The game crashes on stupid Windows 7 :(

For any technical or performance issues
Psylocke

The game crashes on stupid Windows 7 :(

Postby Psylocke » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:10 pm

Got a brand new Windows 7 (imho it's utter crap; i really miss good ol' XP!) and i installed the CotN game today, from disc, and added the UK Patch. Reinstalled it when it gave me troubles at the start-up because of DivX. then I even managed to locate the Saved game folder so I could restore my game from the old computer.
Everything worked perfecty fine for several hours, but now for some reason, it crashed.
Tried it again, crashed within a minute.
Rebooted the computer, unchecked the Compatible for XP to see if it made any difference, crashed within a minute. (during the actual game)

Help, please!!! i can't imagine living without this game but don't really have room for another computer just so i can have XP and all my games on it... :(

ETA; My current city is Djedu and it's not exactly big, I'd say. Just tried to play a new city 'from scratch' and it went fine. Does that mean I'm limited to having small-ish types of cities? That'd be ironic since I was told that W7 could handle big stuff. As Djedu looks now i can't evolve it into anything. I also tried to lower the quality settings but that didn't help at all. All the custom items worked perfectly on XP and they're copied from my backups, so they shouldn't cause the problems...right?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Psylocke on Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:18 pm

In addition to running it in the XP compatabilty mode, try the "Run As..." administrator setting.

Also, it is possible that is your save game having a problem and cuasing a crash. You may want to attach a copy of a save of the city you were working on so we can download it and see if it crashes on our machines as well.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:28 am

Howdy, Psylocke!

COTN should work fine on W7 vanilla w/o any compatability/run as Admin changes, cuz I have it. However, I now play Alexandria via Steam, so I never installed my disk yet on W7.

I did have the disk on Vista before I did a clean W7 install, but never patched it, so I don't know about Enhanced patch with disk.

Couple of things from your images.

Some computers don't like totally plazing our cities, especially big cities with plazas under buildings. Second, I see you have modded your game. No idea if mods & W7 have confilcts.

I take it you have done all the DirectX upgrades that Vista/W7 require?

Good Luck! :)

Psylocke

Postby Psylocke » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:15 am

"Keith" wrote:In addition to running it in the XP compatabilty mode, try the "Run As..." administrator setting.

"Tinkerbell" wrote:Some computers don't like totally plazing our cities, especially big cities with plazas under buildings. Second, I see you have modded your game. No idea if mods & W7 have confilcts.

Tried to run as an admin, but it didn't work either. Also tried to remove as much plaza as I could, but didn't get very far before it died. (what can i say? i love the plazas xD)
About the mods, it's weird how the game worked just fine for quite a long time. It's only now when the city is growing that the game is crashing. if the mods had something to do with it, wouldn't it have happened sooner, though? :/

"Keith" wrote:Also, it is possible that is your save game having a problem and cuasing a crash. You may want to attach a copy of a save of the city you were working on so we can download it and see if it crashes on our machines as well.

Attached. *chews lip*

"Tinkerbell" wrote:I take it you have done all the DirectX upgrades that Vista/W7 require?

Yeah; i have both the version that the game requires and the latest one.

Thanks alot to you both for helping me out!! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:06 pm

Well, the "good" bad news is that the save game crashes on my system as well. So it doesn't appear to be a problem with your game itself, but rather with the save file. I run Windows XP here.

It crashes at approximately 6:31am game time each and every time. So it looks like the problem is in the save file itself. I even made a save when your city started and tried running from that to see if that would make any difference.

Try playing from a earlier autosave or manual save of your city. If that doesn't do the trick try starting it over from scratch. You can also try removing many of the plaza tiles as suggested by Tinkerbell and see if that will salvage what you have.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:52 pm

Yep, crashes on me at the same time. 6 AM is when people wake up & start their daily business.

I cannot find any obvious reason, Psylocke, sorry!

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:03 am

I tried as well on XP. I not only deleted the plazas, but also a good deal of decorative sprites. Still crashes. So I don't think it has to do with pathing issues or too much to do for the pc, since the city and map are pretty small.

I really can't help with this one, besides assuring that it doesn't have anything to do with WIN7. Maybe you try an older save.

btw, which scenario is this? I didn't look into the editor, maybe a trigger is misfireing at this point?

Psylocke

Postby Psylocke » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:02 pm

Thanks alot to everyone for the help!!! :)

Earlier saves & autosaves didn't work; they all reached the crash point, with or without plazas. am kinda curious as to why & what was wrong with the file, as i keep having the worry that the game will crash later (I've restarted the scenario and it works fine for now)

"sakasiru" wrote:btw, which scenario is this? I didn't look into the editor, maybe a trigger is misfireing at this point?

It's Djedu, the one with the journey around Africa.

Alizeefan

Postby Alizeefan » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:48 pm

Hi, it's been a while since i've been here.I have Windows 7 on my PC now and i presume the game works with this.

What do i have to install now?
First the game of course.If i install Alexandria do i need a previous patch or not?
With Windows Vista you needed to install also other stuff to make it work, is that still necessary with Windows 7 ?

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:41 pm

I don't know anything about Win Vista or Win7, so someone else will have to answer that. (I am on XP.)

However, I do know that if you install the Alexandria version, you have the most recent patch. No earlier patches are required to play.

Janmar

Postby Janmar » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:07 pm

I run on Win 7 with absolutely no problems. I use mods, tiles and I have all the settings at maximum. Of course, I have a really high end machine that I built myself but that shouldn't make a difference as long as you have Win 7 it should install fine. I am running Alexandria.

Alizeefan

Postby Alizeefan » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:03 pm

Thank you. I will give it a try this week.

Return to “Technical Support”