How do you know if you have enough ...

If you need any help, or want to discuss strategy, this is the place!
Nero Would

How do you know if you have enough ...

Postby Nero Would » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:39 am

I've only finished the first two tutorials, so I have a long way to go yet.

One thing the tutorials haven't helped with so far is how to decide when you need more of a particular type of building. In most cases, I assume you just wait until there is a shortage of whatever the building supplies. Then you have to check that the problem is truely a lack of supply (rather than that the people who need it can't afford it or don't have time to get it). Does that sound right?

I do have a couple of specific questions that seem to be more difficult to answer. First, how do I know if I have enough servants? If nobles or luxury shopkeepers are unhappy, that might be because they need servants to help them take care of their needs. But there are several other possible reasons.

Secondly, how do I know if my priests and scribes have enough papyrus. I have seen them go to the mill to buy papyrus, but clicking on their house doesn't seem to show if they have any.

angelisis

Postby angelisis » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:47 am

My veiw on servants is you can have them or not have them, sometimes I put them dowm just cause they are there and somethimes i just plain forget to use them....I do no think there is a ratio for servants to Luxery/nobles (but i am sure that someone will find out :D )....if i remember to use them I do lay them down with my Lux' shops cause they seem to help out with production...and then one to every two nobels homes :D , but thats just me and not the be all and end all :p

If you click on the preist or scribe they will show you how much papyrus they are carrying.

buckylarue

Postby buckylarue » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:48 am

One thing to look for is if a Noble man is out shopping for household goods; that's a sign his house is in need of a servant, so the servant and the Noble's wife can do all the shopping and the Noble can just go out and...be noble, I guess!

Bugsy

Postby Bugsy » Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:15 am

Nero Would wrote:

In most cases, I assume you just wait until there is a shortage of whatever the building supplies. Then you have to check that the problem is truely a lack of supply (rather than that the people who need it can't afford it or don't have time to get it). Does that sound right?

Right. The easy way to tell, is when a whole group of people is unhappy about the SAME thing. If it's a lack of goods, and you see, one has no pottery, but another does, but has no mats instead, you know your shops cannot keep up with current demand.

When it's religion, in the middle panel, Click the religious satisfaction line. It will highlight all the ones not satisfied. Then I usually check three or four, see which god the majority want, and then I check on my priest and temples, and add one if needed. It is usually because my city has grown, and so the needs of the people grew.

First, how do I know if I have enough servants? If nobles or luxury shopkeepers are unhappy, that might be because they need servants to help them take care of their needs. But there are several other possible reasons.

Click on the house of the noble or luxury shopkeeper you wonder about. Click on the child if the shop, and if the child is going to school, they have a servant. If the child is collecting materials, they do not have a servant. Check to see how much food they have, and how much of their good they have available to sell. If they seem to be well off, and have plenty of food, you know you need more servants.

For the noble, if the woman is shopping without some scruffy looking people following her, they need servants. In order to get your townhouses to evolve to greater ones, you must supply them with a lot more goods than she can carry alone back and forth in one day of shopping. She must have servants to help her keep the family well stocked in all it needs.

Secondly, how do I know if my priests and scribes have enough papyrus. I have seen them go to the mill to buy papyrus, but clicking on their house doesn't seem to show if they have any.

From what I can see they need 5-10 papyrus a day. Click on the bottom panel icon, the Resources panel. If you have at least 10 papyrus staying in there all the time, then you have enough. If you have none or only a few, then you may want to add another before adding another educated worker that needs it. You also may want excess in there to trade, depending on your trade partners.

Nero Would

Postby Nero Would » Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:33 am

Thanks Bugsy. That should be very useful advice. Unfortunately, it's getting late and I'll have to try it out tomorrow.

wodinoneeye

Postby wodinoneeye » Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:25 am

angelisis wrote:My veiw on servants is you can have them or not have them, sometimes I put them dowm just cause they are there and somethimes i just plain forget to use them....I do no think there is a ratio for servants to Luxery/nobles (but i am sure that someone will find out :D )....if i remember to use them I do lay them down with my Lux' shops cause they seem to help out with production...and then one to every two nobels homes :D , but thats just me and not the be all and end all :p

If you click on the preist or scribe they will show you how much papyrus they are carrying.

Shouldnt Nobles hire their own servants ??? Go out and find someone to become one?? Put word out of an opening to attract some peons from the countryside??? I thought these 'people' were supposed to be intelligent ....

Not enough papyrus ???
Shouldnt Pharaoh get a seasonal report of various shortages ???
Scribes are supposed to know how to write -- have them sent a complaint to Pharaoh's in-basket.... (unless there is a basket shortage)
Last edited by wodinoneeye on Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:30 am

wodinoneeye wrote:Shouldnt Nobles hire their own servants ???
I thought these 'people' were supposed to be intelligent ....

Not enough papyrus ???
Shouldnt Pharaoh get a seasonal report of various shortages ???
Scribes are supposed to know how to write -- have them sent a complaint to Pharaoh's in-basket.... (unless there is a basket shortage)

Nobles do hire their own servants, but only when Noble households have enough food in stock and if you designate servants' households. If there are no servants' households, then Nobles will go shopping on their own volition (not wait to have things delivered to them).

If you look at the resource report, you'll know exactly how much papyrus your papyrus mills have. Scribes and Priests seem to usually purchase 3 to 6 sheets of papyrus. I've noticed that a small town of 4 priests can be serviced by a single papyrus mill.

Lord Keida

Postby Lord Keida » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:54 pm

Servants give nobles the chance to party and visit thier dead relatives..

I go 1 servant for 3 LS and 1 servant for 2 nobles...and no problems...

Maatkaamun

Postby Maatkaamun » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:59 pm

As to papyrus, remember that priests and scribes don't *need* papyrus, but their work progresses faster if they have it...

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”