CotN... the EARLY game...

If you need any help, or want to discuss strategy, this is the place!
vic_4

Postby vic_4 » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:47 pm

the thing I some time do is to lay out immediatly at the beginning 10 townhouses, the set of farms (46) 3 common shops sets, one luxury shops set, one or two bricklayers, five brickmakers one bakery. As soon as the bakery is built I add the school, one priest, the apothecary, a second priest, three shrines, a mortuary, two granaries, five mastabas, an enterteiner and four or five servants. Then I continue to expand.

Maatkaamun

Postby Maatkaamun » Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:55 am

sitearm9 wrote:P.S. As soon as you get your first year or two run, would you post some more screenshots? I think you'll get some awesome views with that land rise built into your layout :D

Here they are. :D :D
I just finished Nubt this afternoon, after waiting for my tiny pyramid to finish.
If you want earlier pics (years 3-5, say), I can dig those up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wodinoneeye

Postby wodinoneeye » Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:16 am

Josh wrote:Okay I guess you could skip the "tech tree" and do something logical like... build a cult temple to osiris before you even have a population or food, you know, seeing as how such rediculous things limit the player and force them into unrealistic loopholes like Feeding your population.

Please Apparently this game didnt satisfy every one of your whims, but the game is Finished, the time for imput has passed, now its time to swap strategies and save games. All i'm asking is that you TRY IT before trying to knock it endlessly in every forum. Once you do I think you should re-read everything you have written the past few days, feel very silly and blush. :o

So sorry you are so closed to ideas. I'll let you get back to your mechanical
loopholing and beancounting.

wodinoneeye

Postby wodinoneeye » Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:20 am

sitearm9 wrote:WodinOneEye: You have got great ideas for new games but PLEASE post these general discussions in the general discussion threads. The help & strategy threads are for help & strategy playing the game as is. At least, that is what I'm reading them for! :rolleyes:

Sorry for trying to explain and illustrate my points.

sitearm

Postby sitearm » Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:20 am

Maatkaamun: These shots are gorgeous! The two-tiers of the city are kewl! You have a really nice eye with the people against the background shots! (woman with sphinxes and pyramid; scribe with stars at night; etc.)

Excellent and inspiring! :D

Maatkaamun wrote:Here they are. :D :D

I just finished Nubt this afternoon, after waiting for my tiny pyramid to finish.
If you want earlier pics (years 3-5, say), I can dig those up.
Last edited by sitearm on Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hyjynx

Postby Hyjynx » Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:24 am

wodinoneeye wrote:So sorry you are so closed to ideas. I'll let you get back to your mechanical
loopholing and beancounting.

Wodinoneeye... now it just sounds like you are trolling just for the joy of getting a response. I read every one of your comments, actually agreed that some of your suggestions make great arguments, as well as some of your ideas would be great for developing a new game.

Development of COTN is over. The game has gone to press, released, and pepople who actually bought the game are loving it. You want to debate, then got to the Gen. Discussion forum and debate. This is the Help forum and you aren't helping anyone.

Not that my opinion matters in the slightest to anyone but myself... but I am through with reading posts by you.

Be kind.... Don't feed the Trolls.

sitearm

Postby sitearm » Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:25 am

Imhotep3147: It wuz' me! Pretty please will you post some screenshots of your natural (or UNnatural :D ) looking layouts?

* remembers old saying: "a picture's worth a thousand words" *
imhotep3147 wrote:....but for whoever mentioned about the layouts looking all rectangular and unnatural I definantly agree....that's why I layed out one whole city with the buildings cocked at opposing 45 degree angles...

imhotep3147

Postby imhotep3147 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:40 pm

I'll make a completely non linear city just for you :D .

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:19 pm

I might start one of these too, just to look at it and post some screenshots.

More later...
sitearm9 wrote:...Pretty please will you post some screenshots of your natural (or UNnatural :D ) looking layouts?...

betti

screenshots

Postby betti » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:28 am

based upon Maatkaamun's layouts, it looks like you do not need every building facing a road. is this true? or am I not seeing this correctly?
I grow my city, trying to place my nobles in one place and my commoners in another. but it seems awkward to me. those screenshots of Maatkaamun's are really neat.
Chinmom/betti ;)

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:32 am

Truth be told, you don't even need roads.

Maatkaamun

Postby Maatkaamun » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:34 am

sitearm9 wrote:Maatkaamun: These shots are gorgeous! The two-tiers of the city are kewl! You have a really nice eye with the people against the background shots! (woman with sphinxes and pyramid; scribe with stars at night; etc.)

Excellent and inspiring! :D

Thanks! That's one of the great joys of CotN. Make a city. Take pictures. Make a new desktop background every day. :D :D

Now, let's see one of *your* cities. :p

Maatkaamun

Postby Maatkaamun » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:38 am

betti wrote:based upon Maatkaamun's layouts, it looks like you do not need every building facing a road. is this true? or am I not seeing this correctly?
I grow my city, trying to place my nobles in one place and my commoners in another. but it seems awkward to me. those screenshots of Maatkaamun's are really neat.
Chinmom/betti ;)

As Kieth says. However, you *should* have at least one (pref the front?) door facing an open space at least. Otherwise your people have issues. You may be noticing that some buildings have more than one door. (Priest's house, apothecary, etc). All my buildings face the road.

There's really no reason why you can't have every building intermixed. It's just my playing style that keeps everyone where I want them. I'm a control freak when I get in front of a CB. :p

BTW, Thanks! :D
Pracitce, practice, practice.

vic_4

Postby vic_4 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:57 pm

streets are useful however, you can put buildings close to each other, but you must be careful toleave the front clear. Street are very useful to avoid mistakes.

ramuhotep

Postby ramuhotep » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:42 pm

vic_4 wrote:streets are useful however, you can put buildings close to each other, but you must be careful to leave the front clear. Streets are very useful to avoid mistakes.

Not just the front. Some houses have front and back doors which people like to use. Surrounding every* building with a blank tile is one way to prevent this. But putting roads/paths instead of blank tiles helps the player remember not to build there.

-- Ray

* well, not every building. Careful observation will tell you which ones you have to seperate.

Maatkaamun

Postby Maatkaamun » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:51 pm

ramuhotep wrote:Not just the front. Some houses have front and back doors which people like to use. Surrounding every* building with a blank tile is one way to prevent this. But putting roads/paths instead of blank tiles helps the player remember not to build there.

However, I never surround any single building, always building in compact blocks, and have never had a problem. People seem to be able to use their back doors without getting stuck. ymmv

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”