Limestones have run dry

If you need any help, or want to discuss strategy, this is the place!
Snidgetwidgeon

Limestones have run dry

Postby Snidgetwidgeon » Thu May 27, 2010 7:40 am

I'm in my first campaign after doing the Son of Ra sandbox scenario. My campaign is Men-Nefer. All good up until completing my great pyramid to win. I let 200 blocks of limestone be used for the Sphinx on WL and also built two very small pyramids not even thinking that I'd eventually run out of blocks. But I have and now my pyramid sits there with nowhere to go. Is this a failure or is there some way I can get more limestones to finish?

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu May 27, 2010 7:43 am

What version of CotN do you have? 1.2 or 1.3 (Alexandria)? You may want to upload a copy of your save game file using the manage attachment button below the reply window along with your next reply in this thread. That way we can see what might be going on.

Snidgetwidgeon

Postby Snidgetwidgeon » Thu May 27, 2010 8:09 am

I'm sorry, I have no idea where to get the file from. I know it's saved in my game but how do I get into the manage attachemnts area? I'm playing Just Children of the Nile, not Alexandria. Thanks for the quick response^^

Snidgetwidgeon

Postby Snidgetwidgeon » Thu May 27, 2010 8:11 am

I don't know how to find out what version it is either >.> You are dealing with a noob I'm afraid.

Snidgetwidgeon

Postby Snidgetwidgeon » Thu May 27, 2010 8:13 am

Found it!

Snidgetwidgeon

Postby Snidgetwidgeon » Thu May 27, 2010 8:15 am

It won't upload. What kind of file does it need to be?

Snidgetwidgeon

Postby Snidgetwidgeon » Thu May 27, 2010 8:21 am

Still trying to uplaod save file...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Snidgetwidgeon

Postby Snidgetwidgeon » Thu May 27, 2010 8:22 am

Yay!

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Thu May 27, 2010 8:23 am

Hi!

As you compose a reply to this posting, you can scroll below the box where you type your text and find a button labeled "manage Attachments". Click there and browse your files until you find your savegame.
You will find you savefile either under "my documents" or wherever you installed CotN, depending on the version you have. Just remember the name of the savegame, it should have a ".ank" ending. click on it until the link appears in the box and click upload. It will take a few seconds, then the name will appear at the same place the manage attachments button is. You can now send your reply.

As to your problem, it should be impossible that a quarry runs dry. After the first layer is empty, the workers will dig deeper and quarry new levels. They must have cleared the first level completely, however. So make sure that there are no more blocks in the first layer of the quarry, make sure there are workers available and overseers dedicated to quarry limestone, and make sure pyramid building is not obstructed otherwise: overseers dedicated, road not blocked, fine limestone available to proceed (you have to import these, if I recall correctly). If there are other bugs, we will need a savegame to help you.

Good luck!

Edit: Yay! I will look at it immediately!

Snidgetwidgeon

Postby Snidgetwidgeon » Thu May 27, 2010 8:29 am

Hmm, I was wondering if they would continue to quarry even if the first layer was gone. But they did just stop when all was moving along fine after the layer was gone so naturally I thought I'd run out and that was it. I'll double check everything and see what they do.

Thank you

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Thu May 27, 2010 8:35 am

Okay, here's your problem:

Of your 3 overseer houses, only one is inhabited. The overseer there is currently building some statues. The other houses are uninhabited because your prestige allows no more educates.

So either you set the one overseer to limestone, or you wait until he finished all other tasks nearer to his house than the quarry, or you work on raising your prestige so other overseers will move in the empty houses. Or you delete some other educates to move them to overseer houses.

As far as I can see, your pharaoh recently died, and this has dropped your prestige. You can either wait until this prestige hit will decrease (and your total prestige rise), or try to raise it by building statues or mastabas.

Any way you decide, you will need to bring an overseer to the quarry to get the needed stones, and then you will need an overseer for the pyramid, and your building project will go on.

Snidgetwidgeon

Postby Snidgetwidgeon » Thu May 27, 2010 8:36 am

LMAO

I think I just had a major blonde moment and left my overseers on pyramid construction instead of back to quarrying when I ran out. There they are now going down to the next layer. :p Thanks a lot guys.

