Hennen-Nesu Strategy

If you need any help, or want to discuss strategy, this is the place!
mklangelo

Hennen-Nesu Strategy

Postby mklangelo » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:35 pm

I'd like to hear your basic strategy for this scenario. Particularly how you place your city guards and you other educated elite. No mattter what I do, I can't seem to keep the city safe. The guards are hardly ever on patrol when and where I need them. I can't afford 3 or 4 commanders which is what it seems will be needed to keep them near enough the guard posts.

Thanks,

MK
Last edited by mklangelo on Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:27 pm

Guards tend to patrol when they have at least basic weapons. You need a city commander set for City Guard.

I usually build guard posts near the entrances to my city and a few somewhere internally. The number of these you place depends on the size of your city. Since I tend to build my cities in a grid-like pattern with intersecting roads, the placement of posts and guards isn't too hard for me.

I place a barracks tent for city guards next to each one ( I prefer that method.) You need at least one weapons maker making "weapons" (basic weapons). If you have a lot of guards, you may want more than one weapons shop making "weapons".

When guards fill the barracks and have weapons they'll patrol a area around the guard post in a sort of loop. They may even store some weapons in the guard post.

Since raiders tend to go for the palace and the nobletown houses, I would concentrate most of my guard posts in and around that general area. But it's a good idea to protect the entire city if you can. My palace and noble townhouses are generally located close to each other and not spread out over the map. To get to them the raiders have to pass at least one, if not more, guard posts on the outskirts of my city.

If you have an army in your city some of those will also aid in fighting off raiders, but if you have enough city guards and placed well they can usually handle the job.

Some folks use city walls to make a maze like entrance to the city from known approaches to slow down the raiders. City walls won't stop raiders just slow them down a bit.

mklangelo

Postby mklangelo » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:18 pm

Oh yea, I always get a head start on equipment so that's not an issue. The game guide suggested keeping the posts and the guards near the commander, which is really difficult.

I'll try your method.

Thanks again, Keith!

MK

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:34 pm

I place most of my commanders, overseers and priests in the area surrounding my noble townhouses. This makes it convenient for them to attend feasts that the Luxury Townhouse level nobles will throw. The feast is part of fulfilling the entertainment requirements of the commanders, priests, and overseers. So my commanders are never very far from the area to be patrolled.

Even when I may move them a bit futher away from the ideal location, I've never had any problems getting my city guards to patrol. You just want to position them all near all the entry chokepoints in your city and have a few stationed near the noblemen and place as insurance.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:26 am

You don't need city guards.

This is a patented Tricky & VERY Evil™ puzzle scenario.

mklangelo

Postby mklangelo » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:30 am

"Tinkerbell" wrote:You don't need city guards.

This is a patented Tricky & VERY Evil™ puzzle scenario.

Well, the raiders never take much. A couple loaves of bread, some animal hides. More a nuisance than anything.

I did the scenario in 39 years. It would have gone quicker but I didn't use my laborers very wisely and took my time exploring Nubia and resting my army in between battles. I sent them out to battle without letting them come home once and they really caused me problems when they did get back.

So how do you do it without City Guards? Just ignore the raiders?

BTW: The populace is VERY cranky and prone to complaining early on in this scenario. It's all you can do to keep them happy early on. Once you get going, the city is on auto pilot though. I didn't find the Stele Quarry until relatively late so I had a major backlog of Prestige just waiting for me.

And when will I get to build some huge Obelisks? So far it's not possible.

MK
Last edited by mklangelo on Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:40 pm

In the Military Raider maps I will usually place my Barracks for the city guard near the elites and Palace. That way even if they are not on Patrol at the Guard Posts, the chances are high the raiders will come across guards that are just going about their daily duties. And yes, the guards that are shopping or other wise not on duty patrolling, will still attack bandits if they cross paths.

Probably not what the designers thought people would do but it works so well I do not place guard posts anymore except perhaps for areas where I do not have any barracks.

:cool:

mklangelo

Postby mklangelo » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:31 pm

"PantherX" wrote:In the Military Raider maps I will usually place my Barracks for the city guard near the elites and Palace. That way even if they are not on Patrol at the Guard Posts, the chances are high the raiders will come across guards that are just going about their daily duties. And yes, the guards that are shopping or other wise not on duty patrolling, will still attack bandits if they cross paths.

Probably not what the designers thought people would do but it works so well I do not place guard posts anymore except perhaps for areas where I do not have any barracks.

Exactly. I place my Palace near the route the Raiders take and simply place Guard Posts accordingly with soldiers near the Posts. Works like a charm.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:27 pm

I don't worry about raiders any more, because they normally cause so little problem it's not worth worrying about. Unless it's a scenario built by a player. :D

When I am worried about the raiders, I will place walls around the city, and place guard posts at the entry points. Usually several of them. And inside the city walls will be all the barracks, so raiders have to go through a gauntlet to get to the city. By the time they get there, they panic and run away, normally.

I tried to use Courier New to put in a little picture, but it wasn't happening, so you'll just have to imagine what I mean.

The raiders will head straight for the opening and get bottled up on the way to the city every time. I guess they need a Hannibal to teach them siege-craft. :)

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:21 pm

"Yahya" wrote:I don't worry about raiders any more, because they normally cause so little problem it's not worth worrying about. Unless it's a scenario built by a player. :D

HeHeHe

:D

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”