CotN keeps crashing NOT solved

For any technical or performance issues
Jytte

Re: CotN keeps crashing NOT solved

Postby Jytte » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:53 pm

RjG,
I'm now going to uninstall CotN.
Then I will install the driver you linked, if it wants to.
Then reboot. Install Cotn. Run your test to the letter.
Thanks,
Jytte
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:33 pm

Hi, RjG,

Installed the driver. Rebooted.
Reinstalled CotN. No system error logs this time.

Opened Cotn. 1024x738x32, best performance. Closed out.
And btw, the image in there looks better than it ever has before.
Reopened. Made a copy of Bubastis.
Started by putting my usual enemy fort in 365-370.
A few more moves, CRASH.

Events:
http://cotn.christrup.net/COTN/Forum/ErrLog23-21.txt
http://cotn.christrup.net/COTN/Forum/InfoLog23-21.txt

Thanks, Jytte :(
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:44 pm

RjG,
Ran another test, this time running 'as administrator', which I never did before all this crashing and testing, and it does not seem to make any difference.
Molested Iunu this time. Put a fort in hot spot right away. Took a few more saves and moves than usual to crash, but it did.
Jytte
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

RJG

Postby RJG » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:47 pm

HI Jytte,

The three dcom 10016 errors you got are not related to the game. This error has been a problem with windows 10 for some time now. It can be fixed but only for a period of time before it happens again. I would leave them alone at this point. Briefly explained, these errors occur when the service for Windows Security Center, wscsvc, has a delayed start while other services are also trying to start that have a dependency to this service. This all happens early in the startup process. Once that service wscsvc starts, the error ends and all is well again without any side effects.

Back to your issue. ……Being you say the Steam version did the same thing, I guess I have to rule out the GOG version. Sure it can be many other things, like a bad memory chip failing or a VGA card that is failing, etc. But no matter what is causing this issue, you would get crashes running other applications and you are not. Your crash has to do with this out of date game we all still love and play. Maybe Tilted Mill should come out with an updated version!

Something on that system is causing the game to become unstable and crash. As I said earlier, the most common for a game crash is graphics but usually when you set the game as I had you set it, it would run and yours does not. This is very strange.
Let me look over your latest two errors and see what they might be saying.

Thanks, RjG

RJG

Postby RJG » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:11 pm

Hi Jytte,

Nothing in these application errors give us a clue. All they are saying is COTN crashed. We know this! On this last crash Windows did log the errors under program data, a hidden folder, but it is useless to us.

Going to have to think this one over....RjG

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:51 pm

Hi RjG,

This is indeed very strange. I would expect arbitrary crashes it there was a fault in a card or chip. And with other software too.
Nothing else on my PC is acting up whatsoever. And I can open a scenario and move sites around till the cows come home just fine, as long as I stay away from that area (not limited to 365-370). This is SO specific, and THAT is beyond strange.
And don't forget, I got the same error exactly on the other PCs. If I hadn't I'd probably given up by now and just wait to get my laptop back. Unfortunately that won't help me.

I tried to blame GOG, but Steam makes no difference. I tried to blame Microsoft (I love to do that anyway), but all the updates I got, you all got too, and none of you have that problem. I would have loved to blame the repair shop, but this happened before the crash (even it might have been part of the problem). It can't be the install file, because I've changed that out several times now. I've scanned everything up, down and sideways, there are NO bad files on my PC, plus how would that interfere with the others?

If it wasn't for the other computers, I'd be SURE there was some conflict in my PC, but that don't add up either.
I even thought that it just suddenly didn't like the Users\Jytte folder and it being on E (you DO get desperate), and created a whole new user-document area just for that. No difference.

I thought of getting a registry-cleaner and try that out, I also tried to clean it out myself (can always go back to a restore point, which I ended up doing). But it wouldn't be a problem on any other PC.

What I don't get is the success I thought I had. I really moved a lot of things. And picked up the file I got back from Atatnall. That worked too. Was it just deciding to stay up a little longer that time, to fool me??? As soon as I picked up a file I had worked on previously on the day things went south (not one that had crashed, nowhere near) it started crashing all over.

It's like someone handing you a spreadsheet going 'some of the cells you can't use, or it'll crash, and you can only use a cell so many times, or it'll crash'.. makes no sense in any way, shape or form.

It's like a bloody minefield, and I don't get it.

Oh, I wish Tilted Mill would come out with a new version, what I wouldn't GIVE for that. Or even a possibility to talk to this people, or get some support, but they apparently stopped caring about this game and us a very long time ago.

I installed CotN the first time after only installing my basic software for work and such. Nothing spectacular, and nothing that isn't on the other PCs as well. We're talking Office 2003, Thunderbird, Firefox, Google Earth Pro, VLC media player, all on the other PCs. Tencent QQ, Corel Paintshop Pro X8, Audacity, Wavepad are specific to mine, but all have been on there since years. So has Kompozer and WS-WTP, both stone age tools, that still work wonderfully and I love them. Apart from these all having worked with CotN before, I also tried to run the game in clean boot, NOTHING else running, and still it crashed. So no software conflicts.

Thanks, Jytte
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:58 pm

PS. I wouldn't say I'm the ONLY one with a problem. Having scoured through many posts on forums, there are quite a lot of people who just ended up giving up on it. It's just that it worked for so long, and suddenly not.

And now it's way past midnight again, and I have work day tomorrow.
'night all.
Jytte
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:23 pm

Work done, family fed, I'm back trying...