Snidgetwidgeon

Postby Snidgetwidgeon » Thu May 27, 2010 8:38 am

Is the city nice?

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Thu May 27, 2010 8:45 am

"Snidgetwidgeon" wrote:Is the city nice?

It's surely pretty! :)

You can make everything more effective, if you like. Farmers nearer to the floodplain, the pyramid and workers nearer to the quarry, everything a little more crowded so people have shorter ways to shrines or healthcare if they need them. But as your city is working and your people are happy, there is no reason to do so. CotN lets you very freely build at your tastes, there is no need to find out a "perfect layout" for the city to function properly like in so many other city building games. Just build it the way you like it! ;)

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu May 27, 2010 8:46 am

Yep, I saw that you had one empty overseer house and that you had reached your current limit due to your current level of prestige. I built 5 lesser guardian sphinxes to raise your prestige to 25 and that got the second overseer. I then set him for quarrying instead of statue construction.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu May 27, 2010 3:00 pm

Howdy, Snidgetwidgeon!

Nice HUGE spread-out city!

I see that Saks & Keith have already helped, so I will add one thing.

You are limited by prestige & have more Educated Worker buildings then your prestige will allow. 24/24 maxed until you raise your prestige. Only 1/3 populated Overseers & the one populated is set on construction, not quarry limestone.

Anyway, the real solution is you have waaay too many priests. You really only need one Education Center for this game most of the time. Dedicated Education Priest, School & Papyrusmaker all very close & put it in your Noble section (where your students come from in addition to coming from lux shops). You have 3 Education Priests.

Next, is your 7 Health Priests. Health Center is Dedicated Health Priest, Hospital, Apothecary, Papyrusmaker all very close to each other. For your spread-out city, perhaps only 4 Health Centers, but I would try only three.

If you delete these extra Priests, you will be fine & get your Overseers populated.

High prestige is difficult to maintain, due to prestige decay & Pharaoh death hits to prestige, so you should try to minimize the number of Educated Workers you use. Either this or you will need to constantly be building more prestige with tons of statues/propaganda monuments. Expecting pyramids to provide prestige doesn't work that well, due to the time it takes to make them.

Good Luck! :)
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Thu May 27, 2010 3:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Rileses I

How far will the little guys go?

Postby Rileses I » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:50 am

I'd like to make a quick comment on the actual availability of all the natural resources found in the game.I have always wondered if they are infinite resources or WILL they run out after a time?,and I mean a LONG time.I notice quite a lot that my workers make it down below the surface level (to 2nd level),but how far will this descent actually go?,so long as there is an overseer actually overseeing the quarrying process :rolleyes: . Having said that,in many of my cities I usually have a small army of overseers (around 5-10) doing various things so if one house became vacant I am sure another overseer could do his job while the house was occupied again.

Cheers.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:32 am

Quarries never run dry. Even when the graphic is at its limit and the quarry is basically only a slope, the workers still can haul blocks out. I remember someone testing this and posting screenshot somewhere around here.

However, other ressources CAN run dry, or better, the sources can get broken. I saw this happen to acacia trees, flax, reeds and rushes and other plants shopkeepers need. If you have very few of them on a map, eventually they may run out this way.

Rileses I

Postby Rileses I » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:49 am

I think I have noticed papyrus reeds running out in a certain spot once.I had a huge papyrus industry in Khmun (20 mills in total) as I had to meet huge papyrus demands to beat the mission requirements.I managed to meet the requirements in the end but noticed that papyrus supplies were actually dwindling as the papyrus gatherers were making huge treks across the map to get their supplies.I disbanded the 20 mills and had brickworks in their place instead.
Its a shame we cant import basic resources like flax,reeds,clay etc.I think basic resources were available for import in Pharaoh (a great game)...I think

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:51 pm

Resourses grow back if not over-harvested. Quarries, mines, kohl, quartz never run out. Once they get to the point where harvesters are scratching at bare ground for a long time, the resources can go poof & never grow back. We scenariomakers always try to keep this in mind & place enough sprites on the map (unless we are being evil & do it on purpose).

The clever scenariomaker can also make them importable on the world map.

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”