No Interface

For any technical or performance issues
jes3907

No Interface

Postby jes3907 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:29 pm

I just updated Windows and after restarting my computer CotN wont run properly. The game loads and I can access the game itself, however there is no user interface, neither in-game or at any of the menus.

Attached is my current DxDiag.exe print-out
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:50 pm

Even though you have the new DirectX 11 installed with your Windows Vista setup, you may still have to install DirectX 9 to get CotN to work. This sort of thing was also necessary for DX10 as it did not have some of the files that DX9 games required.

The version of the DX9 on the CotN disc is DX9.0b, but the newer 9.0c from Microsoft will generally do too.

Also, before you try installing DX9, try running CotN in the "Windows XP" compatability mode to see if that will do the trick. If you right click on the Cotn.exe file itself and select Properties, then click on the Compatability tab on the menu, you should be able to set the MODE to Windows XP compatability.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:02 am

I don't know whether or not this is helpful, but my new computer that came with Vista Home Premium 64 had no dx problems.

However I have my Windows autoupdater on (always have) & I immediately got a huge amount of hotfixes updates (and a ton of everything else) that probably included the so-called DX problem that we used to read about.

Again, I am a computer dummy, so don't quote me on any of this. All I know is that my games install with no problems. Even Zeus!

I love my new Vista, but as a disclaimer, I have plenty of computer to run it properly.
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Technical Support”