HELP Everytime I try to Quit computer freezes!

For any technical or performance issues
Bastet622

HELP Everytime I try to Quit computer freezes!

Postby Bastet622 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:47 pm

I have had COTN on my PC for about 2 yrs. Recently I wanted to start playing again after a few months break. I can get into the game and play but when i press quit to leave a campaign or scenerio my computer freezes and often times just blacks out and restarts.

I have tried unistalling and re-installing the game, downloading the patch, updating directx, and turning off my anit-virus when I play.

I don't know what else to try. I am not good w computers at all so if you suggest something explain it as if you are talking to a 6 yr old child plz. haha

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bastet622 on Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:51 pm

Hello,

I have not had this happen with COTN but i have experienced it with other games.

I would run Scandisk on the drive and perhaps a defrag, followed by virus checker just for kicks.

Good luck!
:cool:

ptolomay

Postby ptolomay » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:37 pm

I once had this problem, I resolved it by dowloading CCleaner and runing the check for errors in the sistem and in the registration.

Hope that helps.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:22 pm

You may have some sort of hardware problem or software conflict developing on you system. Your dxdiag.txt file reveals that the dxdiag program crashed on you while gathering system information.

"DxDiag Previously: Crashed in system information (stage 3) & DirectPlay (stage 1)"

Also you have one of those "iffy" types of video setups. You don't have a actual video card but rather a Intel Express video chipset. The ability to play games with this sort of setup has been spotty, some can, some can't. Intel says that after their 865 series family of video chipsets their chips support necessary 3D gaming features like Pixel Shaders and T&L effects. But the drivers that the system comes with are what make that work and not all computer makers wrote proper drivers that make use of those features.

So if the game ran before something new has been added to your system in terms of software or hardware that might be causing a conflict with the game, or your computer could be just getting old and starting to show the faults that are developing in various components with age and accumulated damage from voltage spikes and general use.

You might want to check with HP to see if they have a newer video driver for you model computer. Your current video drivers are 5 years old from 2004.

The sound drivers are equally as old.

Your computer is a little shy on memory. It's a 512MB RAM system, but only 504MB of RAM is available to programs because the video chipsets steal away 8MB of that for video memory.

If you have any extra new external devices plugged into the computer other than your mouse and the one monitor that you have added since the previous time when CotN worked and now try unplugging them from the system. Things like external CD drives, mouseball trackers, external hard drives, joysticks.

Usually lockups are sign of some conflict with in the computer's memory. You could have bad RAM strips or there could be some other software or driver. If you have any new software that you have added since you last successfully ran CotN it may have created a conflict with the game. If you can uninsall that software and see if your problem goes away, try that. But only do so if you have a copy that you reinstall later if you want to put it back on your system.

Bad memory strips (hardware) can develope over time. They could have been weak or defective from the start and are only now starting to show problems. I had bad memoy in my brand new computer. For months it would randomly at any moment just freeze up. Dell replaced the motherboard, powersupply, the CPU, and finally figured out that I had a bad memory strip and once that was replaced my system stopped locking up.

Memory strips or other parts of the circuitry can go bad over time. If you don't have your computer protected with a good computer rated surge protector and line filter every time the voltage in your household spikes it does a little bit of damage to these components. They will continue to work for a time but as each event occurs more damage is done and they evetually begin to fail and can cause your system to lockup.

As mentioned a good registry scanner and cleaner like ccleaner or regseeker or something similar can clean out a lot of invalid information in your systems registry file that could also be potential problem causers. These remove invalid or obsolete registry entries and disused registry keys that can cause sluggish system performance and problems. CCleaner is free, I believe. Regseeker is a free program, and I have used that one myself.

A good hard drive cleanup and defragmentation never hurts, even if it says it doesn't need one. Windows Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmentation tools are in your ACCESSORIES > SYSTEM TOOLS folder under ALL PROGRAMS.

There is always a remote chance of some spyware or malware hiding on your system causing a problem so it would be wise to periodically do a full system scan with a reliable virus scanner. If you don't have a Anti-Virus program installed and keep it updated you should consider getting one. If you don't have one try using Malwarebytes from www.malwarebytes.org. It's free and does a good job. Install it, then run it. From the main menu select the update tag and click on UPDATE to get the latest virus definition data files. Once they have been installed, click the OK to clear the popup and go to the Scan tab and do a full system scan. This might take a couple of hours to complete.

If it finds anything it will tell you and ask you if you want to let it remove the malware it finds. Let it and click YES.

If does find something and removes it you should reboot your computer and then do another "quick scan" using malwarebytes again just to be sure it is gone.

Bastet622

Postby Bastet622 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:52 am

Thanks all for replying. I have been using alt+tab to get back to the desktop and closing out COTN that way so my PC doesn't need to restart everytime i am done playing the game.

I have malwarebytes already on my computer so I will have to run it one of these days to see if it finds anything and deletes it so i can exit COTN normally.

Thanks again everyone!

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:43 am

If none of the above works, you can try disabling startup items in your msconfig Startups tab. If you need to go that route just post a note here and I'll give you the instructions.

Return to “Technical Support”