Whats a good build order?

If you need any help, or want to discuss strategy, this is the place!
Jimaaten

Postby Jimaaten » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:18 pm

MarkDuffy wrote:Image #2A ~ This scenario-maker made it very easy. Clay sprites are all over the place. However, once again, if you build too close to the floodplain, you can cover them up. This side of the Nile has 19 makers & 8 layers. Prestige was tough in this scenario & I had a lot of brick/basalt statues to build early.
Here's a little story about when I was designing that scenario and something I learned.

The first time I tested the scenario, I noticed that the brickmakers were taking a long time to make bricks. And considering that there were a lot of brick structures to build, I wondered what was causing it. I noticed that they were going for clay farther down the shore of the Nile and not to a closer area where I was sure I had placed some clay. What happened to the clay?

I soon figured out that I had "painted" over it when finishing up the map. A little explanation. You can turn your cursor into a "paint-brush" by clicking on certain sprite options in the editor and then drag down a group of palm trees for instance. I had used one that makes weeds near the shore. Apparently, running it over the grid where you've placed the clay sprite erases it. So, I added the clay back in and got a little carried away with my placement; 2 are good, 6 is better. :D (I also thought of Mark talking about building over them. So, I went overboard so that clay would always be readily available.) My next time through my brickmakers were making bricks at a much faster pace!

So, I've decided the very last thing I do from now on with the city level map will be to place the clay sprites.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:08 pm

MarkDuffy wrote:Image #2B ~ Remote brickmaking/labor camp to make the Pretty stuff to the upper right. It could have been done from my city on the other side of the Nile, but I wanted FAST (& still had villagers to burn). 12 makers & 8 layers here. Two clay sprites.

My brain hurts. This is a picture of MarkDuffy's, with some "pretty" in it...

:eek:

Added this post to useful forum threads.

Bowel_Infection

Postby Bowel_Infection » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:00 am

Hello everyone! Just stumbled upon this thread and was fascinated by all of the different responses for how cities are started. Lots of variety... and most of you have far more concrete answers - - especially once you're a couple of years into a scenario - - than I do... I seldom take the same path once the game has developed... but my first year is almost always the same.
Most of my building is covered by you guys, so It's not really worth going through it.

As for the posts above mine... one thing strikes me. It's the absence of servants VERY early in the game. I will build eight or ten servants at the same time I start my first farms.

Most scenarios start at 6am during the flood. By the time the planting season starts... you're hoping that you've got enough farmers to make you happy by the time harvest comes around.... especially since there's no way you've got a scribe counting for you yet, so....

With eight or ten servants here comes planting day. BANG! 6am comes and all my farmers head for the fields... NOW is the time to build... a bakery, brickmakers or bricklayers, Shops! Since the farmers are busy in the field (they won't leave once they're working!) the servants take all the open government or shopkeeper jobs. Since it's so early in the game servants have nothing better to do than pick dates and such because the nobles have no money and no items to shop for yet.

Now you've got your first shops and whatever else up and running... with a new set of servants moved in by the end of the planting day. At 6am on harvest day... BANG! There go the farmers again.... time to build again... and with the farmers working the whole time you've got your city started and a dang good first crop too!

Servants are easy to keep happy anyway... well, at least they don't get mad often... and with the high turnover early on they don't stay servants long enough to get mad! Always works out well for me!

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:56 am

You are dead-on correct, B_I. I do the same.

I tend to place palace, four our eight nobles (depending on scenario), enough plots for MAX FARMS, at least two sets of common shops, and one set of luxury shops, and then enough servants to cover each noble and luxury shop, right at the beginning of the game.

Then I get priests going, waiting for the farmers to get busy, and then bricks, papyrus, etcetera, then I modify as necessary.

I love that method, for growth, and it makes sure I don't upset the nobles, because I used to otherwise forget the servants EVERY time, and it also gives you more students, as the luxury shop's children go to school instead of gathering resources.

