annual food consumption

If you need any help, or want to discuss strategy, this is the place!
Hatshepsut

annual food consumption

Postby Hatshepsut » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:10 pm

Hello @ all,

some time ago I wanted to get back to something relaxing, so I decided to dig out my CotN again after quite a while- and I'm again addicted to it :D

Generally, everything is working fine (with a lot of hints I found here!), but there was a question coming up:

When I look at my resources manager, in the left corner, there is a number that is supposed to tell me the amount of food my workers need. I assumed this is what they get/earn in one year. But when I look at the statistics on the right, the number of food spent for workers is much higher. Investigation with my cursor told me this is what they consumed in one year (or sth like this). So what is the number in the left corner about?

I wondered the lower number could be what the essentially need to eat, and the difference to the higher number could be what they additionally need to buy their goods and stuff. Is this correct? (because then the lower number would not seem so useful to me) I'm still producing enough food, but since I want to plan a little how much food I can spend on the World Map, it would be interesting to know :cool:

Thanks in advance!

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:55 am

Hi!

Yeah, the numbers never add up. The bigger your city gets, the larger the difference will grow. I stopped giving too much attention to it, since I just assumed it isn't calculated correctly. But you may be right with your idea. Or maybe it's the minimum amount you have to provide so that the workers will not become unhappy and leave. For calculating your needed stock, you better look at the numbers for the previous year.
If you have a lot of workers, it's also a good idea to have enough bakeries to hold that amount and only spend what's left over in the granaries, since it's better to have the food readily prepared for the wives to pick up any time they want. If they have to try again and again until they get their share, they may become unhappy even if you have enough food in stock.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:12 pm

Yes, that is about right, Hatshepsut. The amount on the left is the absolute minimum you must provide to sustain the city. The number on the right is how much they actually took. You don't have the ability to set wages in CotN, so they people take as much food as they think they need. :)

You can get a feel for how much food everyone needs by looking at well-stocked houses in a well-running city, but that would still just be a thumbrule.

I manage my food by placing bakeries near all the workers who need them (sometimes more than one in the brick-making and military / labor areas), and then making it my goal to fill those bakeries. If I am keeping the bakeries full and seeing spoilage in the threshing area, I start building more granaries. I build two granaries very early in a game to make sure I don't leave anything in the threshing area, and then add more later when the bakeries are at their maximum.

Hatshepsut

Postby Hatshepsut » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:40 pm

Wow, thank you for those quick and nice answers!
The number on the right will be the more useful information then- but good to know what they both are about.

Have a good time! :)

Flammehav

Postby Flammehav » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:59 pm

I figured the food mentioned is the food they need to eat, but since food is also currencies, they want some to shop for too. elite workers want to buy more stuff than brick-workers and soldiers does and will taken even more.

Atleast that is how I think its working. If you only provide the minimum amount of food, they will be unhappy because of lack of wares and your shopkeepers might be unhappy since they lack food because not enough people buy their wares.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:41 am

Yes. That is exactly how it works. :)

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”