Laborer to Overseer ratio?

If you need any help, or want to discuss strategy, this is the place!
mklangelo

Laborer to Overseer ratio?

Postby mklangelo » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:31 pm

Right now it's 1:24 and no more than 8 laborers are working at on time. It's a Great Pyramid.

TIA as always!

MK

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:13 pm

Only 8 of 24? Are you only counting the ones carrying limestone? You need to also count the laborers after hauling ~ going home/shopping/services, going back to quarry, going to DOPs.

Again, distance is the issue. Also whether you have other Overseer jobs going on.

Constructing pyramids, one Construction Overseer & infinite laborers. That is assuming you can keep that one Overseer happy & doing his job close to his home. Distance is an issue for Overseers also.

Personally, for a Great Pyramid, I would use two Construction Overseers. Not cuz you need two, rather two keeps one at the Pyramid at all times.

Also, limestone is limiting with any pyramid. If either limestone type gets low or runs out, then the pyramid construction stops. Multiple DOPS work much better than only one.
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mklangelo

Postby mklangelo » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:00 pm

"Tinkerbell" wrote:Only 8 of 24? Are you only counting the ones carrying limestone? You need to also count the laborers after hauling ~ going home/shopping/services, going back to quarry, going to DOPs.

Again, distance is the issue. Also whether you have other Overseer jobs going on.

Constructing pyramids, one Construction Overseer & infinite laborers. That is assuming you can keep that one Overseer happy & doing his job close to his home. Distance is an issue for Overseers also.

Personally, for a Great Pyramid, I would use two Construction Overseers. Not cuz you need two, rather two keeps one at the Pyramid at all times.

Also, limestone is limiting with any pyramid. If either limestone type gets low or runs out, then the pyramid construction stops. Multiple DOPS work much better than only one.

As always, Tinkerbell, thanks for your reply!

I have plenty of limestone of both types located just feet from the ramp and a construction camp right near the pyramid itself.

So I'll beef up the laborers and add another overseer?

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:05 pm

Yes, definitely more laborers for a Great pyramid if you want it complete this century. ;)

And remember what I said about multiple DOPs. Having all the stones in one DOP means less stones will be triggered. What I do is import to one DOP, then place a new one & dedicate it for awhile, then add a 3rd, even a 4th. Then just change the dedication to the lowest-filled DOP. That means 4 DOPs for each type of limestone. Always one tile away from each other, cuz activated stones expand into nearby tiles. Never have DOPs touching each other (and this is not just for limestone DOPs).
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 7 times in total.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:58 pm

Ya know Tink, I don't know how I miss these things or is this a new tip?
Multiple stocked Drop off Points (DoP) will enable more laborers to pull more stone at the same time.

In a Sandbox I have played with I have the DoP's right next to the pyramid, a few steps away are the laborers huts, shops, shrines & health care. There is minimal travel time required for the laborers to get the personal tasks completed. This leaves the majority of my laborers available during work hours.

With just a single limestone and single fine limestone DoP's I have never seen more than 4 carts at a time regardless of the number of overseers (1-4).

I added another set of DoP's and have now seen 6 carts and I believe there would be more if the trips were farther away. Time to go move those DoP's... :D

I really love a game where I can learn new tricks all the time, thanks ;)
:cool:

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:28 pm

I will usually start importing fine limestone long before I start building the actual pyramid. In many cities you'll have to import, but there is at least one city where you can quarry both types of limestone.

Many times I'll have all the fine limestone I need, or nearly so, on hand before I start. I place the drop off point for the imported fine limestone near the ramp area for the planned pyramid, so the laborers working on the pyramid have a shorter trip. A single drop off point can hold all the fine limestone you need.

When the fine limestone arrives by barge, a regular string of sledges appears from the dock all heading towards the DOP near the pyramid.

While that supply is building, I will quarry the limestone from my own limestone quarry to have a huge supply of the regular limestone ready for use before the construction starts.

On a grand pyramid I will often use at least two, even three overseers. I will keep them in my city near the noble townhouses but at a point where they are also as close as they can be to the pyramid. I try to avoid building pyramids in remote locations far from my city.

I have had as many as 90 laborers or more on some attempts. I try to keep several bakeries, shrines, common shops etc. near the labor housing area which is still within my city but nearest to the pyramid construction.

With this sort of combination I've seen as many as 12 blocks of limestone and fine limestone being hauled towards the pyramid at the same time once construction has begun.

To finish off the pyramid surface I'll used multiple stone carvers, roughly 4-6.

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”