Confused which DirectX upgrade really needed

For any technical or performance issues
Spirit of Bastet

Confused which DirectX upgrade really needed

Postby Spirit of Bastet » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:03 am

According to the CotN: Enhanced Edition Patch page, need to have...
Note: Children of the Nile: Enhanced Edition requires a DirectX 9.0c redistributable from April 2006 or later.

...however, I have applied the v1.3 patch to my installation of CotN, and am now getting the "cannot find d3dx9_33.dll" error, even though I have the DirectX August 2006 redistributable version currently installed!??

Have re-ran directx_aug2006_redist.exe, even checked the C:\WINDOWS\DirectX.log file to ensure it worked ok (as expected just concluded no files changed). As mentioned in the Known issues in the Enhanced Edition thread, could upgrade to the June 2008 version of DX, but am reluctant as Microsoft have a long history of so-called updates actually breaking more things than fixing (and all my other programs are working perfectly as is).

Am left wondering if the stated requirement of needing "April 2006 or later" version of DX is correct? Perhaps it does need to be a later version?

:confused:
Last edited by Spirit of Bastet on Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Highlighting seeming being overlooked comment

Davus Antonius

Postby Davus Antonius » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:51 am

Read this post. Gives a download link for the latest DirectX 9.0C.

http://www.tiltedmill.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=193788

Edit: Err... just realized that your post mentions the above topic. But do follow that link in there to download the latest version of DirectX 9.0c (June 2008). That does include the missing dll file that the enhanced version is looking for.
Last edited by Davus Antonius on Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spirit of Bastet

Postby Spirit of Bastet » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:06 am

"Davus Antonius" wrote:Edit: Err... just realized that your post mentions the above topic. But do follow that link in there to download the latest version of DirectX 9.0c (June 2008). That does include the missing dll file that the enhanced version is looking for.

hehe, was wondering how long it would take for you to see that. :p

As mentioned, am reluctant to do the "big leap" upgrade since comes with the risk of breaking more things than fixing, and currently all my other programs are working perfectly right at the moment (if it ain't broke....). The point I was drawing attention to is that the patch page says need "April 2006 or later", but CotN now fails after patching even though I have a August 2006 release of DX installed.

That's the confusing part.

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:15 am

Get the latest version of DX9.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=822640AB-0983-4C41-9C70-632F6F42C557&displaylang=en

It has the file that you are getting the error message about.

DX9 is updated periodically by Microsoft so it doesn't hurt to keep that updated from time to time.

Spirit of Bastet

Postby Spirit of Bastet » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:18 am

<sigh> I will say this once again...

The point I am trying to make here is that the patch page says need "April 2006 or later", but CotN now fails after patching even though I have a August 2006 release of DX installed.

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:21 am

Yes, I understand that, but to avoid confusion for other readers, I'm just saying they should just update to the latest DirectX version.

Spirit of Bastet

Postby Spirit of Bastet » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:25 am

"Keith" wrote:Yes, I understand that, but to avoid confusion for other readers, I'm just saying they should just update to the latest DirectX version.

However, this does not address the question about why the patch page says need only have April 2006 or later of DX installed, when I have August 2006 install and it's failing. ie, I was trying to draw attention to the fact that this "April 2006 or later" statement might not be correct.

Khanon

Postby Khanon » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:37 pm

Just out of curiosity, why would you purposely install the oldest possible DX9 version that they list instead of just the newest one...?

Spirit of Bastet

Postby Spirit of Bastet » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:52 am

Not so much a case of going out of my way to install an older version, but rather; is the version that is already installed. The patch page says need only April 2006 or later, I have August 2006 (so that qualifies as "later"). It's not working, so have questioned if the "need April 2006 or later" statement is correct.

Why not updating, have already covered that above, the point of this thread, is about why say "need April 2006 or later", when have evidence that it is an incorrect statement, ie, was intending to get feedback to/from TM to perhaps sort out what is the correct "oldest" version of DX. That seems to have been largely lost because ppl are just jumping straight to the "install latest" reply without fully reading the content of message.

:(

vic_4

Postby vic_4 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:07 am

A possibility is that video drivers are different from the ones of 2006 and are optimized for newer Dx, so with older create problems in COTN.

