Crashing Problem of, Course...

For any technical or performance issues
hkocurek

Crashing Problem of, Course...

Postby hkocurek » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:29 pm

Installed CotN and it ran great. Installed the updated pach and it gave the d3dx9_33.dll error. Followed the link, installed, and extracted the DX 9. Now it goes to the main menu, allows me to go to campaigns, but crashes to the desktop when its loading. It says an error has occurred.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:39 am

Try running Windows 7 Program Compatibility Troubleshooter on the cotn.exe file.

Run the PCT utility, select the option to run as administrator, and then from the menu browse to the install folder where the game is and select the cotn.exe file.

Also, try selecting the option to run the game in the Windows XP mode.

hkocurek

Postby hkocurek » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:58 am

Did this, no improvement...

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:59 am

Does it say at all what sort of error has occurred when it crashes when loading the campaign?

Try a smaller screen res like 1024x768 just to see what will happen.

Try using the lowest graphic settings in the game to see what will happen.

You'll have to exit and restart the game after each change above. Do one at a time.

Try setting the game to "no sound" to see what happens. If there is a problem with the sound driver this might reveal it.

hkocurek

Postby hkocurek » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:49 am

No, doesn't say what kind of error is crashing the program :( I was already on 1024x768, but lowered it to 800x600...same result. Lowered the graphics and turned off the sound, still does the same thing.

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:58 am

I would say, try uninstalling the game and reinstalling it again. Just to be sure there wasn't a corrupted install.

You may want to try disabling the antivirus program while doing this.

The only other things after that to try are different (older/newer) versions of the video driver. You'll have to uninstall the one you have before installing a different version. Uninstall, reboot, don't let Windows install a video driver when it detects a new device. Then run the driver install program from the desktop.

It gets complicated with other things to try so I'll only mention these right now.

Return to “Technical Support”