Jimaaten

Postby Jimaaten » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:46 pm

Bowel_Infection wrote:With eight or ten servants here comes planting day. BANG! 6am comes and all my farmers head for the fields... NOW is the time to build... a bakery, brickmakers or bricklayers, Shops! Since the farmers are busy in the field (they won't leave once they're working!) the servants take all the open government or shopkeeper jobs. Since it's so early in the game servants have nothing better to do than pick dates and such because the nobles have no money and no items to shop for yet.
I took me a while to figure out about using servants in the beginning of the game (I kept forgetting to add them period :o ), but I never thought to use them in this way. I just usually throw everything down and let it go until after the harvest is distributed. This method makes total sense. Thanks. I'll have to try this in my next game! (I've got some ideas kicking around in my head for a new scenario. There'll be lots of playtesting opportunities to try out the servant-build method. :D )

thegrad

Works great

Postby thegrad » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:37 pm

Jimaaten wrote:I took me a while to figure out about using servants in the beginning of the game (I kept forgetting to add them period :o ), but I never thought to use them in this way. I just usually throw everything down and let it go until after the harvest is distributed. This method makes total sense. Thanks. I'll have to try this in my next game! (I've got some ideas kicking around in my head for a new scenario. There'll be lots of playtesting opportunities to try out the servant-build method. :D )

I never used servant either, but tried it on my last game and it works great. From now on I will always start my games this way. Thanks BI great tip. :) :)

Bowel_Infection

Postby Bowel_Infection » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:47 am

No problem, people! I'm glad I can help. CotN is MY FAVORITE PC GAME ever! Yes, that's a bold statement, but a true one. I'll tire of it for a little while and then suddenly it's running through my blood again. So... to Jimaaten... I'll be looking out for your new scenario... one thing I don't do with the game.... create scenarios... so I'm extremely grateful to those of you who do. :)

Yebba

Postby Yebba » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:57 pm

My build order for me is
1. palace

2. place farmers as many as i can and one bricklayer and brick maker, with one bakery for the farmers.

3. At haverst time i then place 4 comm and 6 lux for farmers main City gets 8 common and 6 lux.

4.1 noble for the farmers and 5 to 10 brickmakers with 4 more bricklayers.

5. build 14 shrines and all medicail and schools for main city. and one hosptial and achprhey thingie ang shrine for for farmers. Court of law

6. next harvest season i build 4 more nobles and one priest for schooling and such. if more then one starting grad. i build a priest for the farmers as well. 4 bakers

7. 2 scribes and pap makers

8. pretty much any thing i need at that time at this point.

9. first picture i the the lay for my main city.

10. the picture of my farmer city.

11. front view of the main city.

12. Picture from the back view for the cult temple of the main city

13 yea i know i like to build slow :p
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Moseswannabe

Postby Moseswannabe » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:24 pm

I have seen with space and little pressure from enemies its possible to get away with things and build very quickly..since most structures requiring bricks dont really house anyone. getting another priest with a decent surplus of food for the routine famine seems in order..i put up shrines and hospital etc and mastabas first thing with just a few brickmakers...if i have to wait i wait..as long as the food is comming and students, health etc are coverd.

Kuplo

Postby Kuplo » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:29 pm

Wow a blast from the past, hard to believe I wrote the original post over 4 years ago. Harder still to believe that it's still hanging on and available and hasn't been archived or removed after all this time.

floridafairy

tomb for pharaoh

Postby floridafairy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:50 pm

Great suggestions all! For myself I have found one of the first things you want your bricklayers to build is a mastaba for pharaoh! If he dies and there is no tomb you get penalized big time in minus prestige points! This happened to me and it was terrible to have to eat like 35 minus points! Took a long time to recover from that one and I won't get caught like that again if I can help it...... From then on I make sure I have a mastaba waiting unless my pyramid is built - and I am always on the watch for need of a mastaba with the least warning! Just say'in

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:48 pm

Yep, you need a mastaba right away, as you found out. You never know when Pharaoh is going to "journey to the West." I had one Pharaoh die almost immediately once.

If you setup about 8-10 brick makers, and at least 3-4 bricklayers right away that would be a good idea. You want them to get started on making lots of bricks to get your city built and prestige levels up.

Place a brickyard near each "project" requiring bricks, and only do one project at a time. Brick layers will always go to the closest project first, so don't start one far away and then place a new one closer in because the bricklayers will bring all their bricks to the new closer one until that has all the bricks it needs.

The days tally of new bricks are placed in the brickyard about 3:30pm game time each day.

Also, if you want to move a brickyard and it's bricks, build the new brickyard where you want it first. Then delete the old brickyard and the bricks that were in it will appear in the new brickyard you just made.

floridafairy

build order

Postby floridafairy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:18 am

I am using this order more or less:

Palace
Small Masteba for pharaoh (don't want to get caught without some kind of burial place for a pharaoh in case he dies suddenly)
2 brick makers
3 brick layers
priest dedicated to education (you want to get graduates ASAP)
school
common shops
luxury shops
Scribe for taxes
Court of Law
If you have raiders coming build your city commander and 5 city guard tents
Priest - dedicated at first to all jobs
Large masteba for Pharaoh (can dedicate the small one now to royals only after this large masteba is built)
Apothecary
Shrine (gradually building all the gods shrines works really well to keep the general population happy)
Priest dedicated to tending the gods

When you build up an army, be sure and provide them with their own resources; common shops, bakery, hospital, medical priest, apothecary. Make these as close to them as you can.

