If you have problems with CotN - README

For any technical or performance issues
Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:06 am

It has been normally recommeded that XP users use Nvidia drivers 61.77.

However, your sound drivers are 6 years old...antiques. You should update them.

Also you still have an old ATI driver file in the registry. See this section of your DXDIAG.TXT file:

------------------------------------
Inactive Display Entries in Registry
------------------------------------
Card name: RAGE PRO TURBO AGP 2X
Driver: ati_drae.drv
Card name:
Driver:
Card name:
Driver:
Card name:
Driver:
Card name:
Driver:
Card name:
Driver:
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
Driver: nvdisp.drv

If the file related to this entry still exsits, along with other ATI files, this could be causing problems.

Raccoon_TOF

Postby Raccoon_TOF » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:35 am

Actually the 61.77 drivers are the ones that work best in most cases.

Manni

Postby Manni » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:19 pm

Sorry but theworkingguy uses Windows ME referring to his dxdiag with vidia 61.76 at the moment.
I have copied the earlier advice to use the vidia 53.04 , if I`m not completely wrong.

------------------------
here is the original line:

win ME:
Update your NVidia drivers to the 53.04 ones found here.
Last edited by Manni on Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:10 pm

Yeah, you are right the last certified drivers for ME was 53.04.

theworkingguy

Postby theworkingguy » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:23 am

Thank you. I will give that a shot. Could you direct me to the nvidia drivers 53.04? I would appreciate it.

As to the sound drivers I don't know what to say. I have updated them. I bought the sound blaster live xgamer about 3 to 4 years ago, installed those drivers, & have updated it a couple of times from creative labs. Less than a week ago was the last time. I am not sure what I did wrong. I uninstalled the old ones first, then installed the new ones. I will look through it all & try it again. Thanks.

theworkingguy

Postby theworkingguy » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:55 am

Okay, I just rechecked the drivers list for my sound blaster Live x-gamer sound card on creative labs site. I don't have the 5.1 card, so I have to use the standard Live! drivers. The lastest driver available was Oct 2000. I have gone through my driver CD that came with my sound card & it is the same drivers. So I guess all I have ever done is reinstall the old drivers because there is nothing newer. If anyone knows of any newer drivers for my sound card that I am not finding, please help me out. That is the one thing I have really enjoyed is listening to people chat in this game. I would hate to have to turn off the voice or sound while playing.

If I can't solve this driver issue with my sound card I guess I will need to replace it. Can anyone recommend a good sound card for me. Something good but at a reasonable price.

mouse

Postby mouse » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:44 am

The new Creative cards Audigy and Audigy 2Z are great cards that come in a wide range of prices :D There are still 5.1 cards available and they are very inexpensive.

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:43 am

Here's a link to the 53.04 drivers.

I found the following for your SB Live! dated 9/2002:

Sound Blaster Live! Driver Pack Description
This is a complete package for Sound Blaster Live!, including drivers for Win98/98SE/Me/2K/XP, Playcenter 3, Recorder, MiniDics Center, and Remote Center.

theworkingguy

Postby theworkingguy » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:00 am

Thank you mouse & keith.

I know my current sound blaster live! x-gamer is not a 5.1. I have been doing a lot of checking & found that creative labs just slapped on that name. It is actually just a plain old sb live! value.

I tried downloading those drivers you put up keith, but it refused to install because it said I wasn't operating win 2000 or xp. & I don't think they would have worked anyway since mine is not a 5.1. But, I did find info, on my sound card, on another game site & followed their directions. I ran dxdiag, & found that the sound drivers are now newer. Though June of 2000, they are still newer than the 6 year old drivers previously.

I also went through the registry & removed all the old references to the ATI video card I previously had. I installed the 53.04 nvidia drivers. I ran CoTN, but still ended up with the same result. Though now I can play for about an hour to 2 hours before it quits. So I am making progress. But I don't believe it is a sound issue. I shut off vitually all of the sound & the problem still happened. I guess I just have that lemon video card. Funny, I go out & buy a FX 5200 with 256mb so I can have a good size video ram, hoping that would be good for all the games I play. & up to now, haven't had a single gaming problem. Now I get CoTN & have to downgrade the drivers & still can't get the game to work. Maybe if I downgrade a few more times, I will be able to play for 2 to 3 hours. I guess I will just need to save, exit, restart my comp, & start the game back every 2 hours to play this game.

