Unusual Noble Behavior

If you need any help, or want to discuss strategy, this is the place!
CharleyK1

Unusual Noble Behavior

Postby CharleyK1 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:00 pm

I've just seen what (to me) is very unusual behavior for a noble. One noble (out of six) vacated his large estate. All nobles (all citizens for that matter) are green across the board, my city is quite content. The noble did NOT leave due to discontentment, and a new noble moved in pretty quickly. Perhaps the oddest thing is, when the new noble moved in, the estate was still large. I'd have expected it to have dropped down to a small and have to build up all over again.

Is this normal game behavior that I've just never seen before? Is it possible I did something without realizing it in my play that might cause a noble to vacate?

In case it is an evil trick of a talented scenario maker, I'm playing Tinkerbell's Atlantis, and I've (GASP) :eek: just passed 100 game years, so I'm aware it could have been a triggered event too.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:12 pm

Yes, entirely normal. Nobles retire (die) or head for the edge of the map (emigrate) & are replaced. Estate stays the same IF it is happy.

"CharleyK1" wrote:In case it is an evil trick of a talented scenario maker, I'm playing Tinkerbell's Atlantis, and I've (GASP) :eek: just passed 100 game years, so I'm aware it could have been a triggered event too.

Hoot! Thank You!

Yes, it is purposely designed to take a few years to win. ;)

We have a ton of excellent scenariomakers here at TM Forums. Please do not only play the recent ones, even the early ones are excellent. I can highly recommend anything by thegrad, Jimaaten, Karter, Yahya, Azeem & a zillion others too! :)
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.

CharleyK1

Postby CharleyK1 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:34 pm

"Tinkerbell" wrote:Hoot! Thank You!

You're very welcome :)

"Tinkerbell" wrote:We have a ton of excellent scenariomakers here at TM Forums. Please do not only play the recent ones, even the early ones are excellent. I can highly recommend anything by thegrad, Jimaaten, Karter, Yahya, Azeem & a zillion others too! :)

I plan on playing all I can find :D I wasn't aware I had started with recent ones, although the order of the posts in the User-created Scenarios forum is likely in rough reverse date order. I've already committed to thegrad's other two parts of the Utopia series, and also to The Keep, and then, who knows? :)

I think I already know what changes I want to make with my own Amara too, but I've decided I need to see more of what other people have done. I may start another (shorter/easier LOL) scenario before I even go back to Amara.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:27 pm

"CharleyK1" wrote: plan on playing all I can find :D I wasn't aware I had started with recent ones, although the order of the posts in the User-created Scenarios forum is likely in rough reverse date order. I've already committed to thegrad's other two parts of the Utopia series, and also to The Keep, and then, who knows? :)

Excellent. I only menationed a few names of those who have produced several scanerios. No one can keep up with Grad. She can really pump out gorgeous maps & is still our only Campaignmaker.

We also have many one hit wonders who have come out with great scenarios.

It's all good!

Sorry, I should have placed my usual

~ ~ ~

cuz that paragraph was meant for everyone & not necessarily you. ;)

I think I already know what changes I want to make with my own Amara too, but I've decided I need to see more of what other people have done. I may start another (shorter/easier LOL) scenario before I even go back to Amara.

Excellent! New scenarios are always better than going back to the same one over & over just to fix minor things.

Your choice as always.

CharleyK1

Postby CharleyK1 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:33 pm

"Tinkerbell" wrote:Excellent! New scenarios are always better than going back to the same one over & over just to fix minor things.

Your choice as always.

You are too kind. My bug is NOT minor. It's why I haven't posted it in the User-created Scenario forum yet.

And it's not just old and boring to me, in fact, I'm anxious to get back to it. The changes I have in mind should eliminate the "endless battle" I think, and I also plan to change the raiders a bit to make the "perfect strategy" more difficult. At least for a while, that will take the boring out of it when I DO get back to it.

