CotN keeps crashing NOT solved

For any technical or performance issues
Jytte

Re: CotN keeps crashing NOT solved

Postby Jytte » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

Went back to CotN, crashed it again, at 16:44
Still no log of the event, just another set of crash dump files.
Did I turn something off I shouldn't have??
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

RJG

Postby RJG » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:55 pm

Hi Jytte,

No you can't turn that off. Sort by Date and Time and locate that time. Make sure you are under windows logs, system. If you do not have an error there then look under application for the time it took place.

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:06 pm

RjG,
I did, several times. Sorting by date and time. The latest show an info log on 16:59, before that an info log on 16:28. Nothing in between, and no error logs.
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:12 pm

Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:14 pm

got error logs under applications... logs coming up
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

RJG

Postby RJG » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:17 pm

Hi Jytte,

That is crazy. I have no clue right now. Are you under an "administrator account" or a "user account?" How did you computer guy config you?

RJG

Postby RJG » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:30 pm

Hi Jytte,

Great...This will take some time. Back as soon as I can. If anything turns up under system, post that. When you get a crash like yours it usually happens in two places. If it records under system, then windows is having the issue. If it records under application, then the application is having the issue. So your issue is with COTN. Check resolution setting, VGA drivers, anything graphic related.

Thanks RjG

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:35 pm

Hi RjG,
I will not try to run CotN until I hear from you.
I have an nVidia card, but my monitor is on the internal Intel graphics, because that had the HDMI plug, the card not. It has always been this way, and I made no changes before CotN crashed the first time. Now of course it could be different, but I checked that all graphics drivers are update. I will check again.
Thanks, Jytte
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:39 pm

When I installed CotN, I only opened it up, then closed it again, to get the ini file in the local folder. Then changed it to windowed mode (because it doesn't crash my PC as well then) and set it to 1600x900 res, which is what I've run with for years, the only res that lets me work properly in it.
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:07 pm

Now I remember (it's been 3 years)...
The nVidia card does in fact have a slot for HDMI, mini. Reason for my putting my main monitor on the Intel card was that I needed to use a second monitor, and that could only be added to the nVidia card... as far as I recall. I experimented with different setups and that worked. Besides CotN doesn't really need a fancy card.
The secondary monitor has not been in use for quite some time, and AFTER the crashing of CotN started I pulled it off the card (because of the constant crashes, my windows kept popping over to the other off monitor sitting on my piano a ways off).
So, the setup I have now it the same setup I had before, and that worked fine.
I checked again that all drivers are updated, they are.
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

RJG

Postby RJG » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:34 pm

Hi Jytte,

Event ID 1000 application error is a pretty generic error. It gives very little information on exactly what COTN executable does not like about your system. Now when you get the error under “system logs”, you usually can locate and fix what the system doesn’t like. Unfortunately for us we are not getting a system error.

All I can tell you in your case is that there are a lot of things that cause this generic 1000 error. The most common are, corrupted system files, corrupter game files, or a VGA driver not handing the resolutions properly. Yes there are many others but in your case I don’t think they apply.

On my system I have had crashes running COTN in windowed mode. Not a lot, but I have had them. I just thought I would put that out there.

Personally, I now believe your problem is graphics related. Forget what worked before because after having a new drive installed and a fresh Windows 10 operating system, that working setup is long gone.

What I would try for a test is having just one monitor connected to the computer and making sure I unplugged the other monitor completely. Shut the system down, restart and try playing COTN.

If you could, go into the device manager and under display adapters post what adapter it has listed. Also, check the driver that is installed for this adapter and post that info.

Sorry, that is the best I can tell you at this point. If the system gives you an SYSTEM ERROR when playing the game, post it.

Thanks… RjG

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:17 pm

RjG,
I HAVE only one Monitor connected, ever since I got the PC back. And the drivers are updated.
The crashes occur whether I'm in full or windowed mode, I hate windowed (screen too small) and only use it to limit the crashing to CotN itself, as it will sometimes freeze to a point where I can only pull the plug on the PC.
I ran a system file scan yet again, and that is ok.

I've checked for updates and they all have the latest.

What I'll try next is to turn off, put the monitor on the nVidia card (if I can find the cable), reboot, and see what happens,

Thanks, Jytte
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

RJG

Postby RJG » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:34 pm

Hi Jytte,

Are you willing to do a test? It could really help us get this solved. Edit that ini file back to non-windowed mode. Start the game, go to game settings and select 1024x768x32. Set graphics quality to "best performance." Exit COTN, restart the game and play the game and see if you can get it to crash.

Thanks…RjG

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:26 pm

Hi RjG,
I'm willing to do anything to solve this :lol:

I just changed my monitor over to the nVidia card (which involves a lot of crawling under the desk, which ain't easy for an old cripple like me).
HDMI cables only choice for that.

So started up. Screen looks like it's covered in dust (and it' isn't). Went to setting and is now waiting for download of new drivers, which here in the boonies takes a while.

Soon as that is done, I'm hoping for a nicer picture. I'll try to adjust the nVidia settings if needed, and if I can figure out how.

And then I'll re-install CotN (took it out) and have another go at it. First just normal I guess.

Then if needed, I'll do your test.... 1024x768.. uh, I've got a widescreen.

Thanks, Jytte
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:33 pm

And, btw, why is Windows telling me I'm all 'up to date' on drivers, when as soon as I went into the nVidia card and looked at the driver (hadn't needed to do that before as it wasn't in use)... it's downloading for updates. Hmpf.
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

RJG

Postby RJG » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:07 pm

Hi Jytte,

My test is nothing more than a test. It is just temporary. Once we figure out the issue you can configure it anyway you want. Make sure you follow my instruction to the letter. Not only do we want 1024x768x32 but you need to set graphics quality to "best performance." Exit COTN, restart the game and play the game and see if you can get it to crash.

The driver for your VGA is here……

https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/141906

The download is your choice. If you are happy with your driver that is fine but this is the latest. January 15th 2019.

I will check back later….Thanks....RjG

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:20 pm

Hi RjG,

After updating the drivers, my monitor looks nice again.

And I did exactly that. New install. Opened CotN. Stayed at 1024x768x32 and with 'best performance'. I didn't exit the game though, just ok'ed it.
I opened up Iunu again. Lined up the sites like ducks in a row. Moved them sideways, saved, exit, moved saved.. for a while. Fine
Then I add a new site, enemy fort, enemy site, on 365-370, saved, exit, picked back up move a site or two, CRASH.

The same behaviour as usual. How is this a graphics problem? It's like there's a 'thing' saying 'you can do what you want except put something here'.
REALLY weird.

The driver you linked, isn't that the driver I just downloaded (inside device manager, display adapters, updated the drivers)?

Thanks, Jytte
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:34 pm

Downloading the driver linked.
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Return to “Technical Support”