Manni

Postby Manni » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:48 am

@theworkingguy

Your dxdiag says you have an Athlon Processor, MMX,3DNow, ~1.0GHz.

As you say you can play for some 2 hours and then it quits. Does the pc freeze or do you end up on desktop?

Considering that after 2 hours of CotN-play your town should have "some size" by the time.

I would say that either your Athlon can`t handle the "load" anymore or there is an overheating problem............your page-file seems ok.

When you start to play, make sure you shut down all unnessecary in systray before...... even virusguard, to give all the power to the game.

Do make sure that at the start of CotN there is nothing left in c/windows/temp (hold it: there is no temp-folder in ME, is there??...remember-remember..... Keith???)

Only the other day I had openend my pc to give it a thourough clean with brush and careful vac inside............maybe you could try that as well for example.

My pc is not a year old and it was an amazing load of dust inside.

Manni
Last edited by Manni on Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:04 am

I can't swear to it since I don't have ME. But XP has one. In fact it has several, one under C:\Windows\Temp and one in each user account under C:\Documents and Settings\useraccountnamehere\Local Settings\Temp, but this last one is in a hidden system folder that you must first make visible via the folder settings. This latter folder is the one used by the accountname you use when logged in on Windows XP. My guess is that ME may be setup the same way.

Manni

Postby Manni » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:06 pm

I can`t swear either!
Of course there are several in XP, visible and hidden.
For the last 11 hours I have been on a win98SE laptop and there is a Temp in C/WINDOWS too.
But I could "nearly" swear that there is none in ME...........anyway theworkingguy could check that out and make it definit.

Mikaz

Help

Postby Mikaz » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:13 am

I cant describe my problem very well, because my english is poor.
When I start scenario, the view starts to blink, flash and double.
Thanks for help

I added some screenshots with the problem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mikaz on Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:03 am

Uninstall your current Nvidia 66.93 drivers and install the 61.77 drivers instead. Make sure you uninstall the drivers you have now.

61.77 has proven to be the most stable and trouble free of th recent driver versions.

Userhotep

Slipped screen

Postby Userhotep » Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:50 pm

When I launched the game second time this happened (see the pictures). The loading screen doesn't matter, but I can't see the informations on the map. Can you help me?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Userhotep

I know this problem!

Postby Userhotep » Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:52 pm

Mikaz wrote:I cant describe my problem very well, because my english is poor.
When I start scenario, the view starts to blink, flash and double.
Thanks for help

I added some screenshots with the problem.

Try 16 bit colour!

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:40 pm

Or try a lower screen resolution from the game options menu. If you can see the settings there, you can manually edit the cotn.ini file in the game folder using Notepad.

Change:

Game Window Height 768
Game Window Width 1024

Try:

Game Window Height 600
Game Window Width 800

Just make the change on the resolution lines and resave it as cotn.ini.

Other than that, you may have to uninstall and reinstall the dirver again just to make sure that nothing went wrong the first time.

Louise

Postby Louise » Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:42 pm

I'm also still having problems with the game. After playing for only a few minutes the screen freezes and I have to switch off my computer and reboot. I have downloaded 62.77 driver, I have changed my page file, I am running with screen resolution of 800x600. I attach my DxDiag :confused:
Last edited by Louise on Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mouse

Postby mouse » Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:11 pm

Your video card driver is too old dated 11/03. You need the driver version 61.77.

kmwhite0913

help, please

Postby kmwhite0913 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:10 am

Having trouble...thanks in advance for your help. I get the "CotN has experienced a problem and needs to close" message...updated what I thought I needed to update (video and sound card drivers)...and now I can't even get the game to launch--neither from the cd, from the desktop shortcut, nor from my computer.
I just installed the patch, but it doesn't seem to be helping, either. (Did just get it to run, but it crashed to the desktop with the above message--needs to close--)
I've run DXDIAG, but it doesn't appear to show the updates.
:) Katie
Last edited by kmwhite0913 on Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Technical Support”