How do I turn on 3D acceleration?

For any technical or performance issues
Alexander Macedonia

How do I turn on 3D acceleration?

Postby Alexander Macedonia » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:25 am

My game is very sluggish on a computer well past the requirements. When I chose to change settings in game it refers to being able to turn on 3D acceleration in the main menu but when I got there it is not listed.

The only categories are Screen Resolution, Graphics Quality, Custom Graphics Settings. There is no box or option to turn on 3D acceleration or change my video card.

Here is a pic of what I see at my main settings screen:
http://i.imgur.com/whWac.jpg

My computer specs:
i5 750
GeForce 8800 GTS 512
4GB RAM

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:51 am

3D acceleration is a funciton of your video card.

You should a a nVidia control panel on your system tray in the lower right corner of your computer or in your nVidia section of your Start>All Programs>nVidia of your start menu. Open that and look in the 3D Settings section for the 3D acceleration setting.

Usually the options are to manually set the function to on, off, or let the application decide. Let the application decide is usually the best because it turns on when it is needed and off when it is not.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:09 am

Hi Keith,
I know how much you love this stuff so here is something I found..

COTN does not really seem to be using my GPU... :confused:

While playing, the game is quite chunky and I have played with the in-game settings quite a bit to find a balance between pretty and smooth.

I have a very nice machine, Q6600 Quad with 4GB ram, Nvidia 8800GTS 1GB on P5N-E SLI MB running Win7 64bit.

I recently upgraded to Win7 and installed the desktop widget called GPUMonitor. While playing other games (Sims3 - RCT3 - Avatar) I can watch the GPU meter either at 100% or pretty close to it.

While playing CoTN the monitor sits about 16% with my processor sitting about 50%.

So this thread made me decide to look into it a touch more. In the Nvidia control panel under 3D Settings and Manage 3D settings and finally under Program Settings. CoTN was not automatically listed. I added it and checked all the settings to make sure all looked good.

It made no difference.... :(

So I am wondering, Since I never installed DX9 is it possible that the CoTN Graphics engine is not hitting my hardware?

Any idea how I can check to see if DX9 is installed?

Should I install DX9? and if I do are there any known problems or conflicts?

FYI: My CoTn install is Impulse CoTN + Alexandria
:cool:

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:58 am

Since I don't have Windows 7 myself I can only speculate on what might be going on there. Windows 7 comes with DX11. It and DX10 are supposed to be backwardly compatable to DX9 and are are supposed to be able to emulate DX9 routines.

I have not seen any reports of problems or conflicts from people that have installed DX9 on newer OSes like Vista and Windows 7.

CotN was developed to run on DX9, since Vista and DX10 was only in the beta stages at that time. So the game relies on routines in the DLL files written for DX9. Some of the later updates to DX10 and DX11 seen to let some games run by not all. Probably because they lack these specific subroutines found in DX9.

I would try the MS updater first. This updates what you have to the latest version and doesn't install the full DirectX package. Try the game again after. You probably have to reboot first.

Microsoft DirectX web updater:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en#QuickDetails

Brief Description

The Microsoft DirectX® End-User Runtime provides updates to 9.0c and previous versions of DirectX — the core Windows® technology that drives high-speed multimedia and games on the PC.
  • Supported Operating Systems:Windows 7;Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1;Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2;Windows Server 2008;Windows Vista;Windows XP Service Pack 2;Windows XP Service Pack 3

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:35 am

Thx dude, I updated via the link but it didn't change anything. So it's the same way the game has played since my first copy, slow and chunky. I find it very interesting that neither my CPU or my GPU are really getting used. I am also very curious as to what is causing the bottleneck in the gameplay although we may never know.. ;)

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:40 am

Try turn all the game video settings to low or off. If it is still slow or sluggish there's something strange going on.

If it speeds up, just pick one control at a time and raise it in increments, checking the game between each change. If you hit a point where you max out or the game slows, back off a notch. Then do the same for the next video control in the game.

It may take a while but only do one control at a time until it is maxxed or you get slow performance.

judgen

Postby judgen » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:04 pm

"Alexander Macedonia" wrote:My game is very sluggish on a computer well past the requirements. When I chose to change settings in game it refers to being able to turn on 3D acceleration in the main menu but when I got there it is not listed.

The only categories are Screen Resolution, Graphics Quality, Custom Graphics Settings. There is no box or option to turn on 3D acceleration or change my video card.

Here is a pic of what I see at my main settings screen:
http://i.imgur.com/whWac.jpg

My computer specs:
i5 750
GeForce 8800 GTS 512
4GB RAM

They lie to you, 2003 has the same 3d and 2d acel capabilites as XP. The settings is in dxdiag>display>2d acceleration>enable after you have clicked that button the lower button for 3d acceleration is no longer grayed out and you can enable 3d as well. I know i am many years too late. But i figured that if any other comes across this forum (i registered just for this reply) when searching for this issue they might find it as it is the top search result.

PCDania

Postby PCDania » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:47 am

Errrmm, this thread is from February 2011....

Return to “Technical Support”