A genreal question

If you need any help, or want to discuss strategy, this is the place!
AMero1202

A genreal question

Postby AMero1202 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:14 pm

So far soo good with the game. I haveing problems with my shops making goods.

Its seems like there geting enough resources but it ethier says there is none to sell or a few. My farmers are like what the hell we need more stuff and im like wtf there not making enough.. is there like a ratio on how many shops 2 houses?

And another question. Whats a good strag. on provoiding medical? Will the poor and the rich walk alittle ways to get coverage or should i build both buildings in the Elite and Poor section? Same with religion should i just make a medical and Relgion center?

Thanks ahead of time.... :rolleyes:

Maatkaamun

Postby Maatkaamun » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:59 pm

Welcome! :D

AMero1202 wrote:So far soo good with the game. I haveing problems with my shops making goods. Its seems like there geting enough resources but it ethier says there is none to sell or a few. My farmers are like what the hell we need more stuff and im like wtf there not making enough.. is there like a ratio on how many shops 2 houses?

There could be a few things going on here. Either you have too few shops (I usually have, oh, maybe one set of common shops per 30 farmers or so--not hard numbers, I do it completely by feel) and so need to add a few more shops so they don't run out of goods; Or, your shopkeepers have too many other things to do (including walking long distances), so they can't spend enough time making goods. This is where city design comes into play (which varies from player to player).

AMero1202 wrote:And another question. Whats a good strag. on provoiding medical? Will the poor and the rich walk alittle ways to get coverage or should i build both buildings in the Elite and Poor section? Same with religion should i just make a medical and Relgion center?

This thread has pics of my standard beginning design (adjusted for terrain), labled, and pics of my finished city, unlabled. http://www.tiltedmill.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4097
Figure out a way that works for you, but you can look at how I do things, if it helps. ;)

To answer your question, people do things differently, but for *my* cities, I always build one (and only one) hospital and one apothecary between my nobles and my farmers, maybe a little closer to my brickmakers/laborers/soldiers (since they visit more fequently), and staffed by one priest in the early game and two later on. As to religion, All of my religion is in one place, also between my nobles and farmers, staffed by 2-3 priests by the end. People *will* walk for services, sometimes further than you want, thereby taking them away from the jobs they *should* be doing. :D

Hope this helps.

Mayati

Postby Mayati » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:04 pm

I've never seen an "official" ratio on shops to houses but it definately sounds as if you need to put out a few more shops. A manned (should that be scribed?) exchange might not be a bad idea either.

The rich and the poor will walk to get medical aid but remember if they have to walk too far then they may not have time to do other things you need them to be doing. So it would depend on how far apart your elite housing is from your peasant areas. If I have any concerns about the peasants I usually just give them an apothocary.

On gods some of them ... Horus and Isis for example... are very popular with the nobles so I put a shrine to each in their area .. also to Thoth if you have scribes living in the same area. Amun is popular with the peasants. Between them I usually put all the others in a lovely religon center.

Good luck!

Maatkaamun

Postby Maatkaamun » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:08 pm

Mayati wrote:A manned (should that be scribed?) exchange might not be a bad idea either.

Now, that's something I've never had cause to use. An exchange gives shopkeepers a central place to purchase from you mined and quarried luxuries, and I've never mined luxury resources on the other side of the map... :o

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:10 pm

Maatkaamun wrote:Now, that's something I've never had cause to use. An exchange gives shopkeepers a central place to purchase from you mined and quarried luxuries, and I've never mined luxury resources on the other side of the map... :o

Actually, once you get a huge sprawling metropolis (like the way my city is now :p ), you're really going to need that exchange. It also allows imported (not just mined) resources to be distributed as well.

Mayati

Postby Mayati » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:13 pm

Maatkaamun wrote:Now, that's something I've never had cause to use. An exchange gives shopkeepers a central place to purchase from you mined and quarried luxuries, and I've never mined luxury resources on the other side of the map... :o

It also keeps them from having to walk to cargo drop off points for imported items like cedar and basalt (if you're importing basalt of course).

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”