There are several reasons I want to wait though:
1. While Amara is my original design, I now realize, my back story might conflict with a scenario already out there. I designed on-the-fly, and I was half way through before I looked at a map of ancient Egypt and picked the name Amara. I googled a bit, found an interesting back story, and went with it before I saw there was a sand box named "Akhetaten" which is another name Amara went by. so I thought I should check that out to see if I'm unwittingly stealing anything.
2. ANY game play idea(s) I come up with may have already been the basis for a scenario already created by someone else. I don't want to appear to be a copy cat.
3. I can learn a LOT more by playing and then looking at the scenarios in the editor to see how things are done.
4. I need MUCH practice painting rivers! ROFL I fudged in Amara to get the wide floodplain for the "sweet spot" - I'd like to be able to do that with the rising/falling river.

So, I'll fiddle with some maps, work on a new idea or two, finish Amara, play some more user-created stuff, and maybe I'll crank out a campaign of my own (when you teach me THAT secret) ;)

EDIT: Oops! I went to download Akhetaten.scn and it's not there! It's clear.gif if I download, and some .php if I open in another tab. I guess I'm off the hook for the back story :-)
Last edited by CharleyK1 on Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: New info

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:55 pm

Excellent! Sounds like you got a full plate going on!

Akhetaten is a TM additional download that I uploaded to the forum when the original Myelin Media site went down (long story). TM now owns COTN outright & the site also. You can get it here.

CharleyK1

Postby CharleyK1 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:19 am

Okay, thanks, I've downloaded it. I noticed that it is an .exe file - is it a self-extracting file? Maybe a WinRar?

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:42 pm

Yes, it is self-extracting. However, I think it only puts the scenario into the cd disk game folder & we have to copy/move it to My Documents for download versions like Steam Alexandria.

I'm a computer dummy, so don't quote me on this.

Ouijdani

Postby Ouijdani » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:49 pm

"CharleyK1" wrote:I've just seen what (to me) is very unusual behavior for a noble. One noble (out of six) vacated his large estate. All nobles (all citizens for that matter) are green across the board, my city is quite content. The noble did NOT leave due to discontentment, and a new noble moved in pretty quickly. Perhaps the oddest thing is, when the new noble moved in, the estate was still large. I'd have expected it to have dropped down to a small and have to build up all over again.

Is this normal game behavior that I've just never seen before? Is it possible I did something without realizing it in my play that might cause a noble to vacate?

In case it is an evil trick of a talented scenario maker, I'm playing Tinkerbell's Atlantis, and I've (GASP) :eek: just passed 100 game years, so I'm aware it could have been a triggered event too.

I finished the "easy" campaign cities (in "moderate difficulty mode") this weekend and I saw exactly that same sort of event happen. A Noble disappeared and a new one (or perhaps the same one) moved back in during the same or early the next season. It was either the last one (Circumnavigate Africa) or the fourth one.

This week I will start the "Moderate" cities, again on "moderate difficulty". Once I do them I will do the "Hard" cities on "moderate difficulty". (I almost never play "easy" or "hard" mode. I've played Civ III at Monarch difficulty for years now.)

Ouij

CharleyK1

Postby CharleyK1 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:17 pm

Hi Ouji :)

"Ouijdani" wrote:I finished the "easy" campaign cities (in "moderate difficulty mode") this weekend and I saw exactly that same sort of event happen. A Noble disappeared and a new one (or perhaps the same one) moved back in during the same or early the next season. It was either the last one (Circumnavigate Africa) or the fourth one.

Congrats on finishing all the easy scenarios! :D Yes, I'm used to nobles migrating once in a while, that was just the first time I've ever seen one replaced without any loss (large estate remained large.) Every other time I remember it happening, the estate always dropped in size by the time a replacement noble arrived.

"Ouijdani" wrote:This week I will start the "Moderate" cities, again on "moderate difficulty". Once I do them I will do the "Hard" cities on "moderate difficulty".

Ouij

That's the pattern I took too, good luck, happy gaming!

P.S. There are also a ton of very fine user created scenarios as I'm discovering now :) and from reading the posts, doing everything over again on "Hard" makes things more challenging (like limiting you to 25 educated workers.)

Ouijdani

Postby Ouijdani » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:52 pm

"CharleyK1" wrote:Hi Ouji :)
---snip
Yes, I'm used to nobles migrating once in a while, that was just the first time I've ever seen one replaced without any loss (large estate remained large.) Every other time I remember it happening, the estate always dropped in size by the time a replacement noble arrived.
---snip

That is exactly what happened here. One of the success criteria was a specific number of large estates. I was one large estate short (not the only victory condition I needed) and when the Noble switched out I was sure I would be down two. Instead it stayed Large.

