Some questions from a newbie

If you need any help, or want to discuss strategy, this is the place!
milton

Some questions from a newbie

Postby milton » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:36 am

So i did what most people would do : build a huge worshipping complex at the center of my city. The time is in the afternoon, when all priests have finished preparing the shrines and are moving to the temples (what is the point of building temples anyways, when you can build shrines? i build them because they look better) so i click on the 'statisfaction' tab and i see that some people are distasisifed with religion. When i clicked on it, to my horror SHOPS next to the SHRINE OF PTAH are screaming that they want to worship PTAH. no they're not busy. the man of the household is slouching in his chair doing nothing. Why is that? Also when the priest leaves the hospital at night, some people try to go in and when they get out they become disgruntled that healthcare is not available :mad:

one more question : How do you lay out your shops? i usually spread them out in ones next to my farms/noble complexes (i usually build nobles next to my palace all bunched up together) Also, IMO, You should be able to prod those stupid peeps protesting next to my Palace that you can now worship your dam god and healthcare is now available SO GO GET THEM AND STOP LOITERING AROUND IN THE STREETS! And you should be able to select whether you want yur people to get the services in the local area or the whole map. this is useful when trying to build a 2nd city in the map, as i've seen farmers piligrim all the way across the map to my old city to worship something, my bricklayers going there to build so they ignore my existing projects in their area for one day and hordes of people going to the threshing area for food (in which theres only one...)

sitearm

Postby sitearm » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:25 am

Milton: Welcome to... well... CotN... :p

One tip: Build common shops close to each other because they are households too and have to buy each other's wares... if the wives can just "go next door" for commodities, that gives them more time to MAKE stuff in their own homes... luxury shops will need access to common shops too...

Many more tips in these forums 'o' course, but there's one for you... :D

milton wrote:... one more question... How do you lay out your shops? i usually spread them out...

angelisis

Postby angelisis » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:37 am

here is my layout of shops and bakery's

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:41 am

I tend to build my common and luxury wares shops in groups, 4 common and 6 luxury. I think if you have them spread all over the place it just complicates keeping tabs on what people are doing or where they are going. This way they can get all their common wares in basically one trip, provided they have the food to trade for them.

As for complaints about the shop owners not being able to worship Ptah being right next to a temple to Ptah, I wouldn't worry about it. It's just probably a momentary situation where they were ready to worship but the priest didn't show up in time. Sooner or later they connect. As long as all my shrines (which is all I use) are working and have priests visiting them regularly I don't really worry about the occasional complaints.

I usually build shrines to all the gods and will have them staffed by at least two priests minimum, but most often I use three.
You are going to have various levels of disatisfaction in this game no matter what you do. You aren't going to get those 100% ratings like you used to get in the old games.

NanaBanana

Postby NanaBanana » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:06 pm

Generally what I look for is a central location for my all my shops and group them together. Then I try to build my city around them, trying to plan for centrally locating my religion and healthcare.

Shrines are good for quick fixes (kinda like a convenience store) but people want a temple with a priest in attendence conducting services too. I rarely build a cult temple unless it's a scenario goal but that's just me. Yeah, they look great, but they take up great amounts of space.

As for hubby slouching in his chair, and the house being upset about not being able to worship... maybe it's Mom who wanted to worship Bast for healthy children, but couldn't leave the shop when she wanted to worship because she was behind in her ware-making or she had to shop for much needed wares of her own. There are many variables in worshipping. Either they were too busy working, shopping or seeking healthcare, there wasn't a shrine or temple available to the god they wanted to worship, or maybe the priest had not opened said shrine or temple when they had time to go worship. Remember that by the time an icon shows up... it's already in the past.

I try to remember the old saying... You can please some of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time, but you can't please all the people all the time.

vic_4

Postby vic_4 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:58 pm

Also must be kept in mind that dissatisfaction icons indicate not somthing that is lacking now, but things that could not be achieved earlier. So one should check if the need is fulfilled now not try to solve the problem. If it is fulfilled, the red icon will eventually fade out but it takes some time.

Karter

Postby Karter » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:04 pm

Ummmm,

Other then a Cult Temple I have never built a temple LOL

I figure, why send a limo if a motorcycle does the job.

If people worship at a temple over a shrine do they stay content longer??

angelisis

Postby angelisis » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:58 am

Karter wrote:If people worship at a temple over a shrine do they stay content longer??

that is so.........BUT it is not as if you have to pick up the peeps one by one and drop them at their preffered place of worship, they do it for themselves. so if they are happier a day less with a shrine than they would be with a temple then what's the big deal? they just go to the shrine on their own anyways.
I hardly even notice it.
I do like to use a mix of temples and shrines but only for cosmetic reasons.
Last edited by angelisis on Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: had to add a but

milton

Postby milton » Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:50 am

Thanks guys!

angelisis: u heartless person...the bakeries and shops have nice hard plaza ground on their feet, and what do the servants get??? they are humans too!!!!

btw: i never bothered to decorate my city...u guys make me jealous :(

Raccoon_TOF

Postby Raccoon_TOF » Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:38 am

Some would argue that the hard plaza ground is far more unconfortable and annoying on the feet all day, and would rather have soft and comfortable grassland to walk on...why is angelisis torturing the poor shopkeepers so badly???

angelisis

Postby angelisis » Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:50 am

milton wrote:Thanks guys!

angelisis: u heartless person...the bakeries and shops have nice hard plaza ground on their feet, and what do the servants get??? they are humans too!!!!

btw: i never bothered to decorate my city...u guys make me jealous :(

just for you milton I will go and get the disk, stick it in the drive, load the game, click on LOAD SAVED GAME, wait for it to rev up, find the servants houses, place a lovely tile under there skanky shacks, save the game, then exit out....all that will take, what say? 20minutes of my time away from my children just so you feel better about the servants....ok then pet? feel better now?

p.s whilst i was doing this for you milton I noticed the monkey's havin some fun as the 2nd screeny will show....@TM we know the critters and peeps have there own AI but do you not think this is going a tad to far :p :D
Last edited by angelisis on Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:00 am

angelisis wrote: I noticed the monkey's havin some fun as the 2nd screeny will show....@TM we know the critters and peeps have there own AI but do you not think this is going a tad to far :p :D

What ever do you mean... :D They are building a monkey pyramid, of course, followed by a giant monkey jump. :) But nobody seems to bother to watch this show.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kiya on Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”