City Layout

If you need any help, or want to discuss strategy, this is the place!
Egyptian Fanatic

City Layout

Postby Egyptian Fanatic » Tue May 19, 2015 6:40 am

Hi guys, it's me again :cool: . How do you layout your Cities? I usually put my Nobles and Palace in a separate area from the "Peasants", because I like things to be realistic, but I just want some ideas

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue May 19, 2015 4:36 pm

My basic layout is similar. Farmers near the river to shorten their walk to work and home. The Palace and noble townhouses are further inland with all the priests, overseers, scribes and commanders near them.

I separate both areas by the shrines I usually build, or, a temple or cult temple if one is required by the scenario goals. This allows the elites and farmers access to them by keeping the walk relatively shorter for both.

My brick makers and papyrus makers are also located closer to the river than not, so they may obtain the raw materials they require readily to keep production levels as high as possible.

I don't make the city too large with great walking distances. The palace is a distance away from the river, but not an immense distance from it. The city footprint is compact but not tiny. There is space in the city and it is not tightly jammed together.

Here is a basic layout that I use:

Code: Select all

Palace

priest  Townhouse  Townhouse  commanders
                     school  Townhouse  Townhouse
                     priest   
                             scribes/overseers/priests

religious buildings area

apothecary hospital

brick makers  papyrus makers

farmer houses
                              flood plain/clay/papyrus
                              flood plain/clay/papyrus

river

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Wed May 20, 2015 10:20 am

Check out some of the user scenarios.

When people play them, they often post a victory screen and one or two screenshots.
Some screenies give a pretty good idea of the players' layouts.

BTW, in general, user scenarios are more fun than the campaign scenarios - and there are a lot of them.

Egyptian Fanatic

User Scenarios

Postby Egyptian Fanatic » Thu May 21, 2015 7:57 am

For some reason, I cant download OR open User Created Scenarios :(

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Thu May 21, 2015 3:13 pm

Try this one:
http://tiltedmill.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15314

Instructions are for Windows 7
(Also my version is on CD without Alexandria, but shouldn't matter)

Download the zip file from the attachments in the first post and save it somewhere.
Click it to open the zip
copy the scn file to
Libraries/Documents/My Documents/Tilted Mill/Children of the Nile/Scenarios

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu May 21, 2015 4:24 pm

"Egyptian Fanatic" wrote:For some reason, I cant download OR open User Created Scenarios :(

Do you have the current version of CotN installed. If you have an old original version you may need to install the patch files.

You may also need to have the Alexandria addon installed for other scenarios to work.

Save games have the ".ank" filename suffix. These to in the Saved Games folder of the game.

The Alexandria add on, is a steam-only file. This moves all the user created files in the game to the Libraries/Documents/Tilted Mill/Children of the Nile folder under your Windows username on the hard drive. All .ank files go in the Saved Games folder in that path.

Some files on this board my be missing from their original posts. The board has changes servers several times over the years and many older file attachments were lost.

You may also find many save game and scenario files located on the file center at the Children of the Nile section of the Heavens Games website. They also have sections for all the other citybuilder games as well. http://cotn.heavengames.com/
Last edited by Keith on Thu May 21, 2015 4:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”