Build up the rest gradually and give the farmers and everyone else time to have children and get some educated people in the population

(by the way, I discovered that the solders are "free". They are not harvested from the villagers - they come from outside your city)

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:54 am

I'd go with more brick makers otherwise you will be waiting forever to complete buildings and statues, etc. Some objects on the world map will require bricks sent as well.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:44 pm

I agree with Keith. Especially if you plan to build mastabas from the beginning (I wait a couple of years), I would start with at least 8 brickmakers. I always start with 8 and work my way up to either 20 or 24, with 1 bricklayer for every 2 brickmakers.

I am reminded of something Tinkerbell always used to say; CotN is about FOOD. That is the driving force of the entire nome.

But to process food effectively, you need a lot of bricks. You will need them to build the graduate homes you are planning, you need them for burial sites, you need them desperately for early prestige, and you need them for all your service buildings.

Within 2 years I always have at least 16 brickmakers running, and I never have a brick surplus until about 8 years into a scenario, once everything is built.

Those brickmakers are the foundation upon which everything else is built. If you start with bricks and food, and one priest to teach other graduates, the game is much easier to handle.

Flammehav

Postby Flammehav » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:23 pm

I start with the palace and 4 noble houses. The noble houses will usually not fill before the flood is good ad well over and we're far into Peret, but I will still build all the 22 farmhouses they can handle. I will then place a bricklayer and a bakery ready for the first harvest. As soon as the first meager harvest is in i place one set of common shopkeepers in the farmer area and one in the nobles area, I also place one set of luxury shopkeepers. At the same time I also place 8-12 brick makers ad start to build a priest apartment and a school as fast as possible.

When all those houses are closed to filling I add a few more bricklayers having 4-6 inn total. Sometimes I also add 4-5 servant shacks, but not so important, as the nobles have very little money at first. My bricklayers and brick makers go hard to work, to upgrade my palace, then a small mastaba for Pharaoh only, just in case he dies early on.

The next bricks go to building shrines, hospital and apothecary, and more priest buildings to staff these as I get more educated workers. Also build a mortuary and court of law and a gardener. Somewhere in between I place a second bakery for priests and granaries if needed. One or two entertainers is also needed. From there on it's more shrines,perhaps a few extra nobles, 1-2 extra bakeries and 6-10 papyrus makers.

Remember to add more farmers as the nobles allows and another set of common shops now and then. Depending on distance to goods, I generally place 1 set pr 15-20 farmers/government workers(not elite workers), and maybe one set for every 7-10 nobles/elite workers. Luxury shops can serve many more, probably at least 20 nobles/elite workers, maybe a lot more if they get help from luxury goods imported from other places. I seldom have more than 2 sets of luxury goods in my cities.

Once you have all that in places is all about tweaking a bit here and there as you open sites, building pyramids and battle raiders.

Egyptian Fanatic

Postby Egyptian Fanatic » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:41 am

Here's my starting order:

Palace and 6 Farmhouses
After harvest I build 4 Common Shops
Once everyone is satisfied with their household goods, I build 2 Townhouses and 8 more Farmhouses
After harvest I build 6 Luxury Shops
After harvest I build 4 Brickmakers and 3 Bricklayers and 2 Bakeries
4 Papyrus Makers come next, and then I build my first Priest Apartment
Once the Priest has finished his shopping, I build the School
When I get another graduate, I build 4 Shrines
When the next Priest comes along, I build an Apothecary, and for the 4th Priest I build the Mortuary.

Once my social services are up and running, I start building Mastabas, and I also add one more set of Common Shops

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:27 am

You would get on faster if you started with 4 nobles as well as the palace and as many farms as you can place, and some brickmakers as well. Don't forget the bakeries

There used to be a regular poster here who had the motto:
CotN = Bricks + Bread

He was right.

Egyptian Fanatic

Postby Egyptian Fanatic » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:03 am

"Herodotus" wrote:You would get on faster if you started with 4 nobles as well as the palace and as many farms as you can place, and some brickmakers as well. Don't forget the bakeries

There used to be a regular poster here who had the motto:
CotN = Bricks + Bread

He was right.

Herodotus, I don't know if your post was meant for me, but if it was, thanks for the tips :)

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”