How many bakeries do you normally build?

If you need any help, or want to discuss strategy, this is the place!
Rileses I

How many bakeries do you normally build?

Postby Rileses I » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:02 pm

I would like to begin a discussion on bakeries and how many you employ in your cities.

Obviously this will initially be decided on the size of your city,how many workers,labourers,services etc are in your city.In most cities (especially ones that continue to grow larger over time) I will usually always leave room for expansion to 4 bakeries in each sector,by sector I mean:
- royal district (containing the nobles etc)
- farming sector/s (usually I even open up a second farming sector that deals solely with trade imports or for feeding labourers by growing only wheat)
- brickmaking sectors (these are normally detached away from the main city and need their own local bakeries as a result)
- labouring sites (typically those close to pyramid construction sites,again these are seen as satellite sectors and will need their own bakeries close to their work areas)
- quarry sites (same as above)

The last 3 sites usually seem to cope with only 2 bakeries I have discovered,but it doesnt hurt to leave room for 4 if needed.My strategy involves monitoring the entire city over time,hovering over each main sector while keeping an eye on overall bread consumption.If any bakery seems to be struggling (or has run out) this would indicate that another bakery would be needed.

What strategy do you use? :)
Last edited by Rileses I on Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:43 pm

It's difficult to say, since it highly depends on the kind of city you are building and on the scenario goals you try to reach. Roughly I'd say I build as many as I have sets of common shops.

In the royal district I need only one usually, since only priests live there who'd need to get food from one, and they are easily satisfied, even if they have to walk further occasionally. If the city is small, I place none there as the priests (with school ant mortuary) move to a temple-and-healthcare district, which also covers the farmer section.

Farming sector is difficult, since it depends on what else I build there. Only farms need no bakery, but if I place many scribes and priests there, I ususally place a bakery with every common shop set. A bit of overkill, but scribes are picky, and I have my excess food rather stored in bakeries than in granaries.

Brickmakers are often near the farmers in my cities, so either they get their food (and services) from their district or I build as many bakeries in between them as it needs. After a few years you'll see if there's enough left until the next harvest or if the bakeries run empty, so you can decide to place more (or more farmers, if all bakeries in the city run out of food).

I'm one of those players who like to build remote worker camps. Depending on their size, every one gets at least one bakery, but even in a big quarry-and-pyramid-building-camp I never needed more than 3 bakeries.

Military camps on the other hand seem to need lots of bakeries. I usually place the weapon makers close to them, then a healthcare center with priest, commanders etc, they draw food from the bakeries like a sponge! 3-4 bakeries (depending on the size of the army, naturally) can keep up with the demand, less won't be quick enough to process all the harvest into bread.

As a rule of thumb, I place enough bakeries spread over the city like I wrote above, to hold all the food I harvest, and watch if they have leftover of PROCESSED food until the next harvest arrives. If they only have raw food, I need more bakeries. If they have none, I need more farms. If they have enough processed food and everyone ist satisfied, and I still need more food for WM tasks, I begin to build granaries.

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:55 pm

Government workers require access to a bakery. So that is where you build them. If a bakery keeps running out of bread and the demand is high and you have a adequate supply of wheat then build another bakery to take up the slack.

The chart below explains how food is distributed and where the people get it from.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:44 pm

Bakeries

First of all, realise that the World Map will take processed food if available before it will take raw food. This means that your single bakery wherever, that was doing fine, could be totally stripped of processed food.

My start build has two central bakeries in farm section for brickmakers & one bakery in noble section for education priest.

My Noble section only gets one bakery, cuz it has only an education priest, papyrus maker & a later gardiner.

My initial services gets a bakery also, for two priests, health & worship.

At this point I place at least 4 granaries away from my city along with two small mastabas for pharaoh death..

Each scribe I add gets a private bakery/papyrusmaker. Since my first two bakeries go in the center of the farm section, the first two scribes go on the ends of the fam section (total 4 farm section bakeries now). This will take care of additional papyrusmakers also.

Next build will be laborers (8-12 to start) & they will also get a bakery. Overseers will be placed in a group & they will also get at least one bakery. These bakeries can increase with size of labor section.

Next build will be military equipment makers they they will also get a bakery. Then military itself will get a bakery. Commanders, like overseers will get another bakery. Depending on required size of military/commanders, the number of bakeries will increase.

The way I build my cities causes bakery overlap since city sections either touch or overlap with other sections. This is the redundancy.

During this process, I will continuously click on a random bakery & use the <> arrows on its display to cycle through all bakeries. If any bakery has less than 100 prepared food, another bakery will be added.

Of course, bakeries are dependent on the harvest, so the raw numbers in the bakeries tell me when I need more nobles/scribes, rather than just more bakeries.

A bakery makes about 7 prepared food from raw per minute.

