Duty Setting for Priests (and other educated)

If you need any help, or want to discuss strategy, this is the place!
Mentuemhat

Duty Setting for Priests (and other educated)

Postby Mentuemhat » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:52 am

My problem is usually that I've not enough prestige to maintain a great number of educated worker especially not in the beginning. Or I've spread out over the map and I don't want people go over the entire map to fulfill their needs. Let me explain with two examples:

I can maintain only 3 Priests, 1 for tending gods, 1 for heathcare, 1 for school and for funerary ??? :(

I have a separated farmer village. Farmers need some shrines and healthcare, but no school nor funerary. So I build a priest's home into the village to tend gods (open shrines) and to provide healthcare in a nearby hospital. But which job setting should I choose??? "All duties" means that he will leave the village to work in the funerary far away. :(

On my mind it would be necessary to be able to set job duties to one or more or all duties.

Raccoon_TOF

Postby Raccoon_TOF » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:06 pm

I've suggested in the past the possibility for "checkbox" style role selection for elites and some specialized non-elite government workers (most notably laborers). However, it can generally be worked around through proper placement of your city, camps, and elites in the first place. Another thing to remember is that more is not always better...location is often more important than quantity, especially when it comes to elites. Do a comparison with scribes assessing taxes sometime...a single scribe located directly at the end of a row of farmers can count between 75-100 farms in one season when supplied with a bakery, papyrus, and shopping all close by. OTOH, the same scribe located in the center of the city, instead of out with the farmers, will often only count 30-50 farms.

Mentuemhat

Postby Mentuemhat » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:40 pm

Checkbox style or Crlt-click as in windows would do it.

The other question is a question of city layout. Mayby in this point I differ from most of the CotN and CB players. Most cities I've seen on screenshots look like american cities with egyptian buildings. I cannot imagine that ancient people have build their cities this way. In general I suppose they have build where they wanted to. This brings you to a more european (medieval) style city layout.

When Pharaoh came out years ago, I didn't know anything about housing blocks though I'd played Caesar 3 before. All through the campaign I build cities fitting into the landscape, looking quite chaotic. After I had completed successfully which was very hard sometimes I learnt about housing blocks and became a rather efficient player, but lost a lot of fun.

CotN allows to play my style much more. There is no housing block necessary. I like the possibility to turn houses and to place them into different directions. My paths and roads are never used to plan a rectangular city. They are placed when houses are build not before and blocks are seldom rectangular. Maybe in a week or two I can send in some screenshots.

NanaBanana

Postby NanaBanana » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:45 pm

Mentuemhat wrote:I have a separated farmer village. Farmers need some shrines and healthcare, but no school nor funerary. So I build a priest's home into the village to tend gods (open shrines) and to provide healthcare in a nearby hospital. But which job setting should I choose??? "All duties" means that he will leave the village to work in the funerary far away. :(

Are you considering the needs of your priest in that remote village? He needs luxury items and bread as well as needing to attend the feasts thrown by the nobles in addition to common goods that should be available in your farming village.

On my mind it would be necessary to be able to set job duties to one or more or all duties.

One priest should always be set to educate only. Believe me that you will be happy you have all those graduates when your educated elite start retiring.

I set the second priest to all services then later switch him to healthcare and maybe toggle him to funerary as needed. My 3 priest is usually set to tending gods with lots of shrines. Work on building your prestige by building mastabas and small spinx. They may not provide much but any boost in prestige helps.

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:52 pm

Mentuemhat wrote:My problem is usually that I've not enough prestige to maintain a great number of educated worker especially not in the beginning. Or I've spread out over the map and I don't want people go over the entire map to fulfill their needs. Let me explain with two examples:

I can maintain only 3 Priests, 1 for tending gods, 1 for heathcare, 1 for school and for funerary ??? :(

I have a separated farmer village. Farmers need some shrines and healthcare, but no school nor funerary. So I build a priest's home into the village to tend gods (open shrines) and to provide healthcare in a nearby hospital. But which job setting should I choose??? "All duties" means that he will leave the village to work in the funerary far away. :(

Start building "them thar" mastabas ASAP. This will give you boost in prestige as soon as you get a few of them done (depending on the size you choose to build). I generally build small mastabas at first.