Pontius Pilatus

Postby Pontius Pilatus » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:55 pm

That doesn't apply here. He gets the d3dx9_33.dll error. So a dxfile is missing, not a hardware drivers issue. I think he has a valid point here.

Pontius Pilatus

Tested the CotN1.3 and think itself removes d3dx9_33.dll

Postby Pontius Pilatus » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:47 pm

I think it doesn't matter what version you have of DirectX prior to installing Cotn 1.3. Today I reinstalled it and had to do the DXupdate again to make it work. Bwwrrrrr. Let's await another update, 1.3 stinks.

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:05 pm

I had the same problem with the missing d3dx9_33.dll after installing the patch. Just installed DirectX again and no futher problems. Just curious, do you have US or UK version of program?

Pontius Pilatus

He doesn't care about that, he wants to know why his dx needs updating.

Postby Pontius Pilatus » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:12 pm

I don't think that matters to the poster of this thread. He just wants to know why his directx was not compatible, though the info told his was a valid version and should work without an update to the last available.

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:39 pm

So I can't be curious? I think I'll let the poster decide if he wants to answer!
Last edited by tomnobles on Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Will Jennings

Postby Will Jennings » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:51 pm

"Spirit of Bastet" wrote:However, this does not address the question about why the patch page says need only have April 2006 or later of DX installed, when I have August 2006 install and it's failing. ie, I was trying to draw attention to the fact that this "April 2006 or later" statement might not be correct.

Thanks for pointing this out; it's a typo. Should say April 2007. I'll ask Reed to update the page.

Will Jennings

Postby Will Jennings » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:58 pm

"Pontius Pilatus" wrote:I think it doesn't matter what version you have of DirectX prior to installing Cotn 1.3. Today I reinstalled it and had to do the DXupdate again to make it work. Bwwrrrrr. Let's await another update, 1.3 stinks.

I'm not sure what might have happened in this case, but I can be certain that patching doesn't remove any DirectX-related files.

Spirit of Bastet

Postby Spirit of Bastet » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:45 am

"Will Jennings" wrote:
Spirit of Bastet wrote:However, this does not address the question about why the patch page says need only have April 2006 or later of DX installed, when I have August 2006 install and it's failing. ie, I was trying to draw attention to the fact that this "April 2006 or later" statement might not be correct.
Thanks for pointing this out; it's a typo. Should say April 2007. I'll ask Reed to update the page.

Excellent, so relieved you were able to get to the bottom of this Will, and pleased that I was able to help.

:)

Spirit of Bastet

Postby Spirit of Bastet » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:53 am

"tomnobles" wrote:I had the same problem with the missing d3dx9_33.dll after installing the patch. Just installed DirectX again and no futher problems. Just curious, do you have US or UK version of program?

I have a v1.0 US version of CotN, patched to v1.2, and then to v1.3. As has just been pointed out (see posting above), v1.3 needs a version of DirectX dated April 2007 or later, so am going to need to update my DX (and would assume that was going to be the case whether I had the UK or US version). So, like you, once update to latest DX, expect will have same result (ie, no more missing DLLs).

:)

Spirit of Bastet

Postby Spirit of Bastet » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:12 am

"Spirit of Bastet" wrote:I have a v1.0 US version of CotN, patched to v1.2, and then to v1.3. As has just been pointed out (see posting above), v1.3 needs a version of DirectX dated April 2007 or later, so am going to need to update my DX (and would assume that was going to be the case whether I had the UK or US version). So, like you, once update to latest DX, expect will have same result (ie, no more missing DLLs).

Ok, for anyone watching this topic, thought I should post a final update:

Being the cautious cat that I am, decided to do a complete disk image backup first (as said before, have had grief from Microsoft's "updates" in the past, WinXP SP2 comes readily to mind). Some may consider this a tad extreme, but rather be safe than sorry. :p

Then went ahead and install the June 2008 DirectX update, and then proceeded to test all the DX-using applications on this system that has CotN installed on it, and am happy to report everything is working, no dramas, problems or issues (or missing DLLs, yay!!). :eek:

CotN is now running happily and gotta say, am loving Brickyards!! :D

Return to “Technical Support”