BEX error?

For any technical or performance issues
Esrya

BEX error?

Postby Esrya » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:57 pm

Hi, I just got Children of the Nile - Enhanced Edition.
When I run CotN.exe, the game starts up, the green bar loads, the moviething plays, but after that my screen turns three different shades of grey and then the message CotN.exe stopped working suddenly pops up. I tried running as Admin, running in Windows XP compatibility mode, but the problem's still there.

Maybe this might help. (I'm sorry it's in Dutch, but I come from the Netherlands)

Probleemhandtekening:
Gebeurtenisnaam van probleem: BEX
Naam van de toepassing: CotN.exe
Versie van toepassing: 1.3.0.1
Tijdstempel van toepassing: 490f1078
Naam van foutmodule: CotN.exe
Versie van foutmodule: 1.3.0.1
Tijdstempel van foutmodule: 490f1078
Uitzonderingsmarge: 004d1047
Uitzonderingscode: c000000d
Uitzonderingsgegevens: 00000000
Versie van besturingssysteem: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.11
Landinstelling-id: 1043
Aanvullende informatie 1: 7e83
Aanvullende informatie 2: 7e83cfb5ef1e4433ea6a531287d0eb45
Aanvullende informatie 3: 1437
Aanvullende informatie 4: 14379e63cec8e9ba390917e4e48924b2

PS: I'm sorry if I did anything wrong, I'm new here, and Dutch, so my English is not very good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:44 pm

Unfortunately, the problem seems to be due to the fact that your graphics setup does not support the graphic features required by the game.

You have a Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family. These wont' work for many games that have higher graphic requirements.

Esrya

Postby Esrya » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:47 pm

Thanks for the reply! I guess that must be it, but Caesar IV etc. all work?
Anyway, thanks, I'll just have to wait untill I can afford a newer PC!

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:05 pm

Howdy, Esrya!

Please keep in mind that I am not a Tech Team member in any way. However, your post about Caesar IV running. I'm surprized that C4 runs on your computer but COTN won't. Both TM games & C4 requires a much bigger computer than COTN does.

Have you tried updating your DirectX from this link?

Even pitiful computers can usually run the COTN tutorials with their tiny maps. Better graphics needed for campaign maps.

You posted that you got the enhanced version & that might require a better graphics card. Since you cannot buy enhanced on disk, I take it that this is a download version? Which download provider did you use? Also, what operating system are you using?

EDIT: Whoops, missed your dxdiag. You are on "Windows 7 Starter 32-bit" (Is that the beta?). COTN/Alexandria runs fine on my W7 Home Premium 64.
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Esrya

Postby Esrya » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:35 pm

"Tinkerbell" wrote:Howdy, Esrya!

Please keep in mind that I am not a Tech Team member in any way. However, your post about Caesar IV running. I'm surprized that C4 runs on your computer but COTN won't. Both TM games & C4 requires a much bigger computer than COTN does.

Have you tried updating your DirectX from this link?

Even pitiful computers can usually run the COTN tutorials with their tiny maps. Better graphics needed for campaign maps.

You posted that you got the enhanced version & that might require a better graphics card. Since you cannot buy enhanced on disk, I take it that this is a download version? Which download provider did you use? Also, what operating system are you using?

EDIT: Whoops, missed your dxdiag. You are on "Windows 7 Starter 32-bit" (Is that the beta?). COTN/Alexandria runs fine on my W7 Home Premium 64.

Thanks so much for replying! Yes, I updated my DirectX, still got the same problem.
I played CotN once on my friend's computer, and I asked where to buy it. She said her dad downloaded it and he was so kind to burn the game for me, and it worked fine on my previous pc, but I don't know where he downloaded it from.

I tried to install the 1.3.0.1 patch, but I got an error that dbareaeffect.dat was an unknown version?

Maybe I have an illegal version, I really don't know! :confused:

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:24 pm

"Esrya" wrote:Thanks for the reply! I guess that must be it, but Caesar IV etc. all work?
Anyway, thanks, I'll just have to wait untill I can afford a newer PC!

I am also surprised that Caesar IV runs and not CotN. That is strange.

The Microsoft information on the BEX problem does reference that a corrupted DirectX install could cause the error as well. You may want to attempt a reinstall of DirectX.

If you care to, here is the link to the Microsoft troubleshooting information for Flight Simulator X. The information is pretty universal and you just need to swap in the game you have a problem with where it reads "Flight Simulator X" in the top half of that entire page.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925722

soulz

Postby soulz » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:16 am

I also recieved a BEX error however i do have a nvidia geforce 310M
i'm assuming it's powerful enough to run the game however, the game keeps crashing as i double click cotn.exe it goes to loading screen, bar fills up all good then goes back to windows and says : COTN has stopped working, when i check the details it shows: problem event name: BEX

please help =(
thanks

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:18 am

BEX refers to Buffer Overflow Exception. (See: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc738483(WS.10).aspx)

If this is a XP system go to START > MY COMPUTER.

Right click on MY COMPUTER. On newer WIN 7 or Win8 you probably have a desktop icon labeled "Computer." Right click on that and proceed.

Click on Properties.

Click on Advance tab.

Click settings button in "System Performance".

Click "Data Execution Prevention" tab.

Set it so that "Dep is turn one for all programs...."

Click the ADD button.

Select the program executable mentioned in the BEX error message that is giving you the BEX error message from the displayed menu. You may have to browse to find the file.

Click Apply.

Close all menues. Try the program again.

IF that doesn't fix the problem you can return things to the way they were by removing the program from the DEP exception list and resetting DEP so that it covers just the essential Windows applications (default setting.)

Still not sure:

Watch these.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEkoK3EHOlU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YTBL_Vm29I

For some reasson, Windows is seeing your game as a threat and DEP is shutting it down, hence you get the BEX error message. Adding the game EXE file to the DEP exception list should prevent the problem.
Last edited by Keith on Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

soulz

Postby soulz » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:41 am

keith

thank you for taking the time in helping out.
i will try to follow your instructions and hopefully the game will work =) crossing my fingers and i'll keep you updates here in a few

cheers

soulz

Postby soulz » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:01 am

ok here's the update,

did the whole right click my computer steps. and added the game along with the shortcut and game gave same BEX error.

went online and searched how to completely disable DEP restarted and game gave same error.

resetted everything and game gave same BEX error.

i have a geforce nvdia 310M i know it's not the graphic card i'm at this point in the middle of the ocean as far as how to get the game to launch =(((

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:08 pm

I don't have an answer for you other than the one I've provided. Microsoft and just about every other technical support board I read on the BEX problem all recommende disabling DEP.

What version of Windows are you running?

Have you tried running the game in the compatability mode? Try setting it for Windows XP.

soulz

Postby soulz » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:34 pm

hey keith

you've been more then helpful i can't thank you enough
i'm running windowns 7. my system is a 64-bit operating system.

one little thing i noticed after following the steps to turn DEP on except for the programs that i add , after doing so i usually reboot the system since it tells that the changes will occur after a reboot however once i reboot my system and come back to that window, the game isn't found in the list of programs i added, the only strange thing i noticed thus far.

perhaps i should try and full reinstall or a reset.
I have tried all options believe me =( .
it's ok no worries i'll find a way somehow without messing up the game or my system =).

thanks a million once again

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:58 pm

Stupid question.... did you click on APPLY and OK after you added the game to the DEP exception list?

You may want to try just uninstalling the game and reinstalling it from scratch before you start messing with Windows itself.

Try installing the game from the Windows SAFE MODE and then reboot back to the normal mode. Once installed reboot to normal startup and then try the game again.

Return to “Technical Support”