Game is crashing

For any technical or performance issues
Asterix~

Game is crashing

Postby Asterix~ » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:24 pm

Just got back into Cotn, playing through Nekhen, and suddenly the game crashes. I restart my computer and start playing again and almost immediately it crashes again. I try a third time, and it lets me play a little bit, but it always crashes after a minute or so. =| Help? My computer is fairly powerful so there should be no problem.

P.S. Randomly, 300th post
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mouse

Postby mouse » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:05 am

You are running a win 7 which is not a finished version of windows which can be the source of your problem. It could also be a hardware problem from overheating. The game was actually developed on win XP with a possibility of running on Vista. CotN was also designed to run DX 9c while win 7 is a DX 10 operating system. Games don't always port to new operating systems.

Asterix~

Postby Asterix~ » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:04 am

Well, according to Microsoft, Windows 7 is supposed to run everything Vista runs.

By the way, Win7 is done. The Microsoft "Yay we're finished!" party was a few weeks ago, they have no more control over the OS.

Anyway as Win7 was designed off Vista architecture, it should be able to run Cotn without a problem; still the DX10 might be an issue. Any other ideas?

mouse

Postby mouse » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:05 am

Do you have the RTM version of win 7? If not you don't have the final version of it. As I said running CotN on Vista was an if maybe some people could run it and some couldn't run it. The only thing I can see off hand that is the problem in files needed by the game are DX 9c because DX 10 is missing those files. It could be hardware issue like your video card overheating which would cause you system to crash.

Asterix~

Postby Asterix~ » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:26 pm

"mouse" wrote:Do you have the RTM version of win 7? If not you don't have the final version of it. As I said running CotN on Vista was an if maybe some people could run it and some couldn't run it. The only thing I can see off hand that is the problem in files needed by the game are DX 9c because DX 10 is missing those files. It could be hardware issue like your video card overheating which would cause you system to crash.

And I quote from my DxDiag:
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)

Return to “Technical Support”