Looking for some tips

If you need any help, or want to discuss strategy, this is the place!
Kawwah85

Looking for some tips

Postby Kawwah85 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:32 am

Hey guys.

I love CotN, its awesome to see a small community with huts grow into a massive empire. If however, it would be succesful for me. Which it isnt.

Maybe its just me missing the point here, but every time I try to build a community, the people very quickly get unsatisfied because of lack of food, even though I have farms and bakeries, and lack of common wares, even though I have shops that occupy most of the area, and instead of getting better, it gets worse and they end up demonstrating.. What am i doing wrong?

How can I keep them satisfied? I really dont understand it.

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:21 am

Welcome.

Food is money. It's not only eaten but used to barter for goods. Your shops could be full of goods, but without grain to barter with your people cannot obtain those goods and they become disatisfied. (See the image on food distribution below.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:01 pm

It sounds like you don't have enough food in your city. How many farms do you have? How many of those are actually inhabited?
Every farm house needs to be patroned by either the palace or a noble. The palace can have 6-10 farms (depending on its size), every noble 4-8 farms. Add farms and nobles until your food increases. Farmers and nobles will take their share directly from the harvest, educates and workers will get it from the bakeries. Once everyone has enough to eat and some food left, they can go shopping for wares with it, which will in turn feed your shopkeepers.

If this doesn't help, you can post a savegame of your city and we will look into it to see what else is going wrong.

Kawwah85

Postby Kawwah85 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:48 pm

Ahh ya, I kinda got the food situation under control. But I still find it complicated. Ive been reading in the manual about what the different shops need of resources, and ive been trying to put them near the required resources, but my main problems are now with people wanting common shops and stuff. I have the max farms I can have.

Thanks for the advice btw

Kawwah85

Postby Kawwah85 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:19 pm

Ok, I got it working. Thanks guys.
It seems I have been doing it all wrong from the start. Didnt know I had to start with a Palace and max the farmers, then build nobles and servant shacks. Its been going quite well with this strategy. Everyone is happy and my city is becoming huge. :)

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:56 pm

That's great! Image

You don't have to build the shops near the ressources. All the children and the father will gather ressources, and many at once, so they rarely run out even if they have to go far to fetch them. Better place the shops spread around in your city, so all other people have short ways when they decide to go shopping. Also place complete sets of shops (common), so if a shop is suddenly sold out, the CotNizen visiting it can shop an other item next door.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:59 pm

Yes. With common shops, the mother does the crafting, so the father and children will go across the map to gather all the resources.

With luxury shops, the father does the crafting, so only the children gather resources, and the mother does the shopping with the food they get paid for their wares.

When I start a city, I start with one group of 4 common shops near the farms and brick makers, and another up by the nobles and palace. By those guys I also include a group of 6 luxury shops.

After a couple of years I add another group of common shops on the far end of the farmhouses from the original group. Later I add another 4 common and 6 luxury up by the palace (as I get more nobles and priests and such), and then another 4 to 8 common in another area off to the side where my laborers and soldiers go.

How many I add is dependent on how large the city is becoming and how much fighting I have to do.

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”