I had two Nobles from the same family in that game and it could have been when the son moved into his new townhouse house that the family disappeared briefly, but I do not remember. It was not until later that I notice the second generation noble family, so I don't know if the disappearance occurred at that time. The townhouses were across the road from each other.

Edit: to be perfectly clear, I do not know if the related families were involved in the disappearance -- that happened much earlier in the game, before I notice the name similarity. But it could have been another family. Another theory: Dad died while number one son was moving, and number two son did not replace dad until after the funeral??? :)

Ouij
Last edited by Ouijdani on Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CharleyK1

Postby CharleyK1 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:21 pm

"Ouijdani" wrote:That is exactly what happened here. One of the success criteria was a specific number of large estates. I was one large estate short (not the only victory condition I needed) and when the Noble switched out I was sure I would be down two. Instead it stayed Large.

I had two Nobles from the same family in that game and it could have been when the son moved into his new townhouse house that the family disappeared briefly, but I do not remember. It was not until later that I notice the second generation noble family, so I don't know if the disappearance occurred at that time. The townhouses were across the road from each other.

Edit: to be perfectly clear, I do not know if the related families were involved in the disappearance -- that happened much earlier in the game, before I notice the name similarity. But it could have been another family. Another theory: Dad died while number one son was moving, and number two son did not replace dad until after the funeral??? :)

Ouij

I'm not well versed enough to confirm or dispute your theories - they all sound fine to me! LOL

I try to pick up some of the details as I go, but mostly, I am goal oriented, and as long as I'm meeting the scenario goals, I don't investigate too much. There is SO much to absorb, I go a little bit at a time. The most experienced posters here seem to have 5 years or more of collecting info; I've had considerably less, but am catching up slowly :D

Nefercau

Postby Nefercau » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:21 pm

Akhetaten was the Eqyptian name of Akhenaten's city. It is called el-Amarna or just Amarna now. So Amara is your own creation.

CharleyK1

Postby CharleyK1 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:50 pm

When I was googling around, I THINK I found a reference that Amara was another name used for el-Amarna or Amarna too, but of course, I didn't bookmark it and can't find the web site now. The only thing I DID save is a map showing the city of Amara on the Nile, in Nubia.

Perhaps I've confused two different cities, but my only real concern is that I don't steal anyone else's game ideas. I'll take a look at the sandbox scenario referenced above just to be sure nothing in the scenario I'm creating seems similar.

Apepurce73

Unusual Noble Behavior

Postby Apepurce73 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:26 am

A Drag and Drop customer of mine creates their text with Word. Then they copy and paste into a Drag and Drop text box. However, a lot of extra text formatting causes some unusual text behavior.
Does anyone have a suggestion?

CharleyK1

Postby CharleyK1 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:49 pm

Word has a LOT of features, including "hidden" codes. You CAN make those hidden codes visible to get a better understanding of what might be happening, but my suggestion would be to use notepad instead. I believe it should be on any PC with any version of Windows, and it's pretty much a plain text editor with no bells and whistles, which also means nothing to mess up cut-and-paste. It is what I use when transferring text to/from CotN among other applications. If, for some reason, you can't find notepad, look for wordpad, notepad's newer cousin.

If your client has an extensive amount of text already in Word, it's worth trying to use "save as" and save it as a '.txt' file instead of a '.doc' file (from within Word itself). This should make it usable in notepad, and may even strip off any of the formatting codes that have been causing the problems.

...Charley

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:13 pm

I think that may be a potential spammer. From the profile:

About Apepurce73

Biography
Man
Interests
Apepurce73
Occupation
United States

immexia09

Unusual Noble Behavior

Postby immexia09 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:45 pm

i have noticed mostly as was stated, a monster is right in front of me, but is actually programmed to be off screen in a patrol. The reverse has also happened, I walk into a clear area and get swarmed by creatures on patrol, who are not there on the screen but the patrol pattern says they are there, so they jump across screen and catch up.
I also noticed that specifically in Thristy River mission, there was tremdous lag, but mostly on warriors.

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”