Do exchanges actually work in the city?

If you need any help, or want to discuss strategy, this is the place!
Rileses I

Do exchanges actually work in the city?

Postby Rileses I » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:28 pm

Many times I keep an eye on the exchanges in my cities (I dont have that many,but almost always have one attached to brickmaking sectors) and the activity around them,and almost always nobody seems to use them.Instead of brickmakers getting their basic resources from there they still seem to make the journey to the river's edge all the time.The scribe that works there also has a local supply of papyrus (attached to the exchange itself) to make his job easier.
Any ideas? :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:42 pm

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]
[SIZE=2]Shopkeepers can buy government-harvested resources at the city’s Exchanges, operated by scribes.

Weapons makers will visit the exchange.

Luxury shop owners (cosmetics, furniture, jewelry, and sculpture) will visit the exchange.

Shipyward owners will visit the exchange.

[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Rileses I

Postby Rileses I » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:20 pm

"Keith" wrote:[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]
[SIZE=2]Shopkeepers can buy government-harvested resources at the city’s Exchanges, operated by scribes.

Weapons makers will visit the exchange.

Luxury shop owners (cosmetics, furniture, jewelry, and sculpture) will visit the exchange.

Shipyward owners will visit the exchange.

[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Thing is though,it APPEARS that very rarely these people will actually visit the exchange,I often monitor activity around it for 15mins or so (real time).I am more concerned about the brickmakers as I like these to operate at 100% all the time.It would also seem sensible to assume that a scribe must actually be at the exchange (opening hours) for it to work,hence all the more reason to have the scribe live bang next door to the exchange.
I will have to continue to monitor exchanges in the future as I am convinced they are not being used,or if they are it seems rare as I have never actually seen anyone physically move into the building itself before.
I almost forgot,are ALL the government workers that manufacture a finished product (bricks,papyrus etc) able to use the exchanges and not just the ones you indicated above?

Thanks.
Last edited by Rileses I on Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:50 pm

Workers can only get goods from the exchange that are stored elsewhere. Since there are normally no storage points with papyrus, reeds, clay or flax, your brickmakers and shopkeepers will ignore them and harvest their ressources directly.

For other ressources the workers go the shortest distance. If the exchange is nearer than the mine, the jeweler will get his gold from the exchange. If the cow stands directly in front of the shop, the sandalmaker will not bother to walk a distance to a DOP or exchange.

If you have a short run on the exchange which ceases thereafter even despite the workers need more ressources, this may mean that the ressources in your storage areas have run out. If there is no copper in any DOP anywhere on your map, there is nothing your khopeshmakers, cosmetics or sculpture shopkeepers can go for. It can happen that many workers go out to get some ressources but come too late; f.e. when a ship with a load of cedar wood recently landed, there might be shipmakers, chariot makers, funiture shopkeepers from all over the map runnig to the exchange, but only the first two get some wood, then the storage is empty and the others will go home withour anything. As soon as a new shipment arrives, they will go out again, hoping they get some this time...

Oh, and btw., you are not by any chance currently playing MY scenario? :o I guess this would explain your question about brickmakers using the exchange...
You see, user created scenarios often work way differently than the normal game. In the scenario I recommended in the other thread, a great deal of the challenge comes from having not enough ressources available to let many brickmakers be busy all day. Thats not the fault of the exchange or the brickmakers, but of evil me sending only small caravans with few reeds or rushes per year. :p
Last edited by sakasiru on Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rileses I

Postby Rileses I » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:29 pm

"sakasiru" wrote:Workers can only get goods from the exchange that are stored elsewhere. Since there are normally no storage points with papyrus, reeds, clay or flax, your brickmakers and shopkeepers will ignore them and harvest their ressources directly.

For other ressources the workers go the shortest distance. If the exchange is nearer than the mine, the jeweler will get his gold from the exchange. If the cow stands directly in front of the shop, the sandalmaker will not bother to walk a distance to a DOP or exchange.