If I use a remote labor camp for limestone, it will have 3 bakeries minimum for Priests, Overseers & a ton of laborers. If a remote camp isn't HUGE, then there is no reason to have it.
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:03 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Rileses I

Postby Rileses I » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:49 am

I think the bottom line ultimately depends on the size of the city and how much larger you expect it to grow.As I said,I always leave room for 4 bakeries in each main sector,just in case.

Thanks for the replies so far :)

Rileses I

Postby Rileses I » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:54 am

"Tinkerbell" wrote:Bakeries

First of all, realise that the World Map will take processed food if available before it will take raw food. This means that your single bakery wherever, that was doing fine, could be totally stripped of processed food.

My start build has two central bakeries in farm section for brickmakers & one bakery in noble section for education priest.

My Noble section only gets one bakery, cuz it has only an education priest, papyrus maker & a later gardiner.

My initial services gets a bakery also, for two priests, health & worship.

At this point I place at least 4 granaries away from my city along with two small mastabas for pharaoh death..

Each scribe I add gets a private bakery/papyrusmaker. Since my first two bakeries go in the center of the farm section, the first two scribes go on the ends of the fam section (total 4 farm section bakeries now). This will take care of additional papyrusmakers also.

Next build will be laborers (8-12 to start) & they will also get a bakery. Overseers will be placed in a group & they will also get at least one bakery. These bakeries can increase with size of labor section.

Next build will be military equipment makers they they will also get a bakery. Then military itself will get a bakery. Commanders, like overseers will get another bakery. Depending on required size of military/commanders, the number of bakeries will increase.

The way I build my cities causes bakery overlap since city sections either touch or overlap with other sections. This is the redundancy.

During this process, I will continuously click on a random bakery & use the <> arrows on its display to cycle through all bakeries. If any bakery has less than 100 prepared food, another bakery will be added.

Of course, bakeries are dependent on the harvest, so the raw numbers in the bakeries tell me when I need more nobles/scribes, rather than just more bakeries.

A bakery makes about 7 prepared food from raw per minute.

If I use a remote labor camp for limestone, it will have 3 bakeries minimum for Priests, Overseers & a ton of laborers. If a remote camp isn't HUGE, then there is no reason to have it.

We might like to talk a little bit about scribes here while we are at it.
How many do you use for assessing taxes?.Personally I have found 5-6 can adequately manage 100 farms,IF placed properly,ie:close to the farms and close to their needed services,and also with local access to a Thoth temple (just my preference,and I like lots of temples in my cities if I can afford to build them).This natually works out at 3 scribes for every 50 farms,one on each end as you mentioned,and one in the middle.This would seem the optimum balance.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:38 pm

I use 2-3 scribes mostly, but more if I can. That is for 8-12 nobles. I want at least half of my fields counted reliably. I put a 2nd set of lux shops in my farm section specifically for scribes, but that is about it. When my scribe wants to goto a feast or health/worship, he can walk that far. No biggie.

My Health/worship is always smack dab in the center of my city & then 1-2 more health centers as city grows..
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rileses I

Postby Rileses I » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:53 pm

"Tinkerbell" wrote:I use 2-3 scribes mostly, but more if I can. That is for 8-12 nobles. I want at least half of my fields counted reliably. I put a 2nd set of lux shops in my farm section specifically for scribes, but that is about it. When my scribe wants to goto a feast or health/worship, he can walk that far. No biggie.

My Health/worship is always smack dab in the center of my city & then 1-2 more health centers as city grows..

Health Centre = would that be 2 hospitals,2 apocs,with attached priests?
I have 1 HC in royal district,and 1 for the farming sector.If there are 100 + farms I may include 1 more hospital/and apoc for the 2nd farm sector.Remember 1 sector is 50 farms
My temples are normally attached to any edge of the sector in question,with the cult temple in the middle of this 'temple complex',or wherever there is more space.Everything else though is generally centralized.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:34 pm

A heath center is a hospital, apothecary & dedicated health priest in the middle. If the preist it too close to one but far from the other, it can kinda ignore the other sometimes.

Usually city size creates the need for new heatlh centers, especially the addition of military. When my Admin Report goes on RED Alert, I add another. However I kinda know when it will happen as I build & do it in advance.

Heath centers are always spread out, so the new ones will be on the edges of my city.
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:59 pm

You never need 2 hospitals or apothecarys together. If one set (like Tink described) isn't enough, build another, where it is needed. You can see that by clicking on healthcare in your report, then all buildings with problems will be lit.

You also should not go simply by numbers. While 50 farmers may be up and well most of the time, 10 workers or 15 soldiers might keep a hospital busy. They have more regular illnesses than farmers, nobles or educates due to their dangerous jobs. I usually have one healthcare center (hospital, apothecary and priest) in the main city, and add another as soon as I build a military district and/ or a remote worker camp/ construction site. Main city gets only two if it's either very huge or very spread out (or on both sides of the river).

Return to “Game Help &amp; Strategy”