Confine the boundaries of a city or labour camp

If you need any help, or want to discuss strategy, this is the place!
bronzeKhopesh

Confine the boundaries of a city or labour camp

Postby bronzeKhopesh » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:32 pm

Hey all.
So I'm having quite a bit of a problem with my city, where, aside from the main city itself, I have two labour camps some distance away. The problem is, people will sometimes walk from the labour camp to the city (for worship or for goods), completely ignoring the facilities that are much closer to them, i.e. in the camp itself.

I assume this is some issue with prioritization. My camps have priests, worship facilities, shops, bakeries, all that. Since they're quite far from their resource sites, sometimes they're empty (is there any way to bring these supplies closer to them?). Sometimes, the priests will also take a day to walk off to a city to party, and then spend a day getting back. Is there a way to confine them all to one area?

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:40 pm

In short, no.

I pretty much gave up on labor camps long ago while I play. I place all my labor huts in the city along with the overseers and let them walk to the work site. Since I keep all my "services" in the city they don't have far to walk to get them and it seems to keep them happy enough and work still gets done at the quarries and construciton sites.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:21 pm

I agree with Keith.

The only way to avoid that if you use a separate work camp is to provide EVERYTHING those workers will need, so you have to provide all the services, including a noble and entertainer, so there's nowhere else for the people to go.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:35 am

Another issue is if your after sandals and your local shop is out, you may walk to town to get some sandals there. But then usually by time you walked all the way to town you missed a days work and the vendor happens to be out by then anyways. Off to go protest!
:cool:

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:43 pm

Yes, that's true. And that, coupled with my comment about needing a noble out in that work camp (and all the services that requires), is why most of us don't try to build workers close to the sites any longer.

It is much simpler to build one city and have the workers walk to work. With people like miners and quarry workers, once the overseer queues their work, they will work until they are done, so once they get to work, they're good for a while. If their services are close to home, they can get everything they need quickly and head back to work.

However, if for some reason they run out of a service they need, especially after a long walk to find it, it can be a disaster for the city.

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:24 pm

Note: I moved the reply that was here to a new thread.

http://tiltedmill.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=27095

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”