Error message on start-up

For any technical or performance issues
Valar

Error message on start-up

Postby Valar » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:26 am

Every time I try to start the game up (by either clicking 'Play' from the launcher or through the start menu shortcut) the game loads for 30 seconds then comes up with the message "Please insert the original disc instead of a backup."

It didn't do this a couple weeks ago when I installed the game. Any help?

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:54 am

Hello,

This is usually caused by a virtual CD rom driver. You should be able to disable any virtual drive software running and try again.

The techies know better but maybe there is an update available. Post your dxdiag and hopefully someone can come up with a better answer.
:cool:

Valar

Postby Valar » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:07 am

Thank you.

And I'm not running any virtual drives - I've had trouble with them before, so now I always remember to turn them off. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mouse

Postby mouse » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:31 am

You have Virtual ISO dvd rom that is a virtual drive which doesn't play nice with the copy protection. Make sure you have the latest version of DX 9.0c. Check your game disk for fingerprints or scratches that can cause sudden onset of problems. Hope this helps.

Valar

Postby Valar » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:06 pm

Thank you.

MagicDisc isn't running - I've had trouble with it before, so now I always remember to turn it off when I'm done.

When i installed the game, it told me I already had a newer version of DirectX. I could try re-installing DX off of CotN, though.

As for the disc itself, it's spotless. I try hard to keep my game discs clean (which is why I have games from '96 that still work.) :D

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:55 pm

The problem you are having is related to the security software on the disc and not with DirectX. The problem with MagicDisc is not that you have it on or off, but rather that it is installed. SecuROM the game's security software detects many of these types of programs and it may require that you uninstall that program, especially since just turning it "off" doesn't seem to do the trick.

The last thing you can do is is run the Analysis program provided by SecuROM.

With the game disc in the drive, right click on the cotn.exe file in your game's install folder on your hard drive and from the list click on "Launch Analysis". Let the program finish. Locate the AnalysisLog.sr0 file in your C:\ drive root folder (directory). WinZip that file and attach it to a email addressed to support@securom.com. Describe the problem you are having and the error message you are getting. Be sure to put the name of the game in the email message title. Send that email with the attached zipped file. They will examine the file and let you know what you can do.

Return to “Technical Support”