Dealing with worship complaints (Edit: NVM)

If you need any help, or want to discuss strategy, this is the place!
Chopkinsca

Dealing with worship complaints (Edit: NVM)

Postby Chopkinsca » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:22 pm

New to the game and enjoying it greatly. I jumped into the game after the huge info dump of a tutorial and figured things out mostly. I have one problem though, I have no idea how to deal with worship complaints. I don't know which gods to assign to shrines to cover everybody, or how many shrines or priests to build. Any help would be great.

Edit:
I think I found my answers just by diving a bit deeper into topics on this forum. I also took a peek at a finished city to see how it works out. I think my biggest issue in this game for now is how far will people walk to get what they need, that and when is it too far that they don't get their jobs done.

Yahya

Re: Dealing with worship complaints (Edit: NVM)

Postby Yahya » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:09 am

Hi Chopkinsca, and welcome.

You're right; everybody who has started with CotN has had to make that adjustment. In the beginning many of us built work camps like the tutorial explains to do, but we quickly learned that the overseer from a distant pyramid camp will walk all the way to town to go to the hospital even though there's one next door to his house. :lol:

Feel free to ask your questions. There are a few people still reading this forum and we like to discuss this classic game.

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:45 pm

The icons that indicate satisfaction/dissatisfaction by their green, yellow, or red color show what the status is of the last attempt to obtain worship. If the temple/shrine is closed too often it may cause the icon to change to yellow and then red.

The icon only indicates the previous status not the current status. So if you fix the problem by building a nother religious building or adding more priests, the icon may remain yellow or red for time before it becomes green again.

All you can do is to find out what the complaint is by clicking on the icon and then observe the problem. It might be that the religious building is too far away or the priests are so busy they don't visit it often enough. You may have to build a new building dedicatd to the specific god closer or add a priest or both.

Undedicated religious buildings do not have much effect on the needs of the people. Each building should be dedicated to a god.

When I play, I usually only build shrines. One to each god. I locate them some place centrally so all my people travel about the same distance to get there. I eventually have up to three priests set to "tend the gods". This keeps the shrines open most of the time and people can visit them and meet their needs easily.

I only build temples or cult temples when the scenario goals state one must be built.

Temples service a large number of people. Shrines handle less. Temples require statues for dedication. Shrines do not.

Chopkinsca

Postby Chopkinsca » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:43 pm

Now I understand how to play the game.

One quick question. What's the point of merchants on the map that only buy stuff, but sell nothing?

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:14 am

We'll need you to be more specific. There should be no merchants who sell nothing. Well, that is unless you haven't set up any customers for them, or the population has no demand for their goods because they have more important concerns.

For example a population with healthcare problems won't shop for luxury items, or to be more precise, a household will buy nothing if they are complaining outside your palace.

But if you tell us which merchants you're having trouble with we can be more specific.

Chopkinsca

Postby Chopkinsca » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:31 am

Oh, I mean on the world level screen. I have a few peddlers who only have stuff in their 'buy' section. It was in Itjtawy that I've seen it. Hope that's more clear.

Another question, one I probably could answer for myself. If there is already the start of a city pre-built at the start of a mission, will it hurt me to demolish it all and start fresh? I can only think of vagrants and losing any resources invested in the buildings.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:22 pm

The merchant caravan's depicted on the world map are trade routes. They do bring in goods that your shops and citizens will want. They function much like cities do in trade. They generally want some sort of product you make or have in return for their goods. Click on them and open the trade routes to these traders to get them into your city.

Merchants from cities naturally bring goods from their city and expect to get items from your city stated in the trade window. If you don't have the items to give them when they arrive they will hang around for a long time waiting for it to become available in your city. Some may leave empty handed and if that happens often enough the trade route my automatically close. You would have to reopen the trade route again as if it were the first time.

Demolishing pre-built structures won't hurt at all.

Chopkinsca

Postby Chopkinsca » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:57 pm

I do understand how trade works. I'm just wondering about this situation: http://postimg.org/image/ysbwye6jn/

I'm really glad I gave this game another chance. It's so relaxing and enjoyable to play. I find I'm in a "just one more building" kind of mood and I keep playing.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:02 pm

In those cases, when they buy only, it adds a bit of grain to your economy. Transactions are paid in grain.

Chopkinsca

Postby Chopkinsca » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:30 pm

Ah, I should have figured that, as that's how it works in the city. For some reason I thought the world level would be different? Anyway, thanks for the answers. I'll post more questions if I ever have any.

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:43 am

No problem. Feel free to start a new topic when the question has a different subject. :D

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:25 pm

Lux shops only get food from their customers. World Map trader sites are helpful to keep those Lux shops happy, by buying their wares.

Chopkinsca

Postby Chopkinsca » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:17 pm

Makes sense.

A question that doesn't really deserve it's own topic. Are failed floods random? I'm on Djedu and I had three failed floods in a row. I barely recovered from that.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:32 am

Yes, they are entirely random. Three in a row is just terribly bad luck. You can go an entire game, 30 or more years, without a single failed flood.

The only time I can think of when they weren't random was in Jimaaten's "Seven Fat Seven Lean" scenario where he coded 7 consecutive failed floods to parallel the story of Joseph and the Pharaoh.

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”