My game will not run.

For any technical or performance issues
Lady Dre

My game will not run.

Postby Lady Dre » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:14 pm

I just purchased a new Dell laptop with Windows 7. I installed CotN with the CD and it ran just fine. I then installed the Enhanced Version patch, now it will not run. I am getting the error message d3dx9_33.dll. I have the most current version of direct X on my computer. Do you have any suggestions on what I need to do to get my game to run.
Thanks!
DxDiag.txt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mouse

Postby mouse » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:01 am

You need to install DX 9c to add files to DX11 which are needed by the game to run.

thechris

Postby thechris » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:01 am

do you have direct X? thats a start

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:11 am

"Lady Dre" wrote:I just purchased a new Dell laptop with Windows 7. I installed CotN with the CD and it ran just fine. I then installed the Enhanced Version patch, now it will not run. I am getting the error message d3dx9_33.dll. I have the most current version of direct X on my computer. Do you have any suggestions on what I need to do to get my game to run.
Thanks!
[attachment=]31515[/attachment]

Mouse is correct the d3dx9_33.dll is a DirectX 9 file that is missing. Installing DX9.0c (the latest version) will provide that file. You should download DX9 from Microsoft and install it.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3

thechris

Postby thechris » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:13 am

im not a good techy lol

setokaiba

Postby setokaiba » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:30 am

O.o'

Everybody is confusing me. Which Direct X is usable and what is a direct link to it, because when I try too look it up or follow the links and download stuff it doesn't help and I still get a stuip missing file error every time.

How do I know that Direct X has installed? I don't see a file in my programs file nor do I see it in my programs list for installing and uninstalling. It really doesn't make any sencse to me.!

Can someone put it in baby terms (point form step by step) for the computerly challenged with no abriviatsions please,... I really don't know what all the letters and numbers mean.... I don't spend my life working on the technical side of a computer and feel totally lost when reading posts people put to help they use a lot of terms and explanations that i've never even heard of an like to abbreviate things, abbreviations that I don't know.

Sorry for the trouble and Thanks.

mouse

Postby mouse » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:37 pm

If your missing file is the one listed in Keith's post above then his post has a link to Microsoft website. To check your DX go to start, run, type in DX diag, click on ok. That will bring up the report for DX then you can look at the contents under each tab and run the tests. It's just common sense how to save the files since there are instructions.

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:29 pm

DirectX is part of Windows and isn't installed as a program in it's own folder. The file that is missing should be found in the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder of your hard drive. All the d3dx9_??.dll files from DirectX 9.0c are located there.

If you use the link I provided above, it will take you to the Microsoft DirectX 9.0c update page.

Instructions

1. Click the Download button on the page to start the download, or choose a different language from the drop-down list and click Go.
  2. Do one of the following:
    • To start the installation immediately, click Open or Run this program from its current location.
    • To copy the download to your computer for installation at a later time, click Save or Save this program to disk.

In step 2, pick one and do it. If you save the dxwebsetup.exe file, save it to someplace where it will be easy to find such as you My Documents folder. Once the file is downloaded you can open your My Documents folder and find the DirectX file that you downloaded and double click on it to run it.

If you choose to run the dxwebsetup.exe download from it's current location it will extract the files and install over the web.

It doesn't matter if you save it and then run it or if you choose to run it from it's current location. Only do one or the other.

The computer will have to be restarted after the install is complete.

You can then look in the C:\Windows\System32 folder after the computer is restarted for the d3dx9_33.dll and other similarly named files if you want to check for yourself.

setokaiba

Thanks

Postby setokaiba » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:20 am

thanks guys. I'll try it this weekend and let you know how it goes.

I do not have internet at home so that link given above may not work for me as I will not have web access for it to draw files from.

Will this be a problem?

mouse

Postby mouse » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:59 pm

You will need o downlaod DX 9c from Microsoft on a computer that has internet access then put the files on a thumb drive to transfer the files. Then you need to run the setup file from he thumb drive to install DX 9c.

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:07 pm

The current version of DirectX is 9.0c and is probably the best to use. You should download and save the file to your internet computer and burn it to a disc, or save it to a USB flash drive and take that home.

However, the game Children of the Nile game itself was released at a time when Directx 9.0b was in use, and, if you have the disc version of the game, the disc has a copy of DX9.0b on it that you can install.

setokaiba

Postby setokaiba » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:43 am

Yes, that's what I find so weird, the game disc does have a version of dirct x on it and i tell it to install everytime.

Thanks for all the help guys, my friend borrowed my game and i'll be getting it back tonight. I'll be using all the tips you have given me. I'll give you feedback tomorrow.

Thank you so much for your efforts, I appreciate it.

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:05 pm

You should not have to keep reinstalling DX9.

setokaiba

Postby setokaiba » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:58 am

I've installed the game, but alas no success with any of the files I saved off the internet. I don't understand why its not working.

The file from the link you provided above needs direct internet access to unpack the files. It only saved the execute file which starts the install but does not have all the files it requires to be installed. I tried several times.

All the other direct X files I downloaded also didn't help. What did help however was you telling me where I could find the files, so I went into my laptop, and found the needed file there as I could play the patch on my laptop and I simply just copied it from my laptop to my new pc.

I don't really get it. I managed to install the needed files onto my laptop and I don't remember how I did it or what I used to get it, but I think you guys may want to look at a getting a proper downloand file added with the CoTN files in you download section that has all the necessary files without having to go to the direct X web page and get given a million differnt downloads that don't work, its really frustrating.

Thanks for all your help though, I really appreciate it.

Return to “Technical Support”