If you have a short run on the exchange which ceases thereafter even despite the workers need more ressources, this may mean that the ressources in your storage areas have run out. If there is no copper in any DOP anywhere on your map, there is nothing your khopeshmakers, cosmetics or sculpture shopkeepers can go for. It can happen that many workers go out to get some ressources but come too late; f.e. when a ship with a load of cedar wood recently landed, there might be shipmakers, chariot makers, funiture shopkeepers from all over the map runnig to the exchange, but only the first two get some wood, then the storage is empty and the others will go home withour anything. As soon as a new shipment arrives, they will go out again, hoping they get some this time...

Oh, and btw., you are not by any chance currently playing MY scenario? :o I guess this would explain your question about brickmakers using the exchange...
You see, user created scenarios often work way differently than the normal game. In the scenario I recommended in the other thread, a great deal of the challenge comes from having not enough ressources available to let many brickmakers be busy all day. Thats not the fault of the exchange or the brickmakers, but of evil me sending only small caravans with few reeds or rushes per year. :p

I'm not using your custom scenario no,but may look into it sometime.
Thanks for the info regarding exchanges by the way,that clears that matter up nicely ;)

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:01 pm

Exchanges were designed as a building that allows our city to get gems & metals from mine storage areas/DOP and imported cedar w/o the huge travel distances. In the normal game, that is all that we can get from an exchange.

In a rare User-Created scenario with imported resources, then the exchange works for those too.

With enhanced v1.3.01, the bugged out exchange has now been fixed & requires a scribe to work.

Rileses I

Postby Rileses I » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:17 pm

"Tinkerbell" wrote:Exchanges were designed as a building that allows our city to get gems & metals from mine storage areas/DOP and imported cedar w/o the huge travel distances. In the normal game, that is all that we can get from an exchange.

In a rare User-Created scenario with imported resources, then the exchange works for those too.

With enhanced v1.3.01, the bugged out exchange has now been fixed & requires a scribe to work.

So,there would be no point having an exchange in my brickmaking sector/s? least I know now,forewarned is forearmed.

Cheers.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:54 pm

"Rileses I" wrote:So,there would be no point having an exchange in my brickmaking sector/s?

Correct!

Since the bug fix, I have basically stopped using exchanges totally, since I play on hard difficulty & prestige is tough to get in many scenarios.

Rileses I

Postby Rileses I » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:10 pm

"Tinkerbell" wrote:Correct!

Since the bug fix, I have basically stopped using exchanges totally, since I play on hard difficulty & prestige is tough to get in many scenarios.

Thanks again :)

Moseswannabe

Postby Moseswannabe » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:07 am

It seems to me the purpose of the exchange is to make the private economy more efficient..thus its role can have great effect since it provides shops with the stuff to make the better luxery goods faster. Since these stay in the customers house longer, the customer if free to go do other stuff like go worship etc. If the educated workers have less to do..they are available to do what we want them too. if we are iporting wood..we want our dockspace cleard as fast as possible. this means drop off points near the landings. my shop keepers are usually further inland so a walk half as far to the exchange could make the differance for your scribes getting into the field to count a decent average tax. And nobles with nice pads able to keep the farms steady.2 scribes for 12 nobles with one set for all task could be a bigger pay off then then assighing more scribes or micro manageing city satiscation. Wich could mean faster prestige in the hard setting..blah blah..even if we are not collecting all taxes possible the food does not waste. Afterall we are not tyrants. :P

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:27 pm

I acutally keep my metals, gems & cedar with a high reserve & deny these things to my lux shops totally. Metals & gems are usually required for World Map site opening & upkeep.

My high class people get all the higher lux goods they need from my merchant center, via World Map peddlers.

With cedar, I micro the reserve constantly up & down, so only who needs it gets it ~ shipwrights & weaponsmakers. For the rare times I need Khopeshes, same thing.

With v1.3.01, DOPS in the correct location, which I also micro dedication of, have replaced my prior use of multiple exchanges. Example ~ Two cedar DOPS, one by shipwright & one by weaponsmakers will have their dedications constantly switched to keep cedar in the one needed at the time.

Removing the exchange bug exploit cheat has made the game both harder & much more enjoyable. I love it!
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:42 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”