Can I install COTN/C4/SCS on this laptop?

For any technical or performance issues
Herodotus

Can I install COTN/C4/SCS on this laptop?

Postby Herodotus » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:20 am

My gaming PC failed, and all I have now is a new laptop.
Is there any point in me even trying to install COTN, C4 and SCS?

It's not a full gaming laptop, just shared graphics, but it does look quite high spec and I thought I might get away with it. However I have seen so many disappointed people on this forum over the years I thought I'd ask first.
Last edited by Herodotus on Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:14 pm

Most of the specs look good. My usual concerns on laptops are graphics and sound. It looks like you have the HP G62x model with the i3-350M Intel processor. It uses some of the system RAM for video operation like most onboard chipset systems.

HP offered ATI mobile Radeon graphics as an option on the G62 series, but you had to get your computer with it installed. Since you have yours already it's too late to worry about that now.

I can't say for sure, but my guess is that you should be able to run the games on your current system. The system appears powerful enough for games like CotN, Caesar IV, and SCS.

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:05 pm

Thanks Keith, I had to get this laptop because it was on sale at a reduction of £170 so it was the best value one I could see.

I'll post problems on each game as I come to them:

COTN

I can install the game and run it patched to 1.2 OK. So that is good but the upgrade to 1.3.1 doesn't work.
(Just to remind you that mine is the Sega version)

Firstly the 1.3.1 upgrade doesn't recognise the correct Program (x86) directory (1.2 does BTW), you can't browse to it, only change it manually. It seems to install, but doesn't go through any of that moving stuff to a Tilted Mill directory that I remember it ought to.
If I try to run it afterwards it says there a dll missing.

So at the moment I am running at the 1.2 version which seems OK.
I think it might be because the 1.3.1 upgrade is bemused by having a Programs and a Programs (x86) directory to deal with but that's just a guess.

I'll try C4 and SCS later but I'll wait to see if you can suggest anything about 1.3.1 first.

Thanks so far

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:06 am

You should have no problems with your system because I am running CotN 1.3.1 and CCR on an HP Compaq 6230 with an ATI Mobility Radeon X300 video card and my system is less specs than yours. I'm using XP Pro is only difference.

Try looking in Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Immortal Cities.

Also UK version needs UK patch, just in case you didn't know.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:25 am

What is the name of the missing DLL file?

If it is "d3dx9-something.dll" then it's related to DirectX. You may need to install DirectX 9.0c, although others have reported that they are running their games on just DirectX 11.

If the install still won't run, try running it as the administrator. Right-click on the game install setup.exe file and then choose "run as..." and select administrator.

I don't believe that Sega released a 1.3 version of the patch. Their Immortal Cities website only has links to the 1.2 patch, but the link is dead.

The TM Immortal Cities website had the UK patch:

http://www.immortalcities.com/cotn/files/CotN_v1.3.0.1_UK.exe

Under Windows Vista, it was sometimes necessary to run programs in the Windows compatability mode. I have XP, so I do not know if Win7 has it, but if it does, try setting the mode on the patch file exe to "XP".

Look for a SEGA folder in the programs_X86 folder on your HD to be sure that the patch everything is there. You can check the version of the cotn.exe by looking at it's properties menu under the version tab.

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:38 am

Thanks Keith & Tom

I'm well aware of the different country patches, thanks.
I always make sure of that and in any case I always save correct patches on an external USB drive backup so I don't have to find them again.

I tried installing the patch again chosing run as administrator. This time it allowed me to browse to the x86 directory. I don't know about XP compatibilty mode, I am too new to windows 7 to say one way or the other. I can't see it on the right click menu.

The properties say it is now version 1.3.01 and the install said it went ok.

The missing file is d3dx9-33.dll.
What effect will installing dx9 have on all the other games and the rest of the system? I don't want to try this until I know it is benign. and if anything needs dx 11 it can still access it. (sorry to be a wussy). I'd be interested to know if Tom did this as his system is similar.
BTW Version 1.2 runs OK without dx9 so why should 1.3.01 need it?

Also I have a memory of doing it before and weren't a lot of files deleted from Sega and reinstalled in a Tilted Mill directory which is newly created by patching. (Not sure whether these were game files, scenarios or saves) I can't find any TM directory.

I don't have to install the 1.3.0 patch before the 1.3.01 patch do I? Just checking.
Last edited by Herodotus on Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:49 pm

Good, you should now be fully updated.

The missing d3dx9_33.dll seems to turn up a lot when there is a problem. For some reason it is always the file that seems to be missing. Perhaps they used an updated DirectX when they created 1.3 and before that the library file was not needed.

I got the same error message about d3dx9_33.dll on the wife's computer a couple weeks back. She doesn't play games on her machine but the program I wanted to run required a install of DX9.

Installing DX9 should cause no problems on your computer. It will just help you play all those older games that seem to require those files.

Get the latest version of DX9c from Microsoft though instead of the one on the disc itself. They update DX9 regularly and the last one was just a couple of months ago.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&DisplayLang=en

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:01 am

That seems to have fixed it. Thanks Keith -- you're a star :D

Cotn works now. Incidentally the moving of files from Sega to a TM directory happens when you first run the game after the 1.3.01 patch.

EDIT: C4 works as well but the game is a bit clunky with lag - it may be unplayable but I'll give it a go. I already set video to minimum.
Last edited by Herodotus on Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:44 pm

Great! :D

The lag is probably due to your laptop's graphics system, the on board Intel chipset.

Try running in a lower screem resolution in the game. Your desktop is a wide format (1366 x 768) and requires a lot of graphics power. Try a resolution like 1024x768 in the game's video settings.

Another thing you can try is to locate the caesariv.ini file in the folder where the game was installed.

Open it with Windows Notepad text editor.

Change "full screen mode 1" into "full screen mode 0" then save the file as ceasariv.ini (not caesariv.ini.txt...check the file name again after saving.) It should be a simple matter of overwriting the "1" with a "0" (without the quotes.)

You can do the same for CotN.

You can even set the game screen resolution by changing the lines that control the width and height

Example:

Game Window Height 768
Game Window Width 1024

The windowed mode seems to help ease the load a bit on the graphics processor because it's usually a smaller video area to process.

Return to “Technical Support”