Game Shutting down

For any technical or performance issues
Acu-Ra

Game Shutting down

Postby Acu-Ra » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:59 pm

I was playing a nice game. I have the city all set, then AppCrash. I’m like ok well it just saved so I’ll resume. Than it crashes at the same time as before. I tried several times, it crashes about one minute after the last game same…every time. I even tried doing something a little with the city building, same thing. It is at a great spot in the game where I’m doing really well (and building lots of pyramids…soon to build the great pyramid) and makes me mad! How can I be certain it will not do that again if I start all over? I tried running the game in compatibility mode for XP and 2000 (I am currently using VISTA). I tried turning off multi-core cpu in the BIOS. Still no solution.

Now this issue has occured on two different systems. One running an Intel QX9650 and one running an Athlon FX-62. I found that the system would bluescreen error. After turning off multiple core CPU, it would no longer bluescreen, but would now simply AppCrash "stop working" as Windows would call it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Manni

Postby Manni » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:19 pm

Looks like too many programms running at system start by seeing your Page File: 1788MB used

check your startprogs

Acu-Ra

Start progs

Postby Acu-Ra » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:35 pm

As a systems engineer I run and write many apps. No other programs have issues like such.

Acu-Ra

Issue

Postby Acu-Ra » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:40 pm

Issue began when I upgraded from a P4 "Williamette" where everything on my system at least was excellent. I regularly fine tune my environment and background processes. At first I was using the box version 1.2...then I had to buy it again because I seemed to have misplaced the CD. Same issue with SEGA version 1.2. As I go through my stuff regularly, I will probably find the box CD again.

Acu-Ra

Background events

Postby Acu-Ra » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:56 pm

My virus scanner and outlook run in the background...they seem to run fine during gameplay with no issues. Skype and others do not really do anything except wait for an event, during game play I have yet to get a skype call or other activating event. No other application seems to have an issue with the windows sidebar gadgets or anything...

Acu-Ra

background and environment

Postby Acu-Ra » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:16 pm

I tried closing as many background events as I could. Disconnected all the USB items (except my optical CD/DVD drive). Same issue. I have included another DXDIAGS report. The page file is set to windows management and is typically that large even though I have 4GB of memory (3GB usable).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Acu-Ra on Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Acu-Ra

Postby Acu-Ra » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:27 pm

Funny thing is, just before it happens, sometimes I notice that little "servants", "laborers" and I'm not sure but I think panhandlers are running out of the palace with a bunch of stuff....just kidding.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:28 pm

Often, cities crash if you build too many plazas. Did you by any chance underlay your buildings with plazas?

Acu-Ra

Postby Acu-Ra » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:15 am

Yes, I always underlay the nobles buildings with plazas...not the others though.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:49 am

Thought so. Delete them and see if it still crashes ;)

speysider
Location: Migdol, Osiriskai: Maritis, Sethat-ib: Qadesh, Rasuten

Postby speysider » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:51 pm

This happened to me. TIP: DON'T BUILD ANY PLAZAS!!! The game just crashes straight away. It's probably crashing as soon as the saved game is loaded up that has the plazas. I have no idea why building a plaza crashes it, but it does. That's the only advice I can give.

I am not a spokesperson for TM and thus my instructions should be taken as arrogant posturing and not be considered authoritative or informative.
Last edited by speysider on Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tobing

Postby tobing » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:01 pm

Acu-Ra, it might be helpful for the TM staff to see the savegame that crashes for you. Would also be nice for others to be able to verify this. Tell us what version of CotN you play, is it with or without Alexandria? Is it patched to the enhanced version? Do you play the CD or download? Which?

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:42 pm

Spey, it's not crashing because of a single plaza, but it often crashes if you have very much plazas and especially underlaying buildings, because this confuses the pathing of the CotNizens. They think there are roads and get stuck at the structures, and this uses up very much ressources, so at some point, depending on your maschine, the game tends to crash.

Acu-Ra

Plazas

Postby Acu-Ra » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:09 pm

Ok, removing them did not solve it. It still crashed. However, I restarted the game. I built very little plazas at all. Especially not under any buildings. I instead used roads, and did not build them underneath any buildings. That game would go for hours without crashing. Then all of a sudden, I am building a small pyramid...poof crash. Ok so I restarted with thet last auto-save, and it continued without crashing. Now it will go for a while and suddenly crash, but not often. It is always restartable and will not crash again for quite a while. I would leave the game running just to check it. Sure enough it will still crash but it is livable. At least I can play it and reload it if it crashes then continue. Thanks. :D

It apparently was the plazas or the plazas under the buildings that made it worse. :eek:

Very odd, I should be able to build plazas.

Malandra

Postby Malandra » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:23 am

"Acu-Ra" wrote: Now it will go for a while and suddenly crash, but not often. It is always restartable and will not crash again for quite a while. I would leave the game running just to check it. Sure enough it will still crash but it is livable. At least I can play it and reload it if it crashes then continue. Thanks. :D

I have that problem too... the game randomly crashes for no apparent reason. I've had it happen when I haven't built anything at all (like when I am sitting there with the game on pause trying to decide where to put stuff). Sometimes it happens three times in half an hour, others times it will go for hours without crashing. I have no idea why - so I just save frequently and try to ignore it!
________
Gang bang club
Last edited by Malandra on Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:53 am

Did you update your drivers and install the latest patch?
http://www.immortalcities.com/cotn/downloads/patch.php

Next thing you can try is to tune down the graphic options and see if it's more stable then.

Malandra

Postby Malandra » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:30 pm

I do have the latest patch and updated drivers. I have a pretty decent machine (quad core 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8800 GT), so I don't think it's a matter of it being overloaded by the graphics... particularly when I don't have anything built yet.
________
Herbal Vaporizers
Last edited by Malandra on Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Manni

Postby Manni » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:42 pm

Malandra............do attach your dxdiag-file!

what system has your pretty decent machine?

Malandra

Postby Malandra » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:48 pm

"Manni" wrote:Malandra............do attach your dxdiag-file!

what system has your pretty decent machine?

I wasn't really looking for help so much, but thanks for the offer. :) My dxdiag file is attached. I run Windows XP Pro, if you're asking what operating system I'm using.
________
BIG **** ****ING
Last edited by Malandra on Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Technical Support”