ends of the wall look a bit different (they are taller, somewhat like a pillar) but you don't really see that until after the wall is built.

There are no doors that open/close that I have discovered - so if you're building the wall for defense then the gap is where you want to build your guard posts.
________
Mexico Hotels
Last edited by Malandra on Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:26 am

Howdy, Janmar!

Walls are kinda weird in COTN. Not gates, but you get endposts. Click to create an endpost drag & click again to get the end endpost.

If you delete a built section, then click on the completed section next to it & it turns into an endpost.

Or something like that. ;)

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:48 am

Yep, walls are strange and sometimes hard to build the way you want them, as Tink said. No gates, and walls don't really stop any invading barbarians anyway, as they will either go around or manage to hack through them in the end anyway.

They can be used for decoration/beautification, and if you leave an open path through it you can kind of funnel an enemy through them to slow them down a bit.

I never use them myself. I gave them a try once but figured the effort and expense in bricks and labor wasn't worth it for the most part.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:47 pm

Walls aren´t very useful. usually, you have to keep them open to the seaside, and raiders can travel over water...

And they don`t stop vagrants at all.

I think walls are just for pretty building, never seen them stop an army ;)

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:42 pm

It depends on how you build your city. Raiders seem to typically go for nobles' townhouses or elite homes. If you build your nobles further inland, encircling them with walls and keeping narrow gaps with guard posts as choke points, they can make it easier for your guards to engage raiders.

osdeath

Postby osdeath » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:39 pm

i find that if i build walls around the nobles "district" the raiders will go for the closest hole in the wall, it's just a simple thing of situating a guard post by said hole in wall, and all is well, i've never seen a raider go through a wall when there is a gap in one

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:00 pm

But I've seen soldiers getting stuck in battle at such a gap, which prevented either side to win and the nobles running around in fear until their homes ran out of food :rolleyes:

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:17 am

It could mean that your gap isn't big enough. I keep at least two spaces open.

Speedy7th

Postby Speedy7th » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:54 am

Some of my walls have been as close to the Nile, or to rock outcroppings, as the AI will allow and yet the little people were quick to learn where to go and just went around the end to get clay and rushes that were on the outside.

I wonder if the Raiders have an ear to the ground? :rolleyes:

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:44 pm

Yes, I've seen that also. You can't build walls on flood plain, so it is often impossible to completely enclose your city.

Not that they wouldn't just take reed boats anyway. :p

osdeath

Postby osdeath » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:52 pm

"Yahya" wrote:Yes, I've seen that also. You can't build walls on flood plain, so it is often impossible to completely enclose your city.

Not that they wouldn't just take reed boats anyway. :p

personally on a large map (my personal prefrence was daughter of isis if memory serves) you would have all the famers and bricks layers, and everything that wasn't a noble along the flood plain, you would site the nobles in-land, thus you can wall them in completely

I've never had soldiers get stuck myself, just to lay out how i do my walls

x|ox

xs are walls, | is the road & o is the guard post, I don't think I've ever had problems with that setup myself, usually the combat takes place either outside of the gate (due to the guards homes being close to the "gate"), or just inside the walls

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:28 pm

Yes, it's definitely not a good idea to build farmers inside the wall. As they grow in number, they produce a severe game lag squeezing through the gates at harvest morning ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

osdeath

Postby osdeath » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:03 pm

I....

Did you make that map? i mean i've never done the campaign but it looks to well designed not to be, either way i salute your city building skills, but i have one thing to say, mines bigger than yours :P

damnit i need to go get Cotn working again with the patch

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:58 pm

Howdy, osdeath!

Sakasiru's image came from her very first User Created Scenario. It is a gorgeous map that starts with the walls in place. Hard too! :D

The citadel

Try it!

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:57 am

:)

Yes, I sometimes get carried away with painting maps...

But now I wanna see your bigger city! :eek:

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”