RjG, you seem to know something about graphics (I really don't)...
I'm not exactly sure when it started doing it, but at some point CotN started showing 'desktop' instead of the usual black screen when going from a save or exit or whatever. I just thought it was weird, but soon the crashing bit took over my thoughts.
After I got the 'new' PC back and through all the misc installs and tests, it did that too. To my limited understanding of how these things work, that spells 'something wrong in the graphics department', does it not? (now thinking about it afterwards)
So, now I changed the monitor to the nVidia card. Apart from the game 'looking better' it also stopped doing that. Now I get the normal 'black screen' when it switches from one mode to another.

I looked through the settings on nVidia control panel. Under 'manage 3D settings', under 'program settings', CotN wasn't in the list, so I added it. Makes no difference though.

Not sure what else to look for.

Still scouring the web for any sort of pointers of what to do next.

Jytte
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:35 pm

Another thing, no idea if that is any clue...
Before, It would, quite often actually, when going from editor to play usually, it would give me a screen with white flicker lines on it, and screen would come on/off intermittently, so it was hard to exit the game. After restarting the game it was then fine again.
It was doing that for a long long time, probably always, and I just chucked it up to 'CotN peculiarity'.
I haven't been on the nVidia card long enough to see that, plus it crashes on me before I get to do much anyway. But might that be gone too? Might that have been a 'mismatch' with the Intel built-in card?

RjG, you mentioned that you worked 'pretty fast' on CotN. This has always been a problem for me. I had to teach myself to count 'one banana, two bananas' between clicks, like saving and exiting and from editor to play to pick up a scenario... or it would crash. I thought, well it's an old game that's just how it behaves. So that is not normal either?

I'm just putting these things out there, in case somebody smarter than I will pick up a clue.

Jytte
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

RJG

Postby RJG » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:13 pm

Hi Jytte,

This has also happened to my game a few windows 10 updates ago. Basically our game is starting to become less and less compatible with windows 10. As windows 10 keeps improving their system and its framework, it just creates these odd issues with certain older games. Trying to run these older games in compatibility mode is also a waste of time IMO. That only creates more problems.

Now, I can only tell you what is causing my system to give me this same issue you are having. Yours can be something completely different because there are so many different possible setups with a million different monitors and display adapters all set at different resolutions and refresh rates. On my system if I were to remove the cotN.ini file the first time I start COTN it will not flicker back to the desktop. Once I exit the game and return to the desktop, the next time I start the game, the desktop flicker is back because Windows 10 is now taking control of the resolution change. If you want, you could test this on your system just by removing the cotN.ini file so it has to create a new one. Save the old one somewhere so you can paste it back. You might get the same results.

For me this is not a big deal and it doesn’t affect game play.

The editor for me has never been an issue. I might crash once in a while but I move around place to place pretty fast with very few issues.

RjG

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:27 pm

Hi RjG,

I'm sure you're right, and these so-called 'improvements' will shoot us out of the waters eventually.
But this can hardly be a compatibility problem, as it does the same crashes on the old XP.
OH I WISH I hadn't killed my old XP with the game still on it.
The flicker wasn't a big issue either for me just the occasional annoyance.
It can flicker and be bad tempered as it always was for all I care, just let me create a world level, please.

Tried a few 'fixes' found on forums, all to no avail. I keep trying.

Jytte
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

RJG

Postby RJG » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:10 pm

Hi Jytte,

I agree your crashes are certainly not a compatibility issue. What Pharaoh might you have upset? It is obvious he or she is located at 365-370. :lol:

I guess we should be thankful we are still able to enjoy this game. For how long is anyone’s guess

RjG

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:21 pm

Hi RjG,

If I knew which one, I'd make amends ;)

This thing is so specific, there HAS to be a fix.

Jytte
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:39 pm

Wellll, gog-support had suggested that I set up a temporary user and install it there.
So, I tried that too.
new account, new install (had removed it on mine first), new tests... (mindnumbing!)
Put an enemy fort on 300-250 and scooted sites around, doing the usual in-between saves and exits, added a few enemy camps for good measure, scooted and scooted, all fine.
Then I moved the fort to 340-350, saved, exit, open, moved a site, BOOM.

This is maddening, and I'm all out of ideas for today.
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

RJG

Postby RJG » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:57 pm

Hi Jytte,

Check one thing for me. I see you know how to check the Windows registry. I want you to see if you have these entries and if so do they have a lot of subfolders under each? Now don’t remove anything. I repeat, don’t remove anything.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore\Children

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore\Parents

Thanks, let me know….RjG

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:20 pm

Hi RjG,

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore\Children
Yes, piles and piles

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore\Parents
Yes, piles and piles

Thanks, Jytte
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:33 pm

Note: I have turned OFF any and all things in settings\gaming (after I tried installing CotN the first time)

Lot of good turning off things in settings do you really, some things keep running whatever you do.
I again disabled peek (it bothers the heck out of me when using my daily files), not happening, so I'll have to go into registry to fix the timing of it. Again.

But since I'm expecting having to use one of my restore points again, there's little point in making too many changes beforehand.

In settings btw, I first installed CotN, crashed, then slowly turned off things (I want most things off usually) in settings, testing CotN in between. No difference.
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

RJG

Postby RJG » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:35 pm

Hi Jytte,

Good, you should have these and don’t delete them. I was afraid when you cleaned your REG of COTN that you may have removed these thinking they were connected to your COTN game. They are not.

This is just another crazy thing built into Windows that most people will never use. To open this feature you press Windows key + G.

To read about it check this link below.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3188242 ... -know.html

RjG

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:36 pm

... And I will return to a restore point, if for no other reason than registry now has piles of entries for Users\Cotn.. the temp user I set up to test, and removed again.
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:37 pm

RjG,

Yes, I removed a lot of things in registry, for testing.. but I returned to a restore point BEFORE all these changes. So it's 'untouched' as such.

Jytte
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Return to “Technical Support”