If you have problems with CotN - README

For any technical or performance issues
Keith

If you have problems with CotN - README

Postby Keith » Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:02 am

If you are having techincal problems with the game, not installing, not running, black screens, no sound, etc., etc.

PLEASE run DXDIAG and save the results to your computer. Click START then RUN and type DXDIAG and click OK. Once the program is fully loaded, SAVE the results to a folder on your computer.

Then upload that file to your problem message via the MANAGE ATTACHMENTS button below the text box area where you type your message. UPLOAD the DXDIAG.TXT file. Close the window, then SUBMIT your message.

This will save us all a lot of time and will give us a better idea of what the problem may be on your computer. It will also get you answers much quicker.

Tilt

Problems

Postby Tilt » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:54 pm

I defragged my hard drive before I installed CotN but cannot play past the tutorials (which I can play more than once, but am bored with by now). Haven't tried snapshot but trying to run either campaign or scenarios crash my system. Turning off the sound doesn't seem to make any difference. I have attached my dxdiag file and would be grateful for help! Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:14 pm

Hans from TM looked it over in the other thread you posted and pointed out your card is below minimum requirements for Children of the Nile. Here a list of cards that do work and those that don't work:

http://www.tiltedmill.com/forums/showpost.php?p=34204&postcount=6

hohoyt

Postby hohoyt » Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:07 pm

Dear Keiht,

I would do that too. But the game lets both of my computers crash. Blue sreen at win2003 and I have that never seen before at win2003. so therefore can't get the DX file... have post the problem more detailed in a other thred hear.

ROXANNEM

Problem With Running Game

Postby ROXANNEM » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:45 pm

:confused: THE GAMES STARTS AND WE CAN ADJUST SETTINGS AND RUN THE TUTORIALS BUT STARTING A SCENARIO OR CAMPAIGN CAUSES A BLACK SCREEN AND THEN A BOMB OUT TO THE DESKTOP. THE TUTORIALS ARE REALLY GREAT BUT MY KIDS ARE ABOUT TO LOSE THEIR EGYPTIAN RELIGION BECAUSE THE CAN'T REALLY PLAY THE GAME. I'M UPLOADING MY DXDIAG.TXT WITH THIS MESSAGE. PLEASE HELP. WE LOVE THIS GAME!!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hans Schroeder

Your video card

Postby Hans Schroeder » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:38 pm

Roxannem, your video card, S3 ProSavage DDR isn't supported, similar to the case in this thread. If you upgrade your video card you shouldn't have any problems, judging by the rest of your system and the fact that you were able to play the tutorials.

AnjoDeHades

Postby AnjoDeHades » Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:22 am

After some time the game it stops and it appears this message of error below.

sonal

CotN crashes on Scenarios and Campaigns

Postby sonal » Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:07 pm

hi, i get the "would you like to send Microsoft a report of this error screen" and CotN crashes whenever i try to play a campaign or a scenario (the tutorial was fine!),

please help!

the dxdiag is attached,

thanks
sonal

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:13 pm

AnjoDeHades wrote:After some time the game it stops and it appears this message of error below.

Your audio drivers are a bit old. Try updating them.

You have the game installed on drive E:. You may want to try drive C: instead.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:16 pm

sonal wrote:hi, i get the "would you like to send Microsoft a report of this error screen" and CotN crashes whenever i try to play a campaign or a scenario (the tutorial was fine!),

please help!

the dxdiag is attached,

thanks
sonal

I'm not sure, but your video card may not be compatable with the game. The game requires DX9 compliant hardware. The video card must be able to support Transform and Lighting (T&L). Here is a list of some popular video cards:

http://www.tiltedmill.com/forums/showpost.php?p=34204&postcount=6

Your audio drivers are a bit old too.

Hans Schroeder

One other thing to try

Postby Hans Schroeder » Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:08 pm

AnjoDeHades wrote:After some time the game it stops and it appears this message of error below.

Try increasing the amount of virtual memory you are using. Information on how to do this is listed in the FAQ.
Last edited by Hans Schroeder on Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added link

TeddyFrance

Can't Play

Postby TeddyFrance » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:15 pm

Okay i have installed the game fine, but, i only have a monitor with 800x600 as max res, therefore cannot see the game screen as its all fragged up!!

Im using win server 2003, and the display options allow me to increase the screen size but obviously the monitor cannot handle it!!

Are there any command line parameters that allow me to start the game in 800x600 resolution??

Cheers

Hans Schroeder

Try changing your CotN.ini

Postby Hans Schroeder » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:03 pm

Check my instructions at the end of this thread.

If that doesn't work, please post your DxDiag for further troubleshooting. Thanks.

TeddyFrance

More Probs

Postby TeddyFrance » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:02 pm

Right, I have managed to solve the first problem, by changing about 50 registry entries, but now the game finishes the intro sequence then where it would normally display the menu screen, it black screens on me and the game closes, i ran drwatson32 and found an access violation error bla bla bla..
attached docs,

Hans Schroeder

Two things

Postby Hans Schroeder » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:29 pm

Try updating your graphics drivers. I believe the game should be able to run on the Intel graphics chip you have, but your problems could lie there.

Also, increase the amount of virtual memory you have allocated. Between the 256MB of physical mem and the small amount of virtual memory, you may have too little to run CotN. Instructions for increasing virtual memory can be found here .

TeddyFrance

But..

Postby TeddyFrance » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:40 pm

Just wondering, why did the game (in theory) load the menu in 1024x768 (even though i couldnt see it properly) and now not work in 800x600??

downloading latest drivers now, plus intel say the card has enough cpu power to get over the T&L problem

Pandemonis

Postby Pandemonis » Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:09 pm

I have recently downloaded the demo version of CotN, and installed it on my computer. When I try to start the game, it freezes (completely, keyboard, mouse and hard drive) on the loading screen before the bar is completed.

As it is the demo version, I dont know if the retail patch will fix anything.

I enclose my dxdiag file.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Pande.

Hans Schroeder

Not enough memory

Postby Hans Schroeder » Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:29 pm

You don't have enough memory to run Children of the Nile (or the demo). Also, in order to play I would use a different video driver, the 53.04 driver.

Pandemonis

Postby Pandemonis » Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:36 pm

I have a strange thing with my memory as it often recognizes only 64MB while 128MB are installed. Some installations sometimes prompt me that I have unsufficient memory (64), and sometimes prompt me that Imy system have enough memory.

Shouldnt the installer prompt an unsufficient memory instead of freezing the computer ?

As well, thanks for pointing me to this new driver.

tbbentle

Problems after installing patch

Postby tbbentle » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:29 pm

I downloaded and installed the patch for the retail version. Now my computer will not authenticate the disk. I have attached the dxdiag file for review.

Return to “Technical Support”