You are going to need bricks, lots of bricks. So at least 4-6 birckworks at first and at least 2-4 bricklayers.

You should also start adding enhancements to your palace at the same time.

Small and large sphinxes will also provide a boost.

Once you get trade routes open you can add other things like statues and pyramids to the mix.

Karter

Postby Karter » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:21 pm

I have found when working with the split village scenario that it is first important to establish your main village first. If the distance isnt to great ...

I try to just have common shops and a baker close, let your villagers go to the main city to seek services, instead of trying to provide local outlets.

Farmers and shop keepers are pretty resourceful when it comes to getting what they need.

But, if you do need to establish shrines etc, what I do is put in one priest set to provide all services in the remote village. Then I make sure a school, shrine, mortuary, and apothecary are all nearby. That keeps him busy and the priests from the main city will venture to assist him instead of the opposite.

I try not to split the village, since the only reason would be for resources, I try to establish more overseers in the main city, who's only task is to get a particular resource that is needed from far away.

In running through all of the scenarios I found it helpful only on 2 of the games to split my village up.

And as above brickworks and bricklayers are the key. At the very beginning, for just a Palace and 6 farms, I set up at least 4 brickworks and 3 bricklayers. I always try to have one more brickworks than bricklayers. Then add one of each for every 1-2 nobles upto 7 or 8 (brickworks) depending. Then build those tombs like crazy, if need be. I only build large mastabes, I found its worth the wait.

I also found, cant remember which (brickworks or bricklayers) provide students for educating

Plus lots of servants, if luxury shop keepers dont have some servants, it means their children have to help them instead of going to school. In a town with 6 nobles I usually end up with 18-20+ servants,12-16 common wares and 12-16 luxury shops.

Of course, I am no expert though.... :)
Last edited by Karter on Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vic_4

Postby vic_4 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:12 pm

I usually start with 5-10 brickmakers and 4-6 bricklayers and I also use quite a lot of servants. I seldom go over 6 luxury shops, at least till 12 nobles or if I have a labour camp. Imake very early a merchant center close to the nobles and try to open as many merchants as I can.

Honour_Shogun

Postby Honour_Shogun » Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:40 pm

But what if you have several split cities? I am playing Abu I believe it is, and have one city near the granite quarry, one on the island in the centre and then one on the farmland area. I am having severe trouble with keeping people healthy even though I have, in the current incarnation, 6 priests covering healthcare and 5 apothecaries and hospitals. And with the shopkeepers, they only get food from sales or from the threshing area as well? How many houses can a shopkeeper group cover? Because my common shopkeepers seem to be out all the time even though I have 20 of them in the different cities.

vic_4

Postby vic_4 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:29 pm

In Abu I tried to make different groups of brickmakers and bricklayers, but I did not like how it worked since bricklayers came any way from wherever, even from the farthest place. So I left a centralized brickworks and added few more bricklayers.

sitearm

Brickers, Areas, and Vectors... Oh my!...

Postby sitearm » Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:04 pm

For brickers (one bricker = one brickmaker + one bricklayer) I have found it helpful to place at least TWO, SEPARATE, LARGE (e.g., 4 or more brickers each) BRICKER AREAS, one on the LEFT and one on the RIGHT of my core city...

Why?
1. Because each bricker area will "vector in" on construction projects closest to it... making behavior SOMEWHAT more predictable...
2. Because they can be clustered near clay and rushes/papyrus for efficient manufacture
3. Because they can be placed alongside other craftsmen and/or laborers/soldiers and can share local support including common shops and bakeries.

If I make a remote work camp I'll add a THIRD , smaller BRICKER AREA (e.g., 2 or more) there for another "vector".

.......[color=orange]CORE CITY........[/color]
.......[color=orange]/.............\.......[/color]
[color=orange][4+]..................[/color][4+]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

....[color=orange]REMOTE....[/color]
........[color=orange]|.........[/color]
.......[color=orange][2+]........[/color]

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”