"Children of the Nile has stopped working."

For any technical or performance issues
Joosef Watson

"Children of the Nile has stopped working."

Postby Joosef Watson » Sat May 18, 2013 12:56 pm

I recently bought "Children of the Nile: Enhanced Edition" from Steam, but the game refuses to start. All I get is an error message "Children of the Nile has stopped working." I have tried all the basic tricks, like re-installing, running it as an administrator, different compatibility modes, tweaking my graphic card´s 3d-settings, putting the game exe on DEP exception list etc. etc.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems or have any tips as to how to get the game working?

I'm running the game on Windows 7. I tried uploading Dxdiag.txt as an attachment, but the upload kept failing.
Last edited by Joosef Watson on Sat May 18, 2013 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat May 18, 2013 3:29 pm

The attachment function on the board is disabled due to previous spam attacks.

Did you try running the Windows Program Compatibility Tool? Try running it and then from the list of options at the very top it will say "Not listed" (or similar). Select that. Then BROWSE to the cotn.exe file in your game folder and select that file and press OK or whatever the command to proceed is.

I have Win8 and had to use PCT on two games that installed, the "not listed" routine above did the trick.

If the steps above don't work, retry it but make sure that you select the advanced option on the PCT main menu and select "Run as administrator" and leave the "Apply repairs automatically" checked. Then click NEXT. Then choose "not listed", etc.

Joosef Watson

Postby Joosef Watson » Sat May 18, 2013 4:36 pm

Hi Keith,

using the Program Compatibility Tool as you advised ends up in a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error, followed by the "Children of the Nile has stopped working." Checking for possible solutions via the program gives a notice "Troubleshooting has completed - Issues found: Incompatible Application."

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun May 19, 2013 1:16 pm

Too bad it didn't work, it was worth the shot though.

Since this is a digital download version of the game you should probably get in touch with Steam tech support and see if they have an answer.

Every once in a while playing Caesar IV, I will get that "has stopped working" error message too. But I'm usually able to restart it and load up my last save to continue. I noticed that I had more of a problem with it stopping when the city I was building required a very large population of 10,000.

But in your case, you aren't even getting into the game.

Joosef Watson

Postby Joosef Watson » Mon May 20, 2013 7:22 am

Hi Keith,

I'll try turning to Steam tech support with the issue. Nevertheless, thank you for your help.

Joosef Watson

Postby Joosef Watson » Mon May 20, 2013 11:39 am

Hi again,

I decided to try the demo of Immortal Cities: Children of the Nile downloaded from your website, and the same problem occurred. It would seem that the underlying cause of the issue is not related to Steam or the digital download version, but rather the game itself, and contacting Steam tech support wouldn't really be productive. That being said, I'll keep on trying to figure out the solution, and I would appreciate any additional tips or ideas you might have regarding the issue.

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon May 20, 2013 12:13 pm

Well, good luck. I don't work for Tilted Mill so don't get the wrong idea there. :)

Joosef Watson

Postby Joosef Watson » Mon May 20, 2013 1:31 pm

Hi Keith,

I did indeed mistake you for Tilted Mill's tech support personnel. That being the case, I owe you even bigger thanks for your input in trying to solve the problem. :)
Last edited by Joosef Watson on Mon May 20, 2013 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon May 20, 2013 4:20 pm

No problem. I always try to help people out here.

People that have digital download versions are supposed to contact the digital vendor that the game was purchased from for "official support." The reason there is that they make changes to the game so it can run without a disc from their site.

Dennis

Children of the Nile has stopped working

Postby Dennis » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:23 pm

I have exactly the same problem. Any news on how to resolve it?

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:29 pm

One way to keep Windows 7 and 8 from giving you that error message is to add the game to the Data Execution Prevention list in the Advanced settings of your Systems folder.

A quick Google search of "Windows 7 (or 8) program has stopped working" will bring up a number of sites that refer you to the steps needed to add the program exe file to the DEP exception list.

"Windows 7 data execution prevention disable"
"Windows 8 data execution prevention disable"

By adding the program exe of the program you are having trouble with to this list will keep the Windows from terminating the program when it finds program code that it thinks is suspicious.
Last edited by Keith on Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

texasmine

CoN has stopped working on Steam

Postby texasmine » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:35 pm

I also run Windows 7 and have the disk; however, I also run it on Steam so as to have the Alexandria enhanced version.

The desktop computer gives me the "CoN has stopped working" error whether I am on Steam or on the disk; my laptop runs both. Obviously, the desk top is the problem.

I shall try your solution, Keith. Thanks for continuing to be "the" go-to guru. I've tried the other games and Pharaoh and CoN are the only 2 I enjoy.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:08 pm

Good luck and let me know how it worked out. I get that "stopped working" message every once in while running Caear IV. I haven't used the DEP for it. I usually save my game often enough that restarting from the termination point isn't such a hassle.

texasmine

Postby texasmine » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:33 am

I decided to try GoG.

Return to “Technical Support”