Problem graphics in COTN (artefacts/flashes) - WinXP/FX5200

For any technical or performance issues
ankhtifi

Problem graphics in COTN (artefacts/flashes) - WinXP/FX5200

Postby ankhtifi » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:57 pm

Hi,

I've just put a clean install of WinXP with SP3 on my desktop, and reinstalled COTN, but now am having major problem with the graphics. The intro video seems to run smoothly but once I load a scenario and enter the game proper, the screen immediately had a host of flashing artefacts appear all over the screen very fast, even if there is no scrolling or zooming. After a minute or two the game crashes. There is no smearing at all.

The system has an Nvidia FX5200 AGP 128mb card (Creative Labs), and I've tried both old and new drivers from Nvidia and also reinstalling Directx 9.

If there is anything else I can post that would be of help in fixing this, please let me know. All help appreciated, as I really miss playing the game, very engrossing.

Might be of relevance, I had exactly the same problem in Google Earth when running in DirectX mode, but when switched to OpenGL mode, the problem dissappeared.

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:03 am

All I can really tell you to do is try different nVidia drivers. The problems you are having are related to either your video card or its drivers.

Look back through the old posts of about a year or two ago for threads talking about nVidia drivers. There should be some mentioned there that should work.

Homeworld'sa

Postby Homeworld'sa » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:30 pm

Like it's mentioned in the aforemented sticky (lol XD), post you DXDiag in a post and a good techy user will assist you more

ankhtifi

Postby ankhtifi » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:24 pm

Sorry, bit stupid of me not to check. Here are the DxDiag results. I have tried the old gfx card drivers I had been using under win2k but only made the issue worse, so have swapped back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rnett

Postby Rnett » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:31 pm

Check the nvidia site for updated drivers.

http://www.nvidia.com/page/home.html

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:56 pm

Yeah, you have to be sure that any driver you may use is certified for use with XP.

The most current WHQL'd driver for XP and a Series 5 FX card is 175.19.

You can get older drivers from their XP/2000 driver archive. Don't use any driver that is older than your current July, 2004 version 61.77 driver

When changing video drivers it is important to remove the old drivers and install the new drivers as per nVidia's instructions.

ankhtifi

Postby ankhtifi » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:55 pm

"Keith" wrote:Yeah, you have to be sure that any driver you may use is certified for use with XP.

The most current WHQL'd driver for XP and a Series 5 FX card is 175.19.

You can get older drivers from their XP/2000 driver archive. Don't use any driver that is older than your current July, 2004 version 61.77 driver

When changing video drivers it is important to remove the old drivers and install the new drivers as per nVidia's instructions.

I've removed the previous drivers through "add/remove programs" (as Nvdia suggest on their website) and installed the v175.19 drivers, but there is no improvement. This is a new version of results from dxdiag, as the system stands now. I hope some of you good Samaritans are feeling intelligent, because I'm completely stumped! I would just put the system back to win2k, but I have some XP specific software :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:07 pm

Have you tried lowering the graphic settings in the game to their lowest level?

If that works, then working with just one control at a time, raise it until you reach maximum or have a problem then back off and move on to the next control setting, etc.

You can try some of the older archive drivers like 91.47, which I think had good results with other 5200 cards.

If different drivers and changing the settings doesn't work, the only thing I can think of is that your video card has a problem. They can go bad over a period of time from power surges. I had one video card die on me myself under similar conditions.

The card is pretty old and it may be time to consider upgrading to a newer more powerful model. Since your computer is also old, you probably don't want to invest a lot of money in it, but a nice Geforce 7 series card like 7600GS would be a big improvement. The problem is that AGP style video cards are getting harder and harder to find.

ankhtifi

Postby ankhtifi » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:51 pm

I've tried 91.47 drivers, to same effect. I have tried running the game on both the normal settings I used under win2k (Water on minimum, fixed shadows, lower medium other settings) and also on absolute minimum. It seems worse under lower details than on medium.

I might hold fire on a new gfx card, as I have been debating about getting a new motherboard and core components anyway, and am looking at the Nvidia 9400GT as a cheap but reasonably solid solution graphics wise. COTN is only "modern" game I play, so provided it runs well with that, doesn't matter too much about other things.

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:49 pm

Yeah, I'm sort of in that Catch 22 area myself. My computer is almost 7 years old now and I've already replaced my video card 2 years ago because I had to when the original one died. I'm having some problems with some of my other hardware. I don't fully trust my CD-R burn drive anymore. Some of the discs I burn don't seem readable by my other equipment and my sound card is starting to display some problems.

It's to a point where I think I'll just hold on and when the time is right get a entirely new machine. The tipping point will be if any more hardware suddenly dies on me. So I don't want to make any hardware changes that are nothing more than equipment upgrades.

One more thought though, look in you nVidia control panel software and make sure that all your 3D settings are set to "let the application decide".

Return to “Technical Support”