monitor turns off upto date driver

For any technical or performance issues
nzwillie

monitor turns off upto date driver

Postby nzwillie » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:36 am

hi can anyone help me ,i have installed cotnile and when i try and play the monitor goes into power save mode i can hear the music but no picture ,i installed it on my sisters laptop and worked fine so i think its just my computer .i have latest video driver and installed latest dx9 over top of the dx10 also i am running 9800gtx in sli and i took one of cards out with the same problem any help owuld b awsome ,i played it on sisters computer for a couple of hours and i really would like to play this on mine cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:40 am

Is your sister's computer running Vista or XP?

Make sure that the account you are using on Vista has admin rights.

Also, try running the game in the XP compatability mode. You should be able to right click on the cotn.exe file and from the properties menu set the compatability mode for XP.

nzwillie

Postby nzwillie » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:59 am

"Keith" wrote:Is your sister's computer running Vista or XP?

Make sure that the account you are using on Vista has admin rights.

Also, try running the game in the XP compatability mode. You should be able to right click on the cotn.exe file and from the properties menu set the compatability mode for XP.
hi thanks very much fo the help .her lap top is running vista ultimate .ok now i tried xp mode and didnt make an difference but in the .exe propertys theres an option to run it in 640x480 resolution and the start up video plays but when the video ends the screen goes into power save mode again,can hear music but no screen .now im using a plasma tv as the monitor never had issue with any other games
,im thinking that the game is playing in a refresh rate or resolution that the screen doesnt reconize .is there any to change ,o and iv been running with admin rights ,again thanks for you help

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:37 am

The game won't determine the refresh rate, but your video card wil. Many tvs run at different rates than monitors. 60hz is pretty much the standard monitor refresh rate, some LCD monitors tend toward 59Hz but should be set for 60Hz.

Try a standard video resolution like 1024x768, 1280x1024. Some games don't like screens set to 16:9 resolutions like 1920x1480.

nzwillie

Postby nzwillie » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:43 am

"Keith" wrote:The game won't determine the refresh rate, but your video card wil. Many tvs run at different rates than monitors. 60hz is pretty much the standard monitor refresh rate, some LCD monitors tend toward 59Hz but should be set for 60Hz.

Try a standard video resolution like 1024x768, 1280x1024. Some games don't like screens set to 16:9 resolutions like 1920x1480.
hi again iv tried 1024x768 (60hz) and heaps of others but no cigar,any other suggestions i could try ,thanks again for your help

mouse

Postby mouse » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:54 am

There are a couple of issues with your system besides the monitor going into power saving mode. Problem 1. no sound drivers installed Problem 2. If your running the cd version of the game the copy protection doesn't like "virtual drives". Virtual drive software will have to be uninstalled.
As for you monitor have you checked your power options it could be what causing your monitor to time out.

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:27 pm

With the Geforce 9 series and up running under Vista, nVidia introduced a new control on the nVidia control panel software under the 3D settings.

Open the nVidia control panel software. Under the left column select Manage 3D settings. In the right panel window select Power Management Mode and change the setting from the default "Adapative" setting to "Prefer Maximum Performance". See if that cures your problem. If not you can reset it back to "Adaptive".

You can read about it here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:28 pm

My $.02..

Most TV out are running at 640x480 or some ATI TV-out will be 800x600. I think what needs to happen is to start the game in 640x480 or 800x600.

Once the music starts you should be able to hit the spacebar and skip to the menu. Can you see the menus? I think you need to get to the menus just to set the display options.

Or is there some way to specify the resolution when loading?

Good luck!

nzwillie

Postby nzwillie » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:50 am

"Keith" wrote:With the Geforce 9 series and up running under Vista, nVidia introduced a new control on the nVidia control panel software under the 3D settings.

Open the nVidia control panel software. Under the left column select Manage 3D settings. In the right panel window select Power Management Mode and change the setting from the default "Adapative" setting to "Prefer Maximum Performance". See if that cures your problem. If not you can reset it back to "Adaptive".

hi thanks i just checked nvidia control panel doesnt have the power managment in there im down loading the latest nvidia tool set and ill put that on and hopfully it will have that in there ill let you no when iv tried thanks

nzwillie

Postby nzwillie » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:56 am

"PantherX" wrote:My $.02..

Most TV out are running at 640x480 or some ATI TV-out will be 800x600. I think what needs to happen is to start the game in 640x480 or 800x600.

Once the music starts you should be able to hit the spacebar and skip to the menu. Can you see the menus? I think you need to get to the menus just to set the display options.

Or is there some way to specify the resolution when loading?

Good luck!

hi i normaly run at 1024x768 i can start the game in 640x480 and the start video comes up but then when i hit space bar the screen turns off can hear the music but thats all .iv been trying to figure out how to specify res but cant figure that one out thanks

nzwillie

Postby nzwillie » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:59 am

"mouse" wrote:There are a couple of issues with your system besides the monitor going into power saving mode. Problem 1. no sound drivers installed Problem 2. If your running the cd version of the game the copy protection doesn't like "virtual drives". Virtual drive software will have to be uninstalled.
As for you monitor have you checked your power options it could be what causing your monitor to time out.
o yeh i have pulled 1 graphics card out and forgot to put the plug back on the sound card problem now sorted but still the same prob,i have uninstalled virtual drive software uninslalled the game and reinstalled and still the same thanks very much for your help

nzwillie

Postby nzwillie » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:15 am

"Keith" wrote:With the Geforce 9 series and up running under Vista, nVidia introduced a new control on the nVidia control panel software under the 3D settings.

ok now i have hooked up another monitor and the game works but play for like 5 minutes it makes my whole computer restart mso i played the game again but this time i kept an eye on temps and 4 cores running roun 40degrees celcius so its not that .and when i start the game on the computer monitor and change res to 1024x768 then i plug the cable back into the plasma tv it works but still crashes then i go to restart the game on the tv and screen turns off again bloody weird.i dont have any issues with any other game ,cheers

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:09 am

You may want to report the problem to nVidia technical support. The game itself should not be causing this kind of problem.

nzwillie

Postby nzwillie » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:05 pm

"Keith" wrote:You may want to report the problem to nVidia technical support. The game itself should not be causing this kind of problem.

hey thanks heaps i might take the game back get something else .shane though it looks like a really good game
thanks for your help

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:42 pm

I would still report it to nVidia on the chance they may know what to do, because you may run into this problem again at some point. It is possible that the video card itself has a random bug that only gets triggered by CotN. Nothing is impossible.

Return to “Technical Support”