Oh where are the Cedar trees?

If you need any help, or want to discuss strategy, this is the place!
PriestessofAmun

Oh where are the Cedar trees?

Postby PriestessofAmun » Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:49 pm

Hello everyone,
I've been building a city to the point that I would like to dedicate a regular temple aswell as a Cult temple. I'm playing the scenario called "Daughter of Isis" sandbox map. In this map my basalt quarry is on the other side of the Nile river and I have already quarried 3 dozen or so small basalt statues, I have a dock on both sides of the river, a shipyard to build ships but alas no cedar. I have opened up several trade routes with other neighboring cities some of which have even exported the "small" statues to my city drop off sites, but I cannot view the whole of Egypt all the way to the mediterranean sea, therefore no Lebanon. Is there some way to zoom out on the world view map? or perhaps I have to conquer my whole end of upper egypt before I can see lower egypt? Also no matter what I do, I cannot get my overseers (who do go to the temple dedication) to get my laborers to haul even the statues at the drop off site. I have no reserves on basalt, nor do I export it.

two other issues,

1. my workers will not quarry large statues for the cult temple, but I'm guessing the cult temple may not be dedicated without a regular temple first being dedicated?
2. the most perplexing one, I have told my two overseerers to "quit overseeing" or "do nothing" and instead of finding food items etc, my laborers all go to quarry limestone. I have no reserve set for limestone, no projects needing limestone (as I have just finished my small pyramid) and I do not export limestone in trade for anything, so what in the world would compel them to go quarry limestone without direction and not to mention, while I'm throwing a great Shemu party!

thank you!

p.s. this has to be the most extraordinary game I've ever played!

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:06 pm

The "Daughter of Isis" is similar to the "Son of Ra" map. There are two Basalt Quarries. I noticed that one of the quarries will produce small statues (and nothing but small statues), but the other one will produce BOTH small statues and large statues. Very odd. Just set down the platform for a Large Statue and build another overseer towards the other unused Basalt Quarry. You'll see them gradually harvest some Large Statues. This could either be a bug or a feature. If it is a "feature", it would be nice if the developers labeled which quarry is which. :)

As for laborers continuing to work, it seems that laborers "remember" their jobs so even if the Overseer goes home, the laborers my continue to work for a short while.

The World Map in this scenario is also limited only to Upper Egypt, so you won't be able to get any cedar.

sitearm

Postby sitearm » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:20 pm

PriestessofAmun: Have you tried opening the cult centers or conquering the fortress? They look suspicious to me :D

In one sandbox scenario I played they made cedar really really REALLY hard to get... had to trade this for that for the other thing and in the end I relocated my construction site :eek:

I have not played Daughter of Isis scenario but it looks kewl! Glad you're havin' fun :)

PriestessofAmun wrote:I have a dock on both sides of the river, a shipyard to build ships but alas no cedar. I have opened up several trade routes with other neighboring cities some of which have even exported the "small" statues to my city drop off sites, but I cannot view the whole of Egypt all the way to the mediterranean sea, therefore no Lebanon.

thank you!

p.s. this has to be the most extraordinary game I've ever played!

PriestessofAmun

found some cedar! dedicated the regular temple!

Postby PriestessofAmun » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:00 pm

I did lots more exploring and opening trade routes "up the Nile" as the scenario hint suggested, somehow it revealed a "forest" in a hidden region called Sai. So now I'm able to import cedar for bread. This allowed me to build a barge to carry over a small statue and dedicate my regular sized temple. I shall have to look for the second basalt quarry now. They still won't mine anything but little ones at the one I'm at. I wish all the little cities were revealed but I s'pose that makes you work that much harder for your cedar.

p.s. they're still obsessed with their limestone blocks!

sitearm

Postby sitearm » Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:53 am

Wayta' go! :D

PriestessofAmun wrote:I did lots more exploring and opening trade routes... it revealed a "forest" in a hidden region called Sai.... So now I'm able to import cedar...

Maatkaamun

Postby Maatkaamun » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:43 am

PriestessofAmun wrote:two other issues,

1. my workers will not quarry large statues for the cult temple, but I'm guessing the cult temple may not be dedicated without a regular temple first being dedicated?

2. the most perplexing one, I have told my two overseerers to "quit overseeing" or "do nothing" and instead of finding food items etc, my laborers all go to quarry limestone. I have no reserve set for limestone, no projects needing limestone (as I have just finished my small pyramid) and I do not export limestone in trade for anything, so what in the world would compel them to go quarry limestone without direction and not to mention, while I'm throwing a great Shemu party!

I don't see these answered yet, so here goes.

1. Either temple can be dedicated independantly. I regularly do a cult temple before a regular temple.

2. If your laborers had cut but not removed limestone, they will remove limestone from the quarry without an overseer.

BTW, welcome! :D

PriestessofAmun

oooh limestone!

Postby PriestessofAmun » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:22 pm

thank you everyone, I think that just about resolved all my problems, for some reason the overseerer would keep going to the wrong quarry, unless I moved his home all the way up to the new quarry, which I quickly found out I should have had laborers living there with a little town before he arrived, he became very unhappy with me living up there by himself! As for the limestone, you were absolutely correct, I had them quarry far too much limestone for the small pyramid project and had forgotten that at one time I had been trading bread for limestone and fine limestone,(even though I canceled trade relations with the foreign quarry). However, there was a stockpile of limestone and finelimestone in town near the exchange and it appears that the little laborers, when they didn't have anything else to do, would begin hauling the quarried limestone back to the drop site in town!

Thank you so much! :p

sitearm

Postby sitearm » Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:53 pm

PriestessofAmun: Outstanding!

Would you take and post some screenshots?

<Shift><F9> will store .jpg shots in C:\Program Files\Tilted Mill\Children of the Nile\snapshots

Can either post them here in this thread (use Manage Attachments)

Or post them in UserSets, cool new feature, on the CotN main web site:
http://www.immortalcities.com/cotn/community/usersets.php

PriestessofAmun wrote:thank you everyone, I think that just about resolved all my problems...

PriestessofAmun

Here are some pictures of my little city!

Postby PriestessofAmun » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:52 pm

:rolleyes: thank you again for your help everyone!

This is my second attempt at building a city and with all your help I think I shall be able to start on a new and bigger city! I had no idea that all these little people would have so many children, I think I shall have to make room for atleast twice as many people as I had planned for :p
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Maatkaamun

Postby Maatkaamun » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:04 pm

Beautifully designed! Your architects are to be commended for realizing your grand vision in so competent a fashion. :D

One question: why make more room for the children? They don't move out and become vagrants... They just continue to help out on the farm/in the shop/etc... :confused:

sitearm

Postby sitearm » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:17 pm

I agree: excellent!

@Maatkaamun: I think she means room for more noble houses maybe?

Maatkaamun wrote:Beautifully designed! Your architects are to be commended for realizing your grand vision in so competent a fashion. :D

One question: why make more room for the children? They don't move out and become vagrants... They just continue to help out on the farm/in the shop/etc... :confused:

David Beebe

Postby David Beebe » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:41 pm

Very nice!
And so many shrines to all the gods!

Return to “Game Help &